Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boxing Legend Joe Frazier dies of Liver Cancer

• 08-11-2011 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxing/story/2011-11-06/joe-frazier-dead-liver-cancer/51118056/1

Joe Frazier, a tough, underrated heavyweight boxer from Philadelphia and one of the sport's fiercest competitors who spent a lifetime playing second fiddle to his nemesis, Muhammad Ali, died Monday night from liver cancer. He was 67.

Frazier's death was announced in a statement by his family, who asked to be able to grieve privately.
    Frazier was diagnosed with cancer in late September, said his personal and business manager, Leslie Wolff. He had made several personal appearances since then

Though there was lingering animosity between Frazier and Ali for more than 40 years, their names became synonymous with each other. Ali and Frazier. Frazier and Ali. It was almost as if you couldn't say one without the other, said boxing historian Bert Randolph Sugar, who covered their amazing trilogy of fights in the 1970s.
    "Smokin' Joe" Frazier was the first fighter to defeat Ali, putting the loquacious "Louisville Lip" on the canvas with his signature vicious left hook during their first fight, the so-called "Fight of the Century" in Madison Square Garden on March 8, 1971, one of the most epic ring battles of all time. Frazier went on to win by unanimous decision.
    Both fighters were paid an unheard of sum of $2.5 million, far more than any boxer had ever been paid for a prize fight.
    Frazier and Ali came into the match undefeated. Ali had gotten under Frazier's skin leading up to the fight, called him such names as "Uncle Tom," "ugly," "chump," "ignorant" and "dumb."
    It was racial taunting at its worst, and it would affect Frazier for the rest of his life. Ali made it worse by continuing to taunt Frazier throughout their careers, calling Frazier a "gorilla" before their final fight in Manila.
    In an interview with USA TODAY's Erik Brady two years ago, Frazier's bitterness came out in the form of religious bashing. Frazier believed Ali's Parkinson's Disease was God's judgment for Ali's Muslim beliefs.
    "Regardless of who you are, you have to think one way, and the right way, to be accepted by the man above," Frazier said. "He calls the shots."
    Asked if he could ever forgive Ali for gorilla, Uncle Tom, and the rest, Frazier said, "Sure . . . but the Man above, you'd better ask Him. . . . (Ali) must not pray. If you prayed, you'd have a better life than you have now. I'm 65 and I'm as strong as two bulls. So he must not bend down to the good Man above."
    Ali and Frazier would meet twice more after the "Fight of the Century," and Ali won both, including the finale of their trilogy, the "Thrilla in Manila" on Oct. 1, 1975, one of the most brutal bouts in boxing history.
    At one point during the slugfest, Ali whispered to Frazier during a clinch, "Ol' Joe Frazier. They told me you were washed up."
    Frazier snorted back, "They lied, pretty boy."
    Both men could barely stand by the end of the fight, and Frazier couldn't see, his eyes swelled shut.
    By the end of the 14th round, Frazier had had enough. When he came back to his corner, his trainer, the legendary Eddie Futch, told him, "Sit down son. It's all over. Nobody will ever forget what you did here today."
    Ali called that fight, fought in the extreme heat and humidity of The Philippines, "The closest thing to death."
    Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum, who co-promoted the "Thrilla in Manila," called it the greatest fight of all time. "There is no fight in the history of boxing, ever —ever— that compared to that fight," Arum said Monday night. He remembered the likable Frazier as a "real man, a man of his word, a man who never gave less than 100% in the ring."
    Frazier, who fought just twice after that, finished his career with a 32-4-1 record. But his four losses came against two opponents, Ali and George Foreman, who handed Frazier the only two knockouts of his career.
    Frazier's first knockout by Foreman is best remembered for Howard Cosell's iconic call, "Down goes Frazier!"
    Frazier retired after the second loss to Foreman in 1976, but came out of retirement in 1981, and fought to a 10-round draw against Floyd "Jumbo" Cummings in Chicago. Then he hung up his gloves for good.
    Asked if he ranked Frazier as one of the greatest heavyweights of all time, Arum said, "Absolutely. I can see him now, with Jimmy Ellis, and Jerry Quarry, pumping that left hand, just coming forward, coming forward. God, it was such a thrill to see him fight. Boy, what a left hook!"
    Frazier spent most of his years in retirement working with kids in his Philadelphia boxing gym, including two of his own who became boxers, son Marvis and daughter Jacqui. In an interesting twist, Jacqui Frazier Lyde, fought Ali's daughter, Laila Ali a decade ago. Ali won a majority decision. Jacqui went on to become a municipal court judge.
    A few years ago, Frazier and Ali did a photo shoot together at Frazier's gym, which has since closed. Ali, now 69, said upon hearing the news that Frazier was terminally ill, "The news about Joe is hard to believe and even harder to accept. … Joe is a fighter and a champion, and I am praying he is fighting now."
    Upon hearing of Frazier's death Monday night, Ali said in a statement, "The world has lost a great champion. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family."
    Ali and Frazier weren't always at odds.
    It was Frazier who petitioned President Richard Nixon to have Ali's boxing license reinstated after Ali refused induction into the Army during the Vietnam war. Frazier also boycotted a heavyweight tournament to crown a new champion after Ali was stripped of his title in 1967.
    That was before their trilogy, and all the name-calling, much of which came from the brash Ali's penchant for poeticizing his fights and trying to get under his opponents' skin, not so much from his hatred of Frazier or anybody else.
    Joseph William Frazier was born Jan. 12, 1944 in Beaufort, S.C. He fell in love with boxing as a child after watching such legendary figures as Sugar Ray Robinson, Rocky Marciano and Willie Pep on his parents' old black and white TV. He left Beaufort at the age of 15 to seek his fortune in boxing.
    Frazier became a great amateur boxer and ended up making the 1964 U.S. Olympic boxing team, where he won a heavyweight gold medal in Tokyo.

