Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help?

• 08-11-2011 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

There's a collie in my area who needs help. I've seen him several mornings on my way to my course but not thought too much about it as many people let their dogs roam, however this morning I was close enough to see the state he's in; his coat is matted, he's limping, and his ribs are like a toastrack.

I can't take him in because my girls especially hate collies. I can't take him to a vet because I don't have a car and I don't think he could walk that far. Is there anyone in the D8 area who'd be able to help in some way? I usually see him around the Herberton flats at 8am. He seems very friendly and placid, allowing me to approach and pet him. Tomorrow I'm going to see if he'll eat something for me.

PM if you want more details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

If you know for sure that he's a stray maybe you could call the dog warden? I know if he catches him he'll take him to the pound but you could call your local SPCA/shelter and get some advice from them, a lot of shelters do take dogs from the pound however I think male collies are one of the most common dogs found in the pound sadly so he may not get a place in a shelter, but surely anything is better than leaving him starving, maybe in pain, just waiting to get run over on the road.

On a side note, there is a (slim) chance he may belong to someone I suppose, a girl I worked with once mentioned that her parents collie had gotten out (again) and she saw the dog on the main Claregalway road one morning and just KEPT ON DRIVING thinking 'oh there's (dogs name), I must phone the parents when I get into work' (despite having a mobile phone), when I asked her why she didn't pick the dog up he could cause an accident she seemed geniuinely surprised and said 'sure he'll always makes his way home eventually'. That's the kind of people you could be dealing with.

Good luck anyways, keep us posted, would be great if you could help him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I thought of calling the warden, but I'm worried that he'd end up as just another statistic, being a poorly collie. He's a lovely fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Y; he probably will end up a statistic if you call them.
    Terrible.
    Giving him food would be a great comfort to him I'm sure. You could try putting a sign up ;if he's from the flats maybe a neighbour would see it & take him in : $
    At least if he's soft natured & placid he isn't stressed or abused :$
    thou it has been LASHING a lot; my dog is well loved & cared for & its undercarriage is a mess!!!! To look at her you'd think noone cared!!!
    ( not the case!!!)

I brought food with me this morning, but I didn't see him. I'll keep it in my pocket and maybe I'll see him tomorrow.

I'm trying to work out how I can convince one of my, already broke, friends that she can afford another dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mmel

Have you tried the DSPCA?

• Advertisement

No, but I've heard that they're full. Are they still taking dogs in, or just cruelty cases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Dogs trust in finglas might take him and they dont put dogs down if they are healthy AFAIK. might be worth a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Dogs Trust do not take in strays. The dog will have to have done it's 5 days in a pound or be a surrender from the owners for Dogs Trust to take it.

Going to PM you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Easy the OP says its their dog and cant look after it for what ever reason

I suppose I could do that, but it'd be Saturday week at the earliest until I can get someone with a car to help me (am away this weekend).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Easy the OP says its their dog and cant look after it for what ever reason

Yes but what if this dog is genuinely owned by someone and was stolen and dumped?

They also have at least a 3 month waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mmel

The DSPCA don't take in surrenders any more as far as I know but they might take a stray/cruelty case - might be worth calling them anyway.

Advertisement