Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help writing letter to neighbour, about Dogs barking

• 08-11-2011 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, hope someone can help me with this letter, as this barking has got to stop.. It is driving me insane! :mad:
    Dear Neighbour,

Could you please do something about your oversized Rats, and their barking, which starts at 6:30am and continues until well after 10pm.
    I am woken into a headache every morning, and it fails to disappear throughout the day, leaving me bad-tempered and impatient.
    I have endured this horrible noise for way to long now, and coming from what are effectively Eagle bait, I may do the honourable thing and give them a natural way to end their miserable existence.
    I realise that it's not their fault being locked up in your back garden all day every day, but seeing as you are unwilling to do anything, or completely unaware (I don't see how, as every neighbour I have spoken to has said that they are equally annoyed with this noise.) of this, I feel it's the more humane alternative.
    I will be taking up a hobby which I have been meaning to for a long time, but never had the chance before.
    I will be taking up Falconry.
    Beginning with a Tercel, a Peregrine Falcon or most likely, a Harris Hawk. As a result of this, I will have to build a much larger shed to house them, (Which means I will be probably working throughout the night, and there may be a bit of noise - Sorry in advance.).
    As a result of the larger shed, I feel I will need to fill it appropriately, as I hate to see such a large space being wasted.
    So, I will also be getting a Lynx, which will be let out to feed itself a couple of times a day, as it is apparently cruel to train these animals to eat from the hand.

Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call me between 9 and 5, and ask me.

Kind regards,
    Your Friendly Neighbour

Okay, in all honesty, that letter is me joking, i wouldn't send it, (Or any other letter for that matter.) But in reality, this is a serious problem. There ae builders working in their house for the last couple of weeks, and the problem has escalated since they started. The Builders arrive at 6:30am, and the Dogs start barking agrressively at them. They don't stop until they leave, and then they start again, randomly barking at nothing. I have watched them, and they are literally just standing there, barking!
    I have a headache first thing in the morning, and believe it or not, the Drilling, and hammering from the builders doesn't bother me. The Dogs, annoy the hell out of me. I was going to post a recording, but i think it is too recogniseable. Can anyone recommend anything to do about this? I don't want to be the complaining neighbour, but it is really getting to me.. I have three weekdays off, and I am woken first thing in the morning, when i'd love a lie in.. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Go speak to the neighbour, and explain your problem in a neighbourly way. Letter writing is something you do when a bank pisses you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

No to notes

They're like text messages, people pick up hidden meanings where none exist and take offense at straightforward points

And then you'll come home some evening with a note waiting for you

Go talk to the neighbour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Call to your neighbour. Talk to them nicely first, if that gets you nowhere then take further action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Wasn't ever going to send that, it was more just to release some frustrations, (which worked :) ).
    Yeah i definitely will talk to them, but never see them, i called in twice last week (Not about Dogs), as i was told a courier had delivered to them on Saturday, for me, and i couldn't get them. In the end, they gave it to another neighbour, who gave it to me.

They're very hard to contact.
    Also, my main issue is with what to say. I don't want to say anything that may offend them, or P155 them off. I just really need to stop the barking. Also i don't want to call in too early in the morning, because i'm not at my best, i will be Very impatient and God knows what way that might end up going..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Write down the main points you want to make

How early they start barking
    The duration of the barking
    The affect it has on your life.

Start with a compliment about the dogs, them, the house whatever.
    Ask how long the building work is going to go on for as this seems to have exacerbated the situation.
    Then explain the issue with the dogs noise.
    Say you have read about different options for helping to control it like walking more often, water spray collars etc.
    Say you want to be a good neighbour would hope if they had an issue with you that they in turn would feel they could come to you about it.

Keep it all very light and friendly at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Go talk to the neighbour, i had a knock from the RSPCA a few weeks ago about my dog barking out the back, i have 4 dogs, the inspector said they had a complaint the dogs out the back were just left there and never let out and were constantly barking and had nowhere to go for shelter ect. The inspector was invited in and took a quick look around and said everything was fine and didnt know why the complaint was made:rolleyes: I live in a housing estate and every house around me has little dogs who jump up at my wall barking and set my dogs off who are bigger and bark louder! I was fairly pissed off because of this because id nearly be sure it was one of the neighbours with the small dogs that called them. My dog is out for about an hour and a half every evening for a long walk and the other dog is the brothers and he is out a few times a day but never once have i seen any of the neighbours walking their dogs. I would have appriciated a knock on my door instead of them making a complaint

I know that these dogs are walked once a week. They Were purposely bought small dogs, because "They could leave them out the back, and they'll be grand". I remember that quote, because when he said it, He was saying it was his intention of buying a Pet/Dog that didn't anyone there 24/7, as nobody would be.

