Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of the ' night feed'

Options
  • 08-11-2011 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Hi

We have a 3 month old daughter . We are still feeding her at 3 am.

What we are doing is ....

Feed at 6pm , play , bed by 7pm
    Feed at 11pm , back to bed .

Then the feed at 3am.

We are trying to drop the 3am feed , but she just wakes herself up and roars.

Any hints/tips on dropping the 3am feed ... we have reduced this feed to a really small 3 oz feed already

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Your daughter is 3 months old! If she's waking for the feed it's b/c she needs it - give it to her! It's not fair on her to be thinking that you can drop the night feed already...if anything she's gearing up for more feeds as she approaches the 4-month growth spurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Ayla wrote: »
    Your daughter is 3 months old! If she's waking for the feed it's b/c she needs it - give it to her! It's not fair on her to be thinking that you can drop the night feed already...if anything she's gearing up for more feeds as she approaches the 4-month growth spurt.

Spot on!..........and where's your community support???

minotour wrote: »
    ..........and where's your community support???

what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Any hints/tips on dropping the 3am feed ...

My only tip - if other parents have told you their 3 month old is sleeping through the night they're lying :D

As far as I'm aware, very few babies sleep through the night that early on, and of those few that do it's their own doing. It's normal & natural for young babies to wake up during the night and punishing them for doing so (through reduced feeds/crying it out/etc) is just cruel IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi

Fair enough .

We have another daughter ( now nearly 6 ), she was sleeping through by this time happily ... hence my question. Maybe it's our memory that is sugar coated :-)

Ill take your points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Our little one starting sleeping through around then but her last feed would have been a good bit later than 6pm. I think it originally was around 10pm which got us through to 8 and then bit by bit we started bringing the last feed earlier. Normal time then was 7.30/8 feed and straight to bed.

Edit.....sorry I missed a line one your post where it said feed at 11pm as well! I'd imagine it's just a matter of waiting to see then. Not much more you can do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Hi

Fair enough .

We have another daughter ( now nearly 6 ), she was sleeping through by this time happily ... hence my question. Maybe it's our memory that is sugar coated :-)

Ill take your points.

Every baby is different, your daughter will sleep through when she's ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi, i have a 5month old anmd got all sorts of advice on dropping the night feed, like fooling the baby with a bottle of water, after a while they wonr wake up etc, but tbh i just kept feeding him as i thought, if he is hungry at night, then i will feed him!
    My son stopped waking up for night feed about a month ago, chances are you daugter will grow out of it herself soon too. But id say as long as shes hungry at night, keep feeding her. She is only 3monrhs after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

I have a six month old who started sleeping all night about a month ago. She gave me a blissful week of sleeping 8 - 8 but is now waking up again for a feed. Nice while is lasted though.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the replies.

This morning got a bit silly , 3am feed , then she awoke again at 4am with teething poor little thing.

Then at 6 , she decides its time to go back to sleep , just as I have to think about getting up for work !

Kids .... who would have em eh !!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

January wrote: »
    Every baby is different, your daughter will sleep through when she's ready.

Funny you should say that because Saoirse was sleeping through the night from 2 months old until last night she woke at 3am and drank a 6oz bottle. She is 4 months now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Growth spurt I'd say! My Saoirse slept through from about two months too, with only the occasional bad week when she was teething/having a growth spurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

January wrote: »
    Growth spurt I'd say! My Saoirse slept through from about two months too, with only the occasional bad week when she was teething/having a growth spurt.

Yes she is teething mad now and its killing the poor thing..

Just an update for this .

By Christmas we had dropped the 3am feed.

She has been having a 11pm feed then through to 6-7am ( often 7am thank god ).

of course there have been bad nights ( one night in particular where I was out walking at 3am , grrr to teething )

Thanks to everyone for the advice

Advertisement