Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood Babble-On

Options
  • 08-11-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else listen to this? It's one of the Kevin Smith 'SModcast' shows, but you don't have to be a big fan of Kevin Smith to like it. The main guy on the show is a guy called Ralph Garman, who does voices on Family Guy and does lots of impressions during the show.

The show itself is recorded with an audience and is about entertainment news. Humour can be pretty dark at times and with Kevin Smith, there's a lot of dirty humour too. Overall though, the show is fantastic. Great regular features like Geek News and How big is Liam Neeson's c*ck? which they end the show with. Well worth listening to.

Sometimes when Kevin Smith is away, there'll be a guest co-host like Jon Lovitz. Those shows can be hit or miss depending on who is on.

Anyone else a fan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sounds right up my street.
    Subscribing.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mr E wrote: »
    Sounds right up my street.
    Subscribing.... :)

Well worth listening to older shows too, as there's a lot of in-jokes. In fact, might relisten to some of the older ones myself

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Once you get past the first 5 minutes of merchandising (!), it is actually very funny. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    Once you get past the first 5 minutes of merchandising (!), it is actually very funny. :)

Ah yeah, forgot to mention. Most SModcast shows start with that. I normally fastforward to about 4 minutes and let it play from there. Some weeks have less advertising than others.

Glad you liked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

Yeah, have been listening to this one for months. Really enjoy most of it.
    Out of all the Kevin Smith ones, this and Smodcast I think are the only ones really worth listening to. I prefer HBO as it tends not to have too many long Smith rants.

• Advertisement

fjon wrote: »
    Yeah, have been listening to this one for months. Really enjoy most of it.
    Out of all the Kevin Smith ones, this and Smodcast I think are the only ones really worth listening to. I prefer HBO as it tends not to have too many long Smith rants.

Yeah, the fact Garman runs that podcast means it moves along at a steady pace rather than the peaks and troughs SModcast itself can go through

If anyone's listening to this weeks episode, they read out an email from me :cool:. About 43mins in. Ralph Garman called me fat, but also said he loves me. Now I know how Kevin Smith feels.

They read out a better email of mine on an earlier episode too, episode 13, 6mins in, which resulted in Smith called me a "snarky f*cking leprechaun"

If only I was creative enough to do a song or draw something for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

thanks Op will check this out

Been a lot of guest hosts lately. Jay Mohr was pretty good (and it's also worth checking out Ralph Garman on Mohr Stories, episode is called My Dinner With Al or something like that). Brad Williams is pretty funny. I think next weeks show has Dave Koechner (Champ from Anchorman and a bunch of other stuff), so that should be pretty good

They announced on the latest episode that there is soon going to be a Hollywood Babble-On TV show. Don't know if that means web-tv like Hulu or Netflix (Smith currently has a movie review show on Hulu) or proper TV. Either way, could be really great.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure we're talking Hulu or similar. Is it just going to be their live shows televised? This would be good as it's a bit of a pain to follow all the visual stuff they have. I know they're in the show notes, but that means opening the website and following along :p

fjon wrote: »
    Pretty sure we're talking Hulu or similar. Is it just going to be their live shows televised? This would be good as it's a bit of a pain to follow all the visual stuff they have. I know they're in the show notes, but that means opening the website and following along :p

Not going to be the live shows as far as I know. They talked about how they'll be able to dress Ralph up as whoever he's doing an impression of, and they questioned how would they be able to do Liam Neeson's Cock jokes as the ending to the show and said they might have to come up with a new ending. Plus, they said the podcast will still continue.

So I'm guessing brand new show separate to the podcast show, and I wouldn't be overly surprised if it was on AMC, though safest bet is probably Hulu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 macanbhaird

Hey...been listening to this podcast now for the past year and it's brilliant.
    I went back and listened to all the earlier ones and the progression of the show is just excellent - seeing how they come up with the little sketches/ bits and how they evolve into the show as it is today.
    One question though? They said on a podcast recently that they are coming to Ireland. They joked about going to see the Monty Python reunion gig in the UK and using it as an excuse to do a show in Ireland as Ralph's ancestors were Irish - apparently his name 'Garman' coming from 'Loch Garman', Wexford.
    Anyways, haven't heard anything yet about tickets...anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

They announced it on today's podcast (#160)

June 28th, Vicar Street, Babble-On only

€45 each for a Vicar St gig. Will be a good night, but that's really expensive.
    I can't remember paying that much for previous shows :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 macanbhaird

Yeah - a little pricey but when has Hollywood Babble-On been to Ireland and when will it grace our shores again.
    I was in the Laughter Lounge there a couple of weeks ago and forked out €30 for tickets for dudes I'd never heard of.
    Granted, it was a good night that me and my girlfriend really enjoyed. It just doesn't feel that much of a stretch to fork out an extra €15 to see Kevin Smith (you might remember him from such films as......) and Ralph 'mutha****in' Garman.

I went ahead and got myself two tickets. I've been to Kevin Smith shows in Vicar St before and they were always good, plus HBO is my favourite of his podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Have all the ground floor tickets sold out?
    V sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 WVLuke

Been listening to this for a while now. Got tickets early. Delighted. Can't wait for it. Always been a big fan of Kevin Smith and Ralph Barman is the man!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Im snappin, none of my mates are up for it and the girlfriend will be away that weekend, might have to one man it and go alone :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

It's time to Babble The **** on!

Really enjoyed it tonight, booing was getting slightly embarrassing after a bit though!

We loved it! Laughed from start to finish. Ralph is a legend.

Thought the booing was funny and it did eventually stop. The amount if drink bought for them was embarrassing. Kinda embrassed that there wasn't a cry for MORE after the end. I'm sure they'd have returned if we had asked them! I know HBO doesn't lend itself to encores but for this occasion it would have been nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Drum.lad

Great show and great crowd except for the people throwing dvds up on stage to get signed at least wait till after the show..

I see they've put up a podcast of the Brimingham show and none of the Dublin show! Maybe they're too similar!

No way, really??????
    Thats v odd...

Ralph wrote earlier that the Dublin show will be available to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Is it up yet?

Yes, it has been for quite some time. Not sure which show number it was though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Cool thanks, I'll have a search now!

Advertisement