Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counter Offer - What to do?

Options
  • 08-11-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have recently accepted another job and went to hand in my notice this morning.

However - my boss wants me to stay and has offered a better salary than the new job offers.

What to do next?

Try and talk to the potential new employers and renegotiate starting salary?

I have agreed verbally in my previous interview a salary which I was happy with at the time. But nothing written yet nor a contract signed.

Any advice / previous experiences would be great..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Are you just trying to play the new company, or would you stay in the current job?

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently a very high percentage of people who stay after a counter-offer, end up leaving again within a year. There are usually other reasons than just the money, and they rarely seem to get addressed. Exact same thing happened to me a while ago, and I ended up leaving the next year.

If you're just trying to get more from the new place and are definitely going to leave, then you can mention it, or see if there are other ways that they could compensate you (extra leave / pension etc).

Did you go through an agency or deal with them directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

I have to totally agree with Eoin on this, be very carefully, the reason your leaving your present job is probably more than just money even if you don't realise it.

Done it years ago, handed in my notice and then stayed on when I was offered more money. Big mistake and I was gone within a year anyway. To add to the twist years later I applied for a position in the company I was to join and low and behold I ran into the same people in the interview who remembered me after all the years. Needless to say they bought up what I did then and I didn't get a second interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Eoin wrote: »
    Are you just trying to play the new company, or would you stay in the current job?

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently a very high percentage of people who stay after a counter-offer, end up leaving again within a year. There are usually other reasons than just the money, and they rarely seem to get addressed. Exact same thing happened to me a while ago, and I ended up leaving the next year.

If you're just trying to get more from the new place and are definitely going to leave, then you can mention it, or see if there are other ways that they could compensate you (extra leave / pension etc).

Did you go through an agency or deal with them directly?

Went to the new company direct. No agency. I feel like I undersold myself when receiving my job offer and agreed to the first salary suggestion. I wasnt prepared for the offer on the day but I was delighted to be offered it to my suprise.

The new role offers a role in an area which further my career and skills. But may lack the security of my present role.

There is plenty of pros and cons thats for sure.

I think I will arrange another meeting ASAP with my potential new employers and discuss the latest circumstances in relation to the counter offer and try and get them to match this offer if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Just explain that your current company has increased your salary in an effort to keep you ,tell them to match it or your staying were you are.

If you leave in a year so be it but you will leave at a different salary level and will be wiser for future negotiations

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

All sorted - got the new company to agree terms

Cheers guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

great stuff - win win! congrats.

Advertisement