Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterkenny to Ramelton

Options
  • 08-11-2011 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to be in Ramelton for college work for 2 weeks in December and was thinking about staying with a friend in Letterkenny and cycling to Ramelton. Just wondering what the road is like? Loadsa blind turns/very hilly or is it grand? ... And bearing in mind it'll be December(& possibly snowy) dya reckon it'd be too dangerous?

Never been to Donegal before, really looking forward to seeing what everyone raves about!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

I cycle that route for leisure occasionally on Sunday mornings and TBH I wouldnt be comfortable cycling it during a busy traffic time. There is no hard shoulder and it does see allot of traffic at the busy times. That said, a good high vis top and a good flashing LED rear light and you might be okay. The other thing to consider is the frost in December and it is dark most of the time

As regards hilly... well every road is hilly in Donegal :) but that isnt too bad actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Its possible to do it but i would be very careful, they are very dark roads and people driving will not be expecting a cyclist. as previously said light up damn well and you will be better off!

as for the roads if its frosty... i'd leave the bike behind if its looking icy. roads up here are not good and added to above points its a bad mix (i came off and skidded into front of taxi last year... not fun)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marknine

Brods wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm going to be in Ramelton for college work for 2 weeks in December and was thinking about staying with a friend in Letterkenny and cycling to Ramelton. Just wondering what the road is like? Loadsa blind turns/very hilly or is it grand? ... And bearing in mind it'll be December(& possibly snowy) dya reckon it'd be too dangerous?

Never been to Donegal before, really looking forward to seeing what everyone raves about!

Thanks

The road is ok but I dont think I would recomend it on cold dark winter mornings and evenings. It not like the city or town as the road is unlit and there is no hard shoulder. Can I ask you what you are studying in Ramelton? Just being nosey, nothing more.
    If you go to google maps street view, you will be able to do a vertual run of the road. I personaly think you may be safer thumbing a lift. (I know that may sound mad in this day and age) I also think there may be a bus service, but Im not sure of the times.
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

you could get half way using the back road to Woodlands starting at Kiltoy.

most of the traffic will be coming towards you of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

I wouldnt fancy cycling up Kiltoy Brae though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Just thinking here too, where about is your friend in Letterkenny, like if your friend lived in the Mountain Top Direction, there would be other back roads you could take that would avoid the main road altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Just thinking here too, where about is your friend in Letterkenny, like if your friend lived in the Mountain Top Direction, there would be other back roads you could take that would avoid the main road altogether

Much safer sticking to the main road using a high vis jacket and decent lights front and back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

the stretch between Woodlands school and Alcorns garden world is narrow enough, not a whole lot of room for a bicycle with two way traffic.

LetterkennyRd.jpg

also, the first two miles coming out of Ramelton is up hill.. I would hitch it or see if I could get a lift. What sort of hours would you be travelling in and out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The entire road is quite dangerous as its narrow with no hard shoulder and is very busy in the mornings and evenings.

You'd be safer getting a bus/taxi/lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

slimboyfat wrote: »
    Much safer sticking to the main road using a high vis jacket and decent lights front and back.

Not sure I would totally agree with that, when you consider the dark evennings and the road spray from a wet road in conjunction with heavy traffic and a higher speed of the traffic on a main road.

Also if you were cycling to Ramelton from the Mountain top the back roads would be a good bit shorter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭nonsmoker

Hi
    I use that road every day and think you would be crazy to cycle. Its far too dangerous.
    The road is extremely busy plus the dark evenings/mornings, any bad weather - not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Hi,

Thanks
    You would be mad to cycle this route in the dark winter nights, asking for trouble. There is a bus service however I am not sure of exact times.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

Thanks for all the replies! Sorry for the delay, i dropped my laptop so been without boards for a few weeks! It's fixed now, just in time too, expect I'll be watching a fair few DVDs in the evenings! The girl I'm coming up said we could stay in Ramelton and she'd drive into LK. Happy days :)

Say hello if you spot a lost lookin Dub!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Say hello if you spot a lost lookin Dub!
    All Dubs look lost anyhow so you wont stand out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭weeginger

I live in Ramelton, how are you settling in?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

and bet your glad you don't have to cycle in this eh?

Advertisement