Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Dublin Southside moving/living?

Options
  • 08-11-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

So I am kinda sick of living in the city centre (but still love it)and planning on moving in feb/mar/apr next year. But I think I need some help in deciding on where to move.

Since I am from north co dublin I kinda dont know the towns on the South side of the city and would like to move to the south side maybe somewhere along the DART line but not miles away as I work in the City centre and like to go for a drink in the City centre at the weekends.

So where would you guys recommend me to move to? At the moment I am paying €400pm in rent, my room is pretty BIG I must say so I know I am lucky at the moment, but too many students living in the apt block I am in so noise is kinda a big problem.

Also, my reasoning for moving southside would be due to my fella living in Bray and would be handy to be closer but not too far away from CC.

Anyone any recommendations on where nice to move that has great transport and lovely neighbours.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,803 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In my experience:

Sandyford, Leopardstown, Dundrum - all on the Luas so easy access to City Centre.

Dun Laoghaire - on the dart, longer to get into city centre but easier to get to Bray.

Are you moving on your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

I moved to Dundrum recently and like it. Closer to work (for me), beside the shopping centre with cinema and decent bar and right beside the Luas. The last Luas leaves town at 12.30 Monday to Saturday which is grand for a pint or two after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

awec wrote: »
    In my experience:

Sandyford, Leopardstown, Dundrum - all on the Luas so easy access to City Centre.

Dun Laoghaire - on the dart, longer to get into city centre but easier to get to Bray.

Are you moving on your own?

What is Sandyford and Leopardstown like to live? Nice areas?

Yeah moving on my own. A not so close friend of mine moved to Deansgrange last year into an amazing house sharing with a gay couple who owned the house. After seeing this house it was on my mind that it wouldnt really be a problem sharing with the owners, and at the moment I am sharing with a couple, they didnt tell me they were a couple before i moved in, bit sh!t of them but hasnt been a problem really.
    Nice as it was, I did find traveling to Deansgrange a bit of a distance on the bus :o
    markpb wrote: »
    I moved to Dundrum recently and like it. Closer to work (for me), beside the shopping centre with cinema and decent bar and right beside the Luas. The last Luas leaves town at 12.30 Monday to Saturday which is grand for a pint or two after work.

Sounds nice tbh! Only really been to Dundrum once to see the the Shopping centre:p

I think I am just sick of the city centre with all the Junkies and scumbags everywhere I go, so might be an idea to move out a little and get used to traveling into work instead of getting up at 9am to be in at 10 lol I know.

I do work beside Connelly train station so Dart would be better but open to other options too!!!

Thanks for your replies so far!!!!

Sandyford and Leopardstown are both very nice areas. Both close to the Dundrum town centre.

Though if your budget is 400 you are definitely going to be looking to share.

Oh yeah deffo sharing, cant afford to rent on my own at all.

• Advertisement

Have you got anyone lined up?

Ah no not yet. Just trying to get an idea of the southside area. Would be thinking of moving in feb or mar or apr. No contract where I am at the moment so just give a months notice when I widdle it down to where I want to move to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Ah no not yet. Just trying to get an idea of the southside area. Would be thinking of moving in feb or mar or apr. No contract where I am at the moment so just give a months notice when I widdle it down to where I want to move to.

That's 'whittle', widdling it down sounds a bit freaky. :)

HAHA! Oh god sorry. Whittling it down I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Have you considered Blackrock? On the DART line, great village with shopping centres, cafes, bars etc. One of my favourite suburbs of Dublin.

• Advertisement

God, how did I forget about Blackrock! I used to go to college there for a bit years ago. Nice area!

Will have a look on daft to see whats there too.

EDIT: Only one place in Blackrock atm, but will keep that in mind for the new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Would you consider somewhere on the DART on the northside? Back-up choice of quite a few bus routes that would get you to Connolly.

I wouldnt tbh, want to be closer to my fella.

Talked to him about it last night, he had a few valid points on why I should stay in or around the city centre and no point moving out of the city closer to him as he is in town all the time anyway, I see his point. But understands why I would want to move out a bit.

He was recommending to stop looking on daft as its not the best anymore(as there is great places on there but they are taken as soon as they go up) and maybe put up an ad on gumtree or gáire(or whatever its called) or queer.ie to find a nicer place/people around the city thats not as noisy. But as I have said I will be thinking about this for a little while as wont be moving for another 3 or 4 months.

Just so hard to find a place that is perfect for what I am looking for, even though I know I will never find it unless i want to buy, which is not happening haha.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dundrum would be a pain in the arse to get near to Bray unless you have a car (can use the M50).

Sandymount, Blackrock, Monkstown and Dalkey are the nicest along the coast (but pricier). Maybe look at Dun Laoghaire too - not as "villagey" but has plenty going on there (good and bad!)

And do not underestimate the convenience of the DART over buses. When the DART was out of action last week it took me three times as long on a bus that parallels the DART all the way into town.

As I said though, it's about balancing. Dundrum is harder to get to Bray but a lot quicker into town.

Though in saying that it'd require a walk from St Stephens Green to work every day, I think it's about a 20 minute walk to connolly street from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

+ 1 for Blackrock if you want to be near the dart.

If you have a car then Dundrum,Sandyford & Stepaside all great places to live & with the Luas you are very close to town.

Advertisement