Sad day in the world of boxing! 67 is no fecking age at all

His agro with Mohammad Ali is the stuff of legends, and their constant b1tching and back biting was as entertaining as it was funny.

RIP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Frazier has left the building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

RIP Smokin' Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Epic days for the boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

George Foreman is under suspicion and is being grilled as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

One of the very best when that sport was truly brilliant to watch. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Rip Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Sad day ,The sport has lost a true legend...
    R.I.P. Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I never heard about those comments from Ali, what an ass

And he was in no position to say those taunts, should look at himself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

mikemac wrote: »

The two of them were always rivals, both in and out of the ring. Ali tended to reign supreme in the war of the words department! Very smart mouth, watching the verbal bouts on youtube this morning and I was in stitches, it was very funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

His aggro with Ali was'nt the stuff of legends, it was just Ali being a c**t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

You should watch the documentary called 'The Thrilla in Manilla'. Its often on E4 (sure it will be on again soon now after this). One of the best Ive ever seen.

Ali comes out as a right c#nt from it. Totally back stabbed Frazer after he had helped him get back into boxing.

Also a fact came out that Joe was actually blind in one eye for a lot of his career just shows what type of fighter this guy really was.

A true legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

RIP Joe.

The documentaries from boxing during that era would make the hair stand on the back of your neck. Thrilling stuff of which he was a legendary part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Yep, Joe was one of the true legends of boxing, the sport hasn't been the same since around the time he was in is prime along with Ali and Foreman. He will be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

RIP.

Surprised he was outlived by Ali, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

RIP Joe Frazier

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

I have no doubt that in those times privately Ali admired, respected and liked Frasier.
    But Professionally his aim was to psyche out his opponent and also to increase ticket sales.
    Luckily enough having held a grudge for most of his life Frasier and Ali had a reconciliation of sorts a few years ago.

Together with Foreman, the three greatest heavyweights or even fighters of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I have no doubt that in those times privately Ali admired, respected and liked Frasier.
    But Professionally his aim was to psyche out his opponent and also to increase ticket sales.
    Luckily enough having held a grudge for most of his life Frasier and Ali had a reconciliation of sorts a few years ago.

Together with Foreman, the three greatest heavyweights or even fighters of all time.

Jake the snake roberts shades it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

RIP.

Surprised he was outlived by Ali, to be honest.

That that is a surprise to most people, but it was only revealed at the weekend that Frazier had cancer at the weekend, but its very public about Ali!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

R.I.P Joe, you legend.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭Worztron

R.I.P. Smokin' Joe :(

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

You get your head shook, your money took and your name in the undertakers book.

RIP Smokin Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

RIP to a boxing great from a truly golden era for Heavyweight boxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

RIP Smokin' Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭hangon

I have no doubt either Jake,that era was before my time but it must have been so exciting,for those who remember the fights,well i really envy them.
    the Thrilla in Manilla did show Ali in a way that was shameful.

there has really been nothing like it since other than when Tyson looked like someone who could bring something back but he was well............

Thank the stars for ESPN Classic.

Thanks Joe.
    Thanks Ali.

