Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In your opinion whose songs all sound the same?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The National - I do like some of their songs but listening to it while driving once I couldn't actually distinguish when some songs ended and new ones started.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Pighead wrote: »
    Admittedly I haven't heard too many songs by the band but every Linkin Park single I can remember all followed pretty much the same pattern. Nice guitar chimey hook, shouty rap verses and a strained shouty singalong chorus.
    This sums up their older stuff quite well:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

karaokeman wrote: »
    You just stated the reason why you think all Linkin Park songs sound the same.

You "haven't heard too many songs by the band" and you mention every single you've heard. By "every" would you be referring to every single Linkin Park ever released or is it a select few?

Unless you listen to their full albums, track-by-track it won't be that difficult to think every song used for promotion sounds the same.
    Not quite sure what your point is here. Are you saying that it is normal for bands to release singles that all sound the same?

I do take your point that I'm not very well qualified to judge Linkin Park on their entire output but with regards to their singles all I can say is samey samey same same.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ahoy hoy

As much as I like Snow Patrol, all their music seems to rehashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Pighead wrote: »
    Not quite sure what your point is here. Are you saying that it is normal for bands to release singles that all sound the same?

No but sometimes you might hear only two singles from a band and think they sound the same.

For Kings of Leon it could be Sex On Fire and The Bucket but until you've heard the rest of their single discography you will see there is some experimentation down the line, say when you compare those two songs to Pyro.

Other times all of a band's singles might sound the same but its their style so most of what is given to radio stations will be similar. I think this is what Scouting For Girls do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Surprised no-one has mentioned DragonForce. I listen to them a lot, and although I do have my favourite songs, they really don't make a huge effort to make each song distinct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

Zero1986 wrote: »
    What Smiths and Pixies albums have you listened to? I find there is quite a bit of variety in both bands' discographies. Also have you heard every single modern rapper there is today? Wow that's some feat.

i'll admit a few pixes songs are quite good(Here Comes Your Man, where is my mind to name two) but most of em follow the same loudquietload format, either the verse is loud and the chorus is quiet or vice versa, just makes em sound a bit samey to me

and with morrisseys dreary lyrics makes every smiths songs one big snoozefest for me

RC88 wrote: »
    i'll admit a few pixes songs are quite good(Here Comes Your Man, where is my mind to name two) but most of em follow the same loudquietload format, either the verse is loud and the chorus is quiet or vice versa, just makes em sound a bit samey to me
    That's a weak argument. Their whole alt-rock sound is based around changing dynamics but just because songs follow a certain format doesn't mean they're all the same. You might as well say all their songs follow the same verse-chorus-verse etc. structure. Here's two Pixies songs that follow the load/quiet/load format to an extent. Do they sound the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Enya, same new age over produced crap sound on each "song". They all actually sound like this old Bord Gais ad called 50-50 cashback!

Malice wrote: »
    That's a weak argument. Their whole alt-rock sound is based around changing dynamics but just because songs follow a certain format doesn't mean they're all the same. You might as well say all their songs follow the same verse-chorus-verse etc. structure. Here's two Pixies songs that follow the load/quiet/load format to an extent. Do they sound the same?

i get what yer sayin(it may be a weak argument), but its as the saying goes "its just my two cents", what sounds like gold to one person may or may not sound good to another, thats been the way of music for years, i'm not asking anyone to agree or disagree with me

take me for example, im a massive pink floyd fan, have been for years and i remember some of my mates quoting the floyd as a band who just make 10 minute songs of noise and pointless solos, something i argued over with them for years , just shows that no two music fans are the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

pixies

:eek:

the band that inspired a generation of musicians, couldn't be more incorrect if you tried

but my vote goes to Coldplay

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

PaulieC wrote: »
    The National - I do like some of their songs but listening to it while driving once I couldn't actually distinguish when some songs ended and new ones started.

Insanely dull band.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

i get what yer sayin(it may be a weak argument), but its as the saying goes "its just my two cents", what sounds like gold to one person may or may not sound good to another, thats been the way of music for years, i'm not asking anyone to agree or disagree with me
    That's fair enough but the topic at hand isn't "Bands that I don't like" or "Bands that don't sound good to me".
    RC88 wrote:
    take me for example, im a massive pink floyd fan, have been for years and i remember some of my mates quoting the floyd as a band who just make 10 minute songs of noise and pointless solos, something i argued over with them for years , just shows that no two music fans are the same
    Anyone with even a smidgen of musical taste should be well aware of how good Pink Floyd are. If the lead lines from Comfortably Numb don't send shivers down your spine you've either got no soul, you're paralysed or you're not playing the music loud enough :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Anyone with even a smidgen of musical taste should be well aware of how good Pink Floyd are. If the lead lines from Comfortably Numb don't send shivers down your spine you've either got no soul, you're paralysed or you're not playing the music loud enough :).

I like Syd Barrett, I vaguely tolerate Pink Floyd. I probably wouldn't give out if someone put them on but they'd be bottom of the pile for me. Don't get the fuss at all. Roger Waters is a most obnoxious young whippersnapper.

Has anyone mentioned the Ramones yet? There career was built around all their songs sounding the same.

