Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In your opinion whose songs all sound the same?

Options
  • 08-11-2011 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

I hear arguments like this everyday so I thought I would create a thread for it.

What artists/bands in your opinion have songs that more or less all sound the same? I will list the main three that come to my head;

1. Adele - yes I know she has a fantastic voice but I really would like to hear her experiment more

2. Westlife - always seem to be rewording the same melody, especially with the new song they played on the Late Late Show last week

3. Mumford & Sons - the entire album, everything is literally just that

I can't think of anyone else just now:p

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Ha- Mumford and Sons were the first ones that popped into my head when I read the thread title. Same inane pseudo-folk shoite with the one note banjo chorus. Gowls.

As much as I enjoy AC/DC, I have to admit that most of their stuff sounds exactly the same. Maybe therein lies the appeal though? You know exactly what you're getting with them, every time!

Thankfully you don't hear too much about them any more, but a few years ago you could hardly switch on the radio without hearing The Feeling and pretty much every one of their songs was interchangeable. Zero imagination, just four or five inoffensive radio friendly variations of the one song.

I'm sure I'll think of others but those are the first to spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Scouting for Girls spring to mind immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Metallica. They have a few standout songs but the rest is rather forgettable. Let's pretend Lulu doesn't exist either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Metallica.
    :eek: You seriously think all Metallica songs sound the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I've always hated this sentiment.
    Generally speaking, an artist/group will have a stylistic idiom that goes a long way toward defining 'their' sound. So on first glance, of course everything will sound the same. Moreover, if every song by an artist was stylistically completely different, they'd probably be criticised for their inconsistency.
    Even with AC/DC, because the songs are stylistically similar in much of the albums, there's a tendency to say they all sound the same, but really they're not. I played in an AC/DC tribute thing for a while years back, and becoming familiar with each song backwards and forwards I could see how different the songs were from each other. Maybe the big big hit singles for them were more closely related to each other.. I also found that AC/DC's song structures were more complicated than I had appreciated. Their use of rhythm is very idiomatic, the downbeat never seems to be where you think it's going to be, or where it's "supposed" to be.

As for Mumford & Sons, same argument really. I'm not a fan of them, although I do think Timshel really stands out.

You're right though karaokeman, people throw this argument out there all the time, and it's usually from people who aren't really familiar with the artist/group, or at best, who are only familiar with the singles rather than albums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Status Quo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Morrissey !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Red Hot Chilly Peppers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

There was a recording studio in Sweden years ago where the guy who ran it liked a particular guitar sound. Therefore every band that recorded there ended up sounding very similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

AC/DC and Motorhead are pretty much the obvious ones. Was never really a big fan of both of them but I guess they both just stick to a formula that works and feel no need to experiment and try something different.

The songs on the last few Slayer albums pretty much all sounded the same as well, felt a bit too repetitive at times.

Someone already mentioned Scouting For Girls. Christ, whenever I heard a new song of theirs on the radio it had the EXACT SAME tune as their other singles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

There was a recording studio in Sweden years ago where the guy who ran it liked a particular guitar sound. Therefore every band that recorded there ended up sounding very similar.

That doesn't mean all their songs sounded the same though.

Are you talking about the Gothenburg sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

James blunt

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fluff_daddy

Vengaboys

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Tool.

I forgot to mention Sleater-Kinney. Even though I'm a fan and have all their albums, I do admit that a lot of their songs do tend to sound the same. That's no means a bad thing as they had a sound that was theirs and it worked for the most part. You know what you are going to get with every album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Oasis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭harsea8

M people (god i hate her voice)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Coldplay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

the smiths, pixies, rihanna, paramore, greenday, limp bizket and every modern rapper

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

ac/dc
    bon jovi
    kiss
    brian adams
    def lepard
    westlife

and of course

meat loaf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

RC88 wrote: »
    the smiths, pixies, rihanna, paramore, greenday, limp bizket and every modern rapper

the pixies have a very distinctive sound

What Smiths and Pixies albums have you listened to? I find there is quite a bit of variety in both bands' discographies. Also have you heard every single modern rapper there is today? Wow that's some feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Bob Dylan - All miserable shíte I cant distinguish any one of his songs from the rest, dont get his appeal at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Bob Dylan - All miserable shíte I cant distinguish any one of his songs from the rest, dont get his appeal at all

lolwut

pixies
    Jesus wept, this thread gets better and better.
    animated_facepalm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Admittedly I haven't heard too many songs by the band but every Linkin Park single I can remember all followed pretty much the same pattern. Nice guitar chimey hook, shouty rap verses and a strained shouty singalong chorus.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

Scouting For Girls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Pighead wrote: »
    Admittedly I haven't heard too many songs by the band but every Linkin Park single I can remember all followed pretty much the same pattern. Nice guitar chimey hook, shouty rap verses and a strained shouty singalong chorus.

You just stated the reason why you think all Linkin Park songs sound the same.

You "haven't heard too many songs by the band" and you mention every single you've heard. By "every" would you be referring to every single Linkin Park ever released or is it a select few?

Unless you listen to their full albums, track-by-track it won't be that difficult to think every song used for promotion sounds the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Gotta be Adele - boring sh*te.

Advertisement