Now that Joe is in the 'Great ring in the sky' i hope it has a Smoking Room just for him!
    a Superstar!!!!!

CucaFace wrote: »
    You should watch the documentary called 'The Thrilla in Manilla'. Its often on E4 (sure it will be on again soon now after this). One of the best Ive ever seen.

Ali comes out as a right c#nt from it. Totally back stabbed Frazer after he had helped him get back into boxing.

Also a fact came out that Joe was actually blind in one eye for a lot of his career just shows what type of fighter this guy really was.

A true legend.

Watched parts of it the other night and never knew that Frazier showed such solidarity and support to ALi when he was banned. It did make Ali's later behaviour toward him a little shameful in that context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

RIP Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Blind in one eye since the mid 60's too. Not bad considering.

Ali is just a loudmouth punk. An overrated media poser. It's a pity Frazier wasn't let out for the last round in Manila to smash what was left of Ali into hamburger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Yeah, Frazier was one of the very few people who publicly supported Ali, gave him cash when he was broke and Ali made a cúnt of him.

Then having to listen to the media talk about how great Ali is as a man for the next 40 years. Must have been tough for Frazier.

Dotrel wrote: »

Ali is just a loudmouth punk. An overrated media poser. It's a pity Frazier wasn't let out for the last round in Manila to smash what was left of Ali into hamburger.

Yeah im of the same opinion after watching that documentary.

Would have loved to have seen Frazer beating Ali in that last bout.

stovelid wrote: »
    Watched parts of it the other night and never knew that Frazier showed such solidarity and support to ALi when he was banned. It did make Ali's later behaviour toward him a little shameful in that context.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Yeah, Frazier was one of the very few people who publicly supported Ali, gave him cash when he was broke and Ali made a cúnt of him.

Then having to listen to the media talk about how great Ali is as a man for the next 40 years. Must have been tough for Frazier.

I think posters should copyright their posts on boards,hate posters who refuse to acknowledge another but repeat what they have said ver batim as if they had not read them.

can easily happen once but some posters do it all the time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75335682&postcount=6

Do you know what I hate? I hate it when people repeat other peoples posts on some meaningless thread rather than simply reading the entire thread from start to finish first in order to make sure their feelings on a subject doesn't appear too similar to someone elses opinion.

I just hate it.

Do you know what I hate? I hate it when people repeat other peoples posts on some meaningless thread rather than simply reading the entire thread from start to finish first in order to make sure their feelings on a subject doesn't appear too similar to someone elses opinion.

I just hate it.

So i assume that post was only one of others on the boxing forum from where it was reported first.
    I am sorry you do not recognise the blatant plagerism that goes on here all the time.

P.S bye bye,yiz are welcome to the mess that is Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

hangon wrote: »
    So i assume that post was only one of others on the boxing forum from where it was reported first.
    I am sorry you do not recognise the blatant plagerism that goes on here all the time.

Ah yes, having the same opinion as someone else is plagerism now?

• Advertisement

What exactly is your problem? You're making some sort of point there but it essentially comes off that if two people make the same point on a thread or a second thread appears somewhere else that the second person has committed "plagiarism"? (btw I'm not usually a Grammar Capitalist but helps to spell the word correctly if your going to be throwing it around there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

What? Unless "plagerism" means having the same opinion as somebody, I'm not sure what your issue is. It is not as if somebody copied and pasted your post and used it verbatim. Now that would be plagiarism. People speaking about well documented historical facts and sharing opinions is not plagiarism. You are not "scooping" anybody, most people with any passing interest in boxing are aware of those topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

But he didn't...and Ali is overrated?

Both were great boxers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

But he didn't...and Ali is overrated?

Both were great boxers.

Well he did beat him in their first match, the "Fight of the Century" in Madison Square Garden. Plus as is well documented, nobody knows if Ali would have made it up for the 15th Round. If Eddie Futch had hesitated a bit longer, Ali might have given up.

It is all ifs and buts and both men were as good as each other.

I think posters should copyright their posts on boards,hate posters who refuse to acknowledge another but repeat what they have said ver batim as if they had not read them.

I take it you were a boxer at some stage in your life because you must have taken a few strong blows to the head in your life time to post such a stupid comment.

I even stated in my comment where I got my view from, it was the Documentary 'Thrilla in Manilla' or did you actually make the documentary yourself?

Talk about a sad post if you actually think that people are 'stealing' your views and comments.

• Advertisement

Stop breathing.

Good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭Worztron

I guess everyone has seen this but it is worthy of another watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5qVrP0xlGE

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement