Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone tell me it's all going to be ok

Options
  • 08-11-2011 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello, hello,

Yesterday, I found out I was pregnant. I have peed on 2 sticks, and both have multiple pink lines, so I know the first wasn't a fluke - plus my period is almost a week late.

I've never been pregnant before, neither have any of my friends, so I have no-one to talk to. In perfect timing, my hubby is out of the country for another 3 weeks, but he knows - we're both delighted,

I'm also away from home for a few more days, so I'm not able to get to the doctor until Friday (unless I find something round here), and I'm starting to freak out:

Is absolute exhaustion normal?
    I slept for over 10 hours last night, and still can't stop yawning...

What about the mild PMS like twinges? Nothing painful, but i definitely feel the occassional twinge in my lower abdomen, both sides.

And morning siockness - I'm not actually getting sick, but I feel like I am going to puke at any second - particularly if anyone walks past with a coffee/strong perfume.#

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I just want to set my mind at ease before I get to the doctor.

Thanks for reading xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

It all sounds normal to me!

the tiredness is very common in the first stages of pregnancy, think of how much your body is doing in growing a new little person inside you, it's bound to take it out of you.

I remember the twinges as well, I used to get them a lot on my first pregnancy in particular. Your uterus is expanding and other stuff going on in there!

I totally sympathise on the smells too - on my first pregnancy the smell of ANYTHING would set me off, as you mention coffee and perfume, but I found what got to me most of all was fabric softener. Even strong cooking smells would do it. Morning sickness is horrible, hopefully you won't suffer too badly.

Definitely get to the doctor as soon as you can, although once they have confirmed the pregnancy they will probably tell you not to come back until you are about 12 weeks. Congrats on your pregnancy, hope it all goes well and relax as much as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's all gonna be ok!!

(i'm a bloke btw)
    All sounds normal to me! Much of the sickness in herselfs case came form smells and odours rather than what I imagined morning sickeness to be..Soon getting home from work and going straight to bed will be normall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Congratulations. You need to get to a chemist asap and get some folic acid and start taking them you dont need a prescription or anything but you definitly need to start taking them. Then get yourself to the doctor :)
    Everything else you have said seems pretty normal I got some pains at the start of my pregnancy too as long as there is no bleeding or strange discharge it should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Flugelblues

I am so glad to find this post!! (Congrats to the poster!) :)

I found out this weekend that I am pregnant and have been freaking out a bit. It is my first too! I have lots of little pms-like twinges (but not as bad) and am completely exhausted. I am four weeks pregnant and am already taking folic acid but going to the doctor soon. I was worried about the twinges - every time I go to the bathroom I keep expecting to see the worst!

Thanks for the reassurance!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Congrats!

It all sounds fine to me. I got quite tired, and take the odd nap, espeically if its a busy day at work but others were practically zonked with fatigue, its all part and parcel of being preggers.

I didnt get morning sickness, or nausea, but found that some perfumes - especially the cheaper ones hit the back of my throat unpleasantly (but then that can happen me in a non pregnant state too) I found myself getting "gaggy" if I was hungry, say 30 mins before lunch so now I have a snack drawer at work to help me out, and filled it with fruit.

A lot goes on in the early weeks, all your body's energy is diverted to that little important bean. By the first 12 weeks baby has developed all major body parts and organs, the rest of the pregnancy is to further grow and strengthen these budding organs. The baby's development is most active when you sleep, so do what your body is telling you.

I have the growing twinges. At 5 weeks I had a half hour of bad ones and was convinced I was going to see blood but all was fine, and have had small twinges and pms like heaviness from then on. I equate it to blowing a balloon - after the inital big puff to stretch the balloon its an easy steady inflate to the end. I get the twinges on either side and they can feel like getting a stitch but all is fine (I have a doppler now so can listen to the heartbeat for reassurance)

Start folic acid if you havent already, and remind yourself of the no-no foods that you need to avoid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement