Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battle of the presenters

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

seligehgit wrote: »
    Seriously rate Philip Boucher Hayes as a presenter,I can not tolerate Joe Duffy.
    He used to fill in for Rachel English on 5-7 live and I really thought he'd get the anchor after she finished up...

Really one of RTE's finest and seriously under rated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Yamanoto wrote: »
    The DG / Controller of Radio should lay it down simply to the big names - Given RTE's budgetary constraints, we're cutting salaries by 50%. That leaves you with three options:

1) Go to TV3 / Other Commercial Radio - Enjoy lower production values, lower audience share, less support staff and considerably less job security.

2) Try your luck in Britain - Where the majority of RTE 'talent' will find their performance subjected to far greater levels of scrutiny from station bosses, the press and public alike.

3) Agree a new contract with RTE and just be thankful you're doing a job you love for many multiples of the average industrial wage.

But it is not quite that simple. Radio is a numbers game. Joe Duffy gets a lot more listeners than anyone else at that hour of the day in this country. Therefore advertising slots will be sold at a premium.

RTE could do what you suggest and risk one of their key names leaving losing listeners and revenue or pay what they feel duffy is worth.

I dont understand the success of his show but his show is definitely successful and he must be a big part of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

dirtyden wrote: »
    But it is not quite that simple. Radio is a numbers game. Joe Duffy gets a lot more listeners than anyone else at that hour of the day in this country. Therefore advertising slots will be sold at a premium.

RTE could do what you suggest and risk one of their key names leaving losing listeners and revenue or pay what they feel duffy is worth.

I dont understand the success of his show but his show is definitely successful and he must be a big part of that.

What about Marian Finucane then?

Who actually has the power to cut her wages or even let her go?

What about Marian Finucane then?

Who actually has the power to cut her wages or even let her go?

The people who pay her.

What is your point?

The people who pay her.

What is your point?

No need to be rude.

Do her listening figures justify her salary like Joe Duffy's might?

No need to be rude.

Do her listening figures justify her salary like Joe Duffy's might?

I was not being rude. I could not make head nor tail of the point you were making. I passed a comment on Joe Duffy and you came from nowhere with something about Marian Finucane. I have no clue about her show.

I would need the figures to answer that question. I dont have them. If RTE feels she is bringing in more revenue than her show costs then yes.

I am sure there is some economic justification to these fees/salaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Duffy was being a bit selective in that interview, he failed to mention the the fact that Dunphy had a Saturday morning show on RTE Radio 1 with over 260,000 listeners. After a year with Newstalk he only managed an audience of 50,000 and the station was trying to cut that 100,000 euro salary of his in half before he left.

I was not being rude. I could not make head nor tail of the point you were making. I passed a comment on Joe Duffy and you came from nowhere with something about Marian Finucane. I have no clue about her show.

" I dont understand the success of his show but his show is definitely successful and he must be a big part of that."

"What about Marian Finucane then?"

You couldn't figure out what I was asking no?

Wasn't that complicated.

" I dont understand the success of his show but his show is definitely successful and he must be a big part of that."

"What about Marian Finucane then?"

You couldn't figure out what I was asking no?

Wasn't that complicated.

Why are you trying to start a pointless argument here.

Debate my original point if you like, or explain the point you are trying to make. I know nothing about Marian Finucane.

What has Marian Finucanes pay got to do with Joe Duffy's? As far as I know most of these presenters are contracted individually and charge RTE for their services. What does Finucane get paid, what does her show pull in advertising?

• Advertisement

Why are you trying to start a pointless argument here.

Debate my original point if you like, or explain the point you are trying to make. I know nothing about Marian Finucane.

What has Marian Finucanes pay got to do with Joe Duffy's? As far as I know most of these presenters are contracted individually and charge RTE for their services. What does Finucane get paid, what does her show pull in advertising?

Alright forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Joe Duffy is very very overpaid. I have heard better speakers in the pub at 3 am on a Saturday night! He has no audible talent whatsoever and hes part of a deluded golden circle that rewards each other for working in RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Joe Duffy is very very overpaid. I have heard better speakers in the pub at 3 am on a Saturday night! He has no audible talent whatsoever and hes part of a deluded golden circle that rewards each other for working in RTE.

Maybe so, but he still attracts a huge audience, I would say RTE make a profit from his show.

I would say he would earn the same with a competitor.

Disclaimer I never ever ever listen to the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

I would need the figures to answer that question. I dont have them. If RTE feels she is bringing in more revenue than her show costs then yes.

I am sure there is some economic justification to these fees/salaries.

The economics of the situation is RTE's commercial revenues have fallen by 32 per cent since 2007 and currently has a net deficit of 16.8 million. Throughout this period Duffy and Finuance were locked into untouchable long term contracts, which only expired this year. The Revenue are looking into why people who spend their entire careers at RTE are able to class themselves as contractors. The only apparent reason for doing so is to pay less tax.

How much revenue their respective shows bring in isn't really the issue. It's how much more revenue they generate than if someone else was presenting that show. If they left there may well be some fall off listeners to those time slots, but not enough of a drop to justify those salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

Marian Finucane gets 570k per annum. That would work out at 2,750k per hour if she did two hours every Sat & Sun - but from time to time, someone else fill in. So it's probably more like 3k per hour or more.

She does a great job - but in heaven's name 3k per hour of public money?

When disabled people are having their carers' hours cut?

When hospital wards are closing?

Are we all out of our minds?

What are we playing at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Liveline was the making of Joe Duffy, not the other way around. He's by no means irreplaceable - It's the moan-in element that's the attraction to many listeners, not necessarily the presenter. JNLR figures may take a dip at first, but they'd recover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

I think we're all missing the main point of the article - apparently TV3 pay Aidan Cooney!!!
    AIDAN COONEY.
    Pay him.
    With money.

I just presumed he was there with JobBridge or something

Forget about whether or not Joe D is good. Let's say he's brilliant.

Does that justify the RTE authorities paying him a higher salary than Barak Obama for spending maybe 7 hours a week chatting on the phone?

How dare RTE use our money in this way.

They politely asked the late Gerry Ryan to take a cut and he told them to get stuffed. Offering these people 5 or 6 grand a week is seen as an insult. He was getting 12.5k per week (yes per week) and he was horrified that they would even suggest that he work for less. While the government wants to cut the Donegal bus service taking cancer patients for treatment in Dublin.

Than service costs 90k per annum!

Ms Finucane gets nearly 11k per week and that's AFTER a pay cut.

And she is far from being the highest paid!

Are we totally mad?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Benedict wrote: »
    They politely asked the late Gerry Ryan to take a cut and he told them to get stuffed. Offering these people 5 or 6 grand a week is seen as an insult. He was getting 12.5k per week (yes per week) and he was horrified that they would even suggest that he work for less
    in fairness Joe actually shows up for work most of the time

in fairness Joe actually shows up for work most of the time

Unshaven :rolleyes:

Liveline was the making of Joe Duffy, not the other way around. He's by no means irreplaceable - It's the moan-in element that's the attraction to many listeners, not necessarily the presenter. JNLR figures may take a dip at first, but they'd recover.

That is certainly possible, but I don't think RTE are confident enough to test that hypothesis. You can be sure if RTE cut Joe loose, newstalk or today FM would be in like a shot with a ball of money for him in an attempt to grab market share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

What Duffy doesn't realise, is that the same amount of listeners would exist without him.

I don't think RTE are confident enough to test that hypothesis.

Probably not, no.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Unshaven :rolleyes:
    yes but no but it's radio

yes but no but it's radio

Still, look at that nice Mooney fellow - clean cut, with a haircut you could set your watch by :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Still, look at that nice Mooney fellow - clean cut, with a haircut you could set your watch by :pac:

He's the worst of them all! Throw in that foghorn of a sidekick he has and you get puke radio at its worst. Jedward, Eurovision, X-Factor, Mary Byrne, Louis Walsh and a bit of wildlife. That's the Mooney show. Absolute drivel.

Who listens to this sh*te anyway? I would imagine the topics above would only cater for a niche market at best.

I reckon its a case of people being too lazy to turn off their radios after liveline, that's my excuse anyway in accidently listening to the first 3 minutes of his garbage before launching myself for the Newstalk button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

telekon wrote: »
    I reckon its a case of people being too lazy to turn off their radios after liveline, that's my excuse anyway in accidently listening to the first 3 minutes of his garbage before launching myself for the Newstalk button.

Yes, onto Sean eh eh Moncreiff. So eh eh much eh eh better.

I think the reason RTE have so many long in the tooth overpaid presenters is that they're around for so long and the people paying them are their friends. Imagine Bobby Charlton still playing for Manutd. "Ah we can't let him go, even if we are paying him too much and he can hardly kick the ball."

PS I like your description of the "foghorn of a sidekick". Where the **** did they get her from?

PPS No mention of George Hook yet?

Listen to me.

There are RTE presenters who we pay 1 Euro per second.

By the time the theme music for Marian Finucane's programme has finished, she has already earned more from us than a worker on mimimum pay gets in several days.

One Euro per second.

She's terrific - I think she should be hosting the Late Late. But are we out of our minds? While our Government is considering cutting the old age pension, we're paying a presenter 1 Euro per second?

And all you lot can do is make smart comments?

Have you paid the 100 on your house? If you were a presenter, you'd earn the 100 in the time it takes to fill a glass of water.

Your money folks.

Your money.

Advertisement