And as for the argument that you can't form an opinion based on a couple of songs - maybe that's true but with a near infinite choice of music out there you need some sort of filtering system to decide what you are going to make the effort to listen to. If you hear 3 or 4 songs by a band that all sound the same and you don't like them, your going to make the assumption that the rest of their catalogue is the same and decide not to listen to anymore. The argument that you haven't listened to every single song in a band's catalogue so you can't have an opinion on them is pretty weak. If I don't like the 4 songs that I heard by a band why should I listen to their other 44 songs in order to gain a comprehensive perspective of why I don't like that band when I could spend the time listening to music I do like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

And as for the argument that you can't form an opinion based on a couple of songs - maybe that's true but with a near infinite choice of music out there you need some sort of filtering system to decide what you are going to make the effort to listen to. If you hear 3 or 4 songs by a band that all sound the same and you don't like them, your going to make the assumption that the rest of their catalogue is the same and decide not to listen to anymore. The argument that you haven't listened to every single song in a band's catalogue so you can't have an opinion on them is pretty weak. If I don't like the 4 songs that I heard by a band why should I listen to their other 44 songs in order to gain a comprehensive perspective of why I don't like that band when I could spend the time listening to music I do like.

Fair point, although I did miss out on years of enjoying Beastie Boys because I wasn't too mad on their singles (apart from Sabotage). When the albums were emphatically recommended to me by a friend, I listened and realised how talented and diverse they actually are.

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Fair point, although I did miss out on years of enjoying Beastie Boys because I wasn't too mad on their singles (apart from Sabotage). When the albums were emphatically recommended to me by a friend, I listened and realised how talented and diverse they actually are.

Tbf, the recommendation of a friend whose opinion you can trust will usually make you more willing to listen more carefully to something you might have dismissed. Randomers on the internet telling me I can't dismiss a band because I haven't listened to every last recording of said band aren't going to swing it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

galaxie 500. i do like them but alot of their songs are just the same 2 chords over and over again

While I wouldn't say that you need to have listened to every song, you could be unlucky and pick a selection of weak ones leaving an unfavourable impression of the band. I can choose half a dozen weak songs from most of my favourite bands and if I could go back in time to when I'd never heard anything by those bands and listen to the songs in isolation I'd probably have a completely different opinion of them.

That's even more of a factor if the sound of a band changes over time.

While I wouldn't say that you need to have listened to every song, you could be unlucky and pick a selection of weak ones leaving an unfavourable impression of the band. I can choose half a dozen weak songs from most of my favourite bands and if I could go back in time to when I'd never heard anything by those bands and listen to the songs in isolation I'd probably have a completely different opinion of them.

That's even more of a factor if the sound of a band changes over time.

That's true but given the amount of music out there, whether you do it consciously or not, your going to have to filter the music that comes your way to try and sift through to find the music that's going to appeal to you most. Not everything is going to get your proper attention and sometimes it means you'll probably miss out on music you might have liked but c'est la vie, there's only so many hours in a lifetime. Usually liked Sinfonia says friend's recommendations sort you out on stuff you might have missed.

• Advertisement

That's true but given the amount of music out there, whether you do it consciously or not, your going to have to filter the music that comes your way to try and sift through to find the music that's going to appeal to you most. Not everything is going to get your proper attention and sometimes it means you'll probably miss out on music you might have liked but c'est la vie, there's only so many hours in a lifetime. Usually liked Sinfonia says friend's recommendations sort you out on stuff you might have missed.
    Sometimes you just need to approach the music in a different way. I hated Meshuggah for a long time as I just couldn't get into their music. I found it too technical and too lacking in melody. One night at a party I got surprisingly drunk on home-made Polish vodka, someone stuck on an album of theirs and the music clicked with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Tbf, the recommendation of a friend whose opinion you can trust will usually make you more willing to listen more carefully to something you might have dismissed. Randomers on the internet telling me I can't dismiss a band because I haven't listened to every last recording of said band aren't going to swing it for me.

True, although I didn't know much about this particular friend's taste. Was just making the point that Beastie Boys albums turned out to be excellent even though I wasn't big on their singles.
    I agree with your overall point though. Even when a friend whose opinion you tend to agree with insists on you giving Band X a chance, there's only so much of a sample you're gonna take if you're not into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The one argument I'd have with this (though I agree with your logic) is that you can't expect to give an authoritative opinion on the matter in, say, a topic like this if you haven't got a good knowledge of a band's tracks. So you'd be better just not saying anything.

Everyone has an opinion on everything...it doesn't mean said opinion is worth a **** though.

Originally Posted by Malice

glad to see we can agree on somethingicon12.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

33431.jpg

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

glasvegas, snow patrol, oasis, coldplay, sigur ros, ac/dc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Scouting for Girls spring to mind immediately.

Saw this thread title and before even opening it these were the first to pop into my head :D

Notable mentions: Mumford and sons, My chemical Romance.

Anybody hear Alexandra Stan or whatever her name is new song? Actually a carbon copy of mr saxobeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Anybody hear Alexandra Stan or whatever her name is new song? Actually a carbon copy of mr saxobeat!

That reminds me of this actually:

And their follow up single...unofficially titled, 'Scarlet':

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

The Thrills

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Kasabian.

Advertisement