So i'd imagine that's their biggest reason for barking.

Saying that, I know suggesting walking them, will make no difference, as nobody in the house has time apparently.

I did put a flyer in their door the other day from a Girl that walks Dogs, Don't know how that was viewed.

The RSPCA idea mightn't be bad, at the least, it may let them know i'm pee'd off, but a bit of a sneakiness about it, so not mad on that.

Someone suggested i write a note, but i dismissed it straight away, I would end up going off on one, too, and then make a bags of it.

I can't contact them, i have tried, I think the Wife is away while building work is on, and not sure where he is during the day, or just doesn't answer door or phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Id defo ty talk to them before making a complaint but it seems you have been trying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I always get angry when someone says small dogs don't need walking, our smallest guy a Jack Russell Cross needs so much more walking than his big sister a Retriever Cross. :mad:

The poor doggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Fair dues to you for your efforts so far and sympathies all around from me: for the disturbance caused to you; for the builders having to work under those conditions but especially for the dogs. They are behaving naturally as a pack under threat. This is not their “fault”. They do not appear to be well-cared for, e.g. a walk a week? Also, at the start of the work, it would not have been difficult for the owners to “introduce” the dogs to the builders and to the sounds of their work so that the dogs would not see them as invaders. Now, unfortunately, the dogs have “trained” themselves to warn every other dog in your county.
    I agree with previous suggestions about talking to the owners but I can foresee some difficulty persuading them that their animal ownership skills are lacking. If unsuccessful, you’ll need to consider the next step. Are there other neighbours being disturbed? Would they accompany you, as back-up?

Some years ago, there was a similar problem in my area – the owners were away all day and the dogs were as good as gold when they got home. However, local sufferers made it their business to disturb the dogs during the night so, when they eventually visited the dog-owners some days later, the owners could not assert that their dogs were silent, well-behaved angels. Just saying......not suggesting....

• Advertisement

Yep, there are other neighbours affected by it, and they have said it to me, so i was hoping (Still am a little) That they will say it first.. :rolleyes:

But it's been going on a bit long now. They look after the dogs i guess, i mean, they don't mistreat them or anything like that, but i will say that they're not in the best environment. When the builders started, one of the first things they did, was make a smaller area in the Garden, and put them in that. So that's where all of the barking comes from. It's still a biggish area, so don't be picturing a small "run" or anything like that.

That's how i can see them, from my bedroom that part of the Garden is visible, and they just stand there barking. Sometimes (As mentioned) They are just barking for the sake of it. One is looking around ,randomly barking, and the other one joins in..

I was thinking of getting one of those sonic sound things, that is triggered every time the dogs bark, and leaving it down the end of the garden. My understanding of them, is that they just sound a whistle that only dogs can hear, when they bark, which momentarily confuses them, and they look around trying to find where it comes from, stopping the barking.. Do they work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP...

Can i ask is there a reason why you wont approach your neighbours? are they scray neighbour type people? IYKWIM

its just i am a dog owner (we're not all scray people)... if my neighbours had an issue i would much prefer they come in and say it to me... i would mortified and make all efforts to fix the situation etc...

by putting the sound thing down the end of your garden may make them bark even more.....

My dog is never out.... bar maybe one day per week.... i adore dogs but CANNOT stand dogs barking for no reason... if my neighbours got a dog and it barked all day etc i would DEF go in face to face and say it to them.

just go in nice approach etc and explain the situation... they may surprsie you :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Sorry for your dog barking troubles!!! That's a total nightmare. If they re difficult to get or are away while the works are being carried out knocking might be a but tricky. I'm a real letter writer but find that things can be a lot calmer if you approach people first if possible. If they're usually rude or aggressive then go the written route!!! ... But as your own has shown things get ramped up quickly!!!!:)

What you could do is try & get the builders on your side & knock for them; they will no doubt not be too happy about the dogs either & might want someone who they can funnel their complaints through!!!
    Ie your neighbour knocked & said can you put the dogs in kennels while the works are going on or she's going to call the dogwarden/ make a complaint through the district court over the noise if it dosnt stop immediately.

You shouldn't have to spend the money on a sonic whatnot; suggest to them that they get one as a solution to their problem.

If it's a long term thing & you getniwhere with them you will have to demonstrate that you have endeavoured to contact then. To use a letter for a noise complaint you will need to have their name on it ; so not dear neighbour, but dear Mr & Ms x.

You could try brief;If theve any cop on ( arguable) they will act on it.

Your address, date & year.

Dear me & ms x,

We have been neighbours for some time & always enjoyed cordial relations which I would Luke to see continue.
    However there is an ongoing problem with persistent disruption & barking from your property which is severely impacting on the quality of my life.

It has become completely unbearable over the past x days/ weeks with the building works I note are going on in your property.

I would be grateful if you could make arrangements for the dogs to be kennelled during thus extended period of works as I am unable to live with the ( shrill)( constant)( distressing) ( unacceptable) level of persistent loud and distressing barking.

I would be grateful if you could make arrangements without delay as it is seriously impacting on my life & ability to enjoy my property.

Yours, with thanks,
    X

Keep a copy, the dates& if it isn't addressed then you can take it further.
    Several neighbours where u live have driven their neighbours half mad with their inconsiderate dogs. The neighbours have since all filed complaints with the district court ; all the owners now take proper care of their dogs & their barking ( 1 page form basic & include times & dates of dogs noise & copies of letters of complaint & how you tried to address it with them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Sorry for confusion!!!
    That last bit was meant to read " if it ISN'T addressed to them you can't take it further through the authorities" & " several neighbours where I live ( not u live!!!) have filed complaints with the district court.."

Your neighbours sound like really selfish inconsiderate bleeps

Hope it works out well & quietly for you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

I have the same problem. Neighbour a few doors down has one dog, who barks constantly from about 7.30am-noon, and also a few hours at night (10/11ish for an hour or two). Constant barking.

The only thing is, I dont actually know any of my neighbours, no idea what the dog owners look like etc, so don't want my first encounter with them to be me complaining about their dog. Something has got to be done about it though, its every single morning and is extremely irritating. Also, other neighbours seem to have gotten a dog too, who barks because of dog 1's barking.

If i was to go over, what would i say? I'm horrible with confrontation, ill crumble :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

I have a neighbour who's dog used to bark all night long! I happened to meet her one day and she asked me how I was, I replied that I was wrecked because I was up half the night due to someone's dog barking and asked her if she heard anything. She said she hadn't heard a thing (WTF?). I just said that I was considering calling the dog warden to investigate as I was finding it difficult to function at work with no sleep. Anyway she took the hint and not a sound since!!!

Of course if you don't meet your neighbour then this might not be possible. Is there a residents association on your estate? You should find out if there is and raise the issue with the chairperson. It might be as simple as them circulating a leaflet about nose pollution, etc.

Also, I don't think the builders should be starting at 6.30. In a residential area they shouldn't start until 8am.

Best of Luck!

^^^ Brilliant idea :D ^

Went to work yesterday, Got home last night around 12:30, woke up this morning, No Dogs!! :eek: :D:D:D:D :confused::confused:

I have no idea where they are, and TBH, i don't really care. I only hope they have gone somewhere nice. :)
    I have a feeling that they are only gone whilst the builders are still there. (I would have assumed the Dogs would have gotten used to/familiar with them, but they never did.)

So they will probably return in a couple of weeks, but at least the Barking may have stopped early in the morning.

I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING!! - I wonder have they gone to one of those Animal behaviour course things.. That would be amazing.. Early Christmas present.. :D

Thanks everyone for the advice and help, some good ideas that will help someone else :p, as i don't seem to have that problem anymore :p;).

I hope I'm not jumping the gun.. If i wake in the morning and they are barking, i'll pull my hair out.. This is the first time since they got them, that i have ever witnessed them not in the garden. Been 3 hours now, so they're not on a walk.

Advertisement