Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In your opinion whose songs all sound the same?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

RC88 wrote: »
    i'll admit a few pixes songs are quite good(Here Comes Your Man, where is my mind to name two) but most of em follow the same loudquietload format, either the verse is loud and the chorus is quiet or vice versa, just makes em sound a bit samey to me

and with morrisseys dreary lyrics makes every smiths songs one big snoozefest for me

Sounds lazy to me, this comment. Every Smiths song too..you're onto something here of course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Editors
    I downloaded The Back Room and The End Has a Start and actually started to laugh at one point because so many songs followed the exact same format.
    I don't hate them or anything, just a bit samey.

U2 and RHCP seemed to get a formula for an entire album and stick to it for the last 15 years. "That last album sold well, let's make one identical"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Paparazzo wrote: »
    U2 and RHCP seemed to get a formula for an entire album and stick to it for the last 15 years. "That last album sold well, let's make one identical"

I do not believe you've listened in full to every album released by U2 and RHCP in the last 15 years, if you were you wouldn't be making that statement.

You are talking two bands who experiment on every record here, the only problem is people can't appreciate it. U2's last album was completely experimental. Get On Your Boots is not their typical lead single. It was actually much more dance-orientated than Vertigo, which is more of a rock anthem. The two songs are different as are every other song on How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb and No Line On The Horizon.

The RHCP have changed their style constantly. In the 1980s they did a lot of rap stuff but that changed with the release of Blood, Sugar, Sex Magic when Anthony Keidis did more singing. I can honestly say Californication is by no means similar to By The Way, Stadium Arcadium or I'm With You.

Just listen to the three albums in sequence and you will see what I mean and for U2 you can try the albums I listed.

Bottom line their recent albums are not identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

du Maurier wrote: »
    Kasabian.

ludicrous statement there. how could they when there 4 albums have been completely different in sound and style.

scouting for girls and linkin park defiantly

ricero wrote: »
    ludicrous statement there. how could they when there 4 albums have been completely different in sound and style.

scouting for girls and linkin park defiantly

The gospel according to you then.. I'll let you delude yourself into thinking these one-trick, style over substance ponies haven't been throwing out the same brand of song for as long as they've been sucking the pipes off the Gallagher brothers et al.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Kasabian.

I always kinda thought that Kasabian were one of the few British bands that are actually trying something new every time. I think they're a great band. Haven't failed to impress me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The gospel according to you then.. I'll let you delude yourself into thinking these one-trick, style over substance ponies haven't been throwing out the same brand of song for as long as they've been sucking the pipes off the Gallagher brothers et al.
    Oh the irony of criticising someone else's post while then using a band who are infamous for having departed from their original sound as a retort.

Malice wrote: »
    Oh the irony of criticising someone else's post while then using a band who are infamous for having departed from their original sound as a retort.

Ehm, not really. We know this thread will be subjective. That's a given. I just retorted to the "every song" part of his dismissiveness. And then I retorted to another poster that thought my opinion to be ludicrous. At least that was his opinion and was par for the course (the subjective/differing opinion). So I replied.

You got your knickers in a twist when someone mentioned the Pixies if I recall correctly. They're wrong of course:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

3 pages into the thread and I'm shocked nobody has mentioned the monotone masters, The Script.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

The Beatles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

[Band I don't like] /thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The Beatles
    Yes, because 'Love Me Do' sounds completely identical to 'Helter Skelter'...

Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Ehm, not really. We know this thread will be subjective. That's a given. I just retorted to the "every song" part of his dismissiveness. And then I retorted to another poster that thought my opinion to be ludicrous. At least that was his opinion and was par for the course (the subjective/differing opinion). So I replied.

You got your knickers in a twist when someone mentioned the Pixies if I recall correctly. They're wrong of course:rolleyes:
    Apologies. I appear to have quoted and responded your post when I actually mean to quote and respond to this one. Linkin Park were the band I was referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Oh right. So the gospel according to you then....

Clanket wrote: »
    Oh right. So the gospel according to you then....

A third party intrusion isn't necessary, thanks:). You take care of the sleights coming your way and I'll try to ignore yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

baraca wrote: »
    3 pages into the thread and I'm shocked nobody has mentioned the monotone masters, The Script.

So you can honestly say "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" and "Breakeven" sound the same:eek:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

A third party intrusion isn't necessary, thanks:). You take care of the sleights coming your way and I'll try to ignore yours.

Intrusion in a public forum? Kasabian Oasis rip-offs?

Me thinks you talking out your ass....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

The Sawdoctors

Every fcukin' song.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

karaokeman wrote: »
    So you can honestly say "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" and "Breakeven" sound the same:eek:?

Really? Songs about heartache with a big falsetto in the climax of the chorus, released one after the other? Can you honestly say that they don't without being deaf? And I don't hate The Script either.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

Damien "slit my wrists" Rice, very surprised he hasnt been mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Erasure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

82 posts and nobody's mentioned Chuck Berry?

For shame... :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Iron Maiden. Not a bad band and it's not that I hate them or anything and I really admire their (very strong) work ethic which I discovered watching a documentary on them one night but I find them very repetitive and didn't know when one song ended and another began!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Anything ever released by that ****ing karaoke competition, the X Factor. Seems Simon Cowell is a massive fan of the "truck drivers gear change" in every song released.

Also The Script. I literally cannot tell the difference between their songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Have to say The Hives spring to mind here. They seem to rehash their formula of guitar riff based songs an awful lot.

Good riffs though!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Hard Fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

AC/DC

They themselves even admitted that they have been basically making the same album over and over for the last thirty years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Owl City

And by extension, Postal Service.

Postal Service are still fairly good, mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Radiohead
    Primal Scream
    Aphex Twin
    Steve Reich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Radiohead

Really? So you think that Pyramid Song, Bodysnatchers, Kid A and The National Anthem all sound the same?

Advertisement