Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official White Christmas Thread 2011!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

pauldry wrote: »
    FANTASY CHRISTMAS DAY FORECAST - MAYBE

Mild and breezy with some sunny spells especially in the South. Some showers too these most likely in the Northern half of the country. Moderate Westerly breeze. 20 to 25mph. Max Temps 8 to 11c. Min temp 3 to 6c.

bah!

STEPHENS DAY

Sudden serious blizzard with 10ft of snow in Dublin.:p

To be honest, so long as it wasn't too mild, the ideal sceanario is probably coldish but no snow on Christmas day (as most of us need to be mobile) but then lots of snow in the post Christmas / pre new year period when most of us are off and can play in the snow with our kids (that's my excuse) or whatever.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Latest Netweather forecast is below. Generally negative. That said, while I know precious little about weather, the GFS at 6z today looks fairly cold so perhaps this update is already out of date? Certainly the talk of a Christmas Heatwave seems miles off and I've still not given up on a white one.......

Christmas Weather 2011 - Forecast #8 Thursday 15th December
    Christmas Countdown:9 days to go!

....for this update we're again using one of our ensemble charts. If you didn't see the last update, this model runs a number of times with slight differences each time to give us a chance to see the probability of a range of outcomes - in this case a white Christmas.
    If you're hoping for some of the white stuff unfortunately tonight's update isn't going to fill you with too much joy, as there isn't too much blue showing on the maps and that's needed for a risk of snow at lower levels at least.

http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/images/winter/xmas2011/ensxmas2.png

We're still a little way off of the definitive answer, but we're drawing close to it now and as things stand the best chance of snow will be across the hills and mountains of Northern Britain - particularly Scotland. Further south we're really looking for a faily major turnaround for snow to be likely - stranger things have happened but it's a long shot now..

Give Santa a shake to find out the chance of snow in your part of the country, and stay tuned for the next update this coming Sunday (we'll be updating much more frequently from here on, right up to Xmas eve)

Next Update - Sunday 18th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

That said, while I know precious little about weather, the GFS at 6z today looks fairly cold

Was thinking that too - with the GFS showing minus 4's over the country on the 25th - not a million miles off what we have at the mo.

The ECM is less cold though - especially for the southern half of the country - but it's so far out it'll all change.

Keep them fingers crossed in any case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

At this stage the GEFS is showing a cold xmas eve and stephens day and a mider xmas day.

Here are the 24th and 26th, bringing wintry showers to the west and north in particular on both days

Suffice to say, all of this is subject to change.

185434.png

185435.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Wouldnt ya just love to see Evelyn eat humble pie!!
    She's way ott saying 2 nights in a row that Christmas day will see double figures.
    The 18z shows how snow could still be possible

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I'd enjoy watching Evelyn eating anything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

To quote our dear colleague & weather geek - the mighty Sponge - it's back to meh meh blah blah bland weather........:mad::mad::mad:

Yawn, yawn.

Need to do some more persistent snow dancing.:P

Maybe we could organise a flash mob? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This has to go down as the silliest thread of 2011 in this forum.

A wonderful collection of quarter truthlets and aspirations, 'backed' on occasion by self publicising idiot commercial forecasters and with large dollops of sheer delusion and snow bunny hugs layered on. :D

For the record.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cheer-for-swimmers-as-unseasonal-weather-puts-greece-in-the-shade-2973250.html
    It was one of the warmest Christmas Days on record, with a highest temperature of 14.4 degrees recorded at Met Eireann's Moore Park station near Fermoy, Co Cork.

In comparison, it was 13 degrees in Corfu, Greece and in Sardinia, Italy.

Klara Finkele, a forecaster with Met Eireann said they weren't exactly sure when the warmest Christmas Day was -- but yesterday was definitely one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »
    There is more chance of me skating across the river Suir on a motorised blaa than of snow this Christmas.

I just thought I'd bump this ;)

You got a lot of thanks and hugs for that post Mike :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

You guys enjoy kicking snow bunnies when they're down??

Snow bunny gets mammy to drive it everywhere and does not pay the heating bills :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

She's way ott saying 2 nights in a row that Christmas day will see double figures.
    The 18z shows how snow could still be possible

Indeed...

Advertisement