Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GZIP

• 08-11-2011 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to start compressing parts of my site using GZIP and cant get it working for some reason - I tried many different setups with the .htaccess but none work. Can my windows shared hosting support this? any pointers!?

David

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

David

I'd have to doublecheck with our technical team, but as far as I know we don't support gzip on our shared servers

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Blacknight wrote: »
    David

I'd have to doublecheck with our technical team, but as far as I know we don't support gzip on our shared servers

Michele

Ok,

If you could find out that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 linedash

David,

What you are trying to do with the .htaccess would typically relate to the mod_deflate module for Linux hosting and will not work with the Windows hosting.

The Windows servers have compression of static content enabled by default, so you would not need to enable that.

If you need further assistance, please email support@blacknight.com and we can take a closer look.

linedash wrote: »
    David,

What you are trying to do with the .htaccess would typically relate to the mod_deflate module for Linux hosting and will not work with the Windows hosting.

The Windows servers have compression of static content enabled by default, so you would not need to enable that.

If you need further assistance, please email support@blacknight.com and we can take a closer look.

Cheers, I suspected it was a windows/linux issue. The GZIP compression is the best so want to go with that. what are my options?

Heard nothing back from blacknight so gave them a call and to put it simply... They dont support GZIP and have no plans to either.

Very dissapointing for blacknight customers / Irish business as Google / yahoo now uses site speed in its ranking algorithm and GZIP is a major factor in speeding up ones website.

• Advertisement

jetski wrote: »
    Heard nothing back from blacknight so gave them a call and to put it simply... They dont support GZIP and have no plans to either.

Um - you did .. linedash is one of our technical support staff
    Very dissapointing for blacknight customers / Irish business as Google / yahoo now uses site speed in its ranking algorithm and GZIP is a major factor in speeding up ones website.

We don't support it because it doesn't have that much impact and costs a large overhead in terms of CPU
    We invest heavily in our network infrastructure and have better AS paths than most of our competitors

Blacknight wrote: »
    Um - you did .. linedash is one of our technical support staff

We don't support it because it doesn't have that much impact and costs a large overhead in terms of CPU
    We invest heavily in our network infrastructure and have better AS paths than most of our competitors

It does impach search results and thats the bottom line, using GZIP may just be enough to get ahead of a uk based competitor for example.

The extra CPU usage is tiny and would not be an issue unless you have serious CPU bottleneck and consider savings that would be made on bandwith, and the amount of people that would be able or even want to set it up would be low anyway.

Compression (GZIP) is now becoming a standard feature and you really should have the ability to handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Didn't realize they published their algorithm... How slow is your site?

TonyStark wrote: »
    Didn't realize they published their algorithm...

They don't publish it.

TonyStark wrote: »
    Didn't realize they published their algorithm... How slow is your site?

follow matt cutts on twitter.

Its not so much the speed but the effort made to keep it quick.

see below.

https://developers.google.com/pagespeed/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jamoted

Hi dragged this up from years past as I ran into this issue today and I believe its still very relevant. It still still appears according to the excellent Blacknight support to be the case that GZIP compression is not available on shared hosting there. I must say I was not aware of this before I migrated all of my 60+ sites there over the past months. If I had been I think I may have looked elsewhere for reliable CPanel hosting or similar where in most cases GZIP is available by default even though you have often have to implement it per site with htaccess.

This is surely an issue in the days of mobile data and site availability to mobile users using un-compressed data. You can say build better websites all day long but this is the day of Word Press bloat, never mind Google's algorithm and good old common sense. 

Come on Blacknight offer GZIP on shared hosting. 

in a similar situation jamoted, should be an option, have a site that could really do with gzip enabled and very disappointed that Blacknight are behind the game on this.

Gzip was enabled on the majority of Linux Shared Hosting servers yesterday, if you have any issues please open a ticket and mark it for Alan's attention.

Thanks very much Alan, delighted to hear that, good going!

and what about windows based?

The 2008 Windows Plans should have gzip compression, if you are having issue please open a ticket with details and support can investigate.

Gzip was enabled on the majority of Linux Shared Hosting servers yesterday, if you have any issues please open a ticket and mark it for Alan's attention.
    Hi Alan, can you tell me if this has been disabled again?

Hi ed333

It should be enabled, if you can submit a ticket I can have a look.

If you have submitted a ticket please PM me the ticket ID

Alan

Advertisement