Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benifits of Diet feeding /TMR

• 08-11-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Something i was thinking about in the future, we are running a calf to beef system feeding meal to calves and weanlings and then finishing off grass try to do it without meal, currently we just feed pit silage and meal put on top but you tend to see some lads eating it quicker and some left behind, especially now as we made 2nd cut wraps and the contractor didnt realise the knifes were down do its all stringy and getting pulled into the slats and meal falling through it etc. we also have our own straw this year and was hoping to feed some
    So Just wondering can it be justified, running a feeder the diesel etc, have you started using one and noticed any difference even with out changing the feeding pattern too much, ideally i would be hoping the do better over the winter and in turn have them finishing quicker, would like to hear peoples experiences please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we have no waste at all, all troughs are clean every morning, wouldnt change back now at all , we have a keenan 170 feeder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

whelan1 wrote: »
    we have no waste at all, all troughs are clean every morning, wouldnt change back now at all , we have a keenan 170 feeder
    how often do you feed them

cows are fed morning and evening when fully housed, other stock fed once a day, sucklers on out farm fed twice a week ( the sucklers just get straw, silage and minerals in the feeder)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

whelan1 wrote: »
    cows are fed morning and evening when fully housed, other stock fed once a day, sucklers on out farm fed twice a week ( the sucklers just get straw, silage and minerals in the feeder)

twice per day , geez , thats laborious

irishh_bob wrote: »
    twice per day , geez , thats laborious
    yup, but the trough would not hold enough for once per day feeding:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

Thanks for the info so far, i would be hoping that i could make a mix stretch to 2 days if i was going down that road, i take it you dont feed bales with the keenan feeder Whelan, i was thinking a s/h tub feeder would be more verastile, @ whelan seen as your sucklers are only getting the silage/ straw mix would you think its worth it, i know you said less waste, did it make any difference to them over the normal way of doing it

our sucklers are house in cubicles:eek: with automatic scrapers... its a set up i used when i was starting out dairying , so theres feeding troughs etc there, they do very well on the tmr . we have them in a few groups and can throw some meal on top- to bulls etc- if we want ....tbh the cows are as fat as fools when they go in so dont need meal, we dont feed baled silage in the feeder....over christmas etc we can stretch the cattle feed over 2/3 days instead of daily but the troughs would be over flowing iykwim

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Nutcase

F.D wrote: »
    Thanks for the info so far, i would be hoping that i could make a mix stretch to 2 days if i was going down that road, i take it you dont feed bales with the keenan feeder Whelan, i was thinking a s/h tub feeder would be more verastile, @ whelan seen as your sucklers are only getting the silage/ straw mix would you think its worth it, i know you said less waste, did it make any difference to them over the normal way of doing it

You could make a mix to last 2-3 days but cattle i feel are more content on fresh feed fed daily. It doesnt take long to feed them either sure all you have to do is throw some stuff into the feeder let it mix for few minutes then throw it out its handy really. No more back pains grapin at a bale of silage twice a day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

what ingredients are you putting in the milkers mix @ whelan, i've 20 heifers calving next week and i want to give them a bit of a push.

i am getting a 21% coarse ration offlocal mill for €245,waiting on results of triticale/ lupins silage that i made- tests where done over 3 weeks ago and we will work from there, cows still out during the day so haven't fully worked everything out yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭valtraman

I have an old keenan ,no knives so bales a complete no no otherwise with planning of how you fill it having most meal premixed and thinking out time savings ,not running about all over the place for little bits of feed everyday feeding is no problem and the weight of feed for each group can be judged to have empty troughs most days .would you like to have the same dinner plate dished up to you for 3 days until it was all eaten :eek:

Fair point nutcase & valtraman, suppose if its easy to mix and feed out the correct amount once a day its a better idea,
    so i'm taking it by the responses, theres no one that thinks its a waste of time or money then or regrets buying one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

F.D wrote: »
    Something i was thinking about in the future, we are running a calf to beef system feeding meal to calves and weanlings and then finishing off grass try to do it without meal, currently we just feed pit silage and meal put on top but you tend to see some lads eating it quicker and some left behind, especially now as we made 2nd cut wraps and the contractor didnt realise the knifes were down do its all stringy and getting pulled into the slats and meal falling through it etc. we also have our own straw this year and was hoping to feed some
    So Just wondering can it be justified, running a feeder the diesel etc, have you started using one and noticed any difference even with out changing the feeding pattern too much, ideally i would be hoping the do better over the winter and in turn have them finishing quicker, would like to hear peoples experiences please

My contractor used to use that excuse also, unchopped bales use alot of diesel. My bales now are all chopped with 23 knives and its easier on everything and way faster.
    Here, weanlings and heifers are fed every second day and as numbers change between drys and milkers, the smaller group is fed every second day too. Advantages are less mixes and no pushing up on the first day iykwim.

As for performance, it all depends on what you put in and the monkey loading it, get in some nutritionists and feed reps etc, milk info from them. Keeping it simple is the key, depending on the groups you have to feed, a single blend might do. Or with different forages and groups to feed have a wheat, barley, maize, hulls or citrus blend and a protein blend of soya, rape, distillers etc, allowing you to tailor their ration correctly. If you have scale, you can buy straights in full loads. By products like brewers etc or beet, lots of options.

I don’t regret buying one, for me, I have everything fed for 10 most mornings, no meal or minerals to carry around, just push it up for them a few times. I like the routine of it, before with bales or pit and meals and minerals it was never ending.

Hi jeff thanks for your info in the contractors defence also a friend of mine some thing broke and the knife bank fell down but he admitted it to me that evening along with another few customers he had done after me and gave a good discount because of the inconvienence,

Advertisement