Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 pints of beer = "hazardous drinking" now...

Options
  • 08-11-2011 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

More than 500,000 children are at risk in Ireland because of their parents' hazardous drinking, research from the Alcohol Forum reveals.

The findings also show that of the 587,000 children affected, more than 50% were under the age of 15.

In the National Drinking Survey of 2010, one in 10 adults reported their children experienced verbal or physical abuse or witnessed violence and were left in unsafe conditions because of their drinking.

Dr Ann Hope, who carried out the research, said the definition of hazardous drinking might surprise many people.

"Hazardous drinking is defined as drinking four or more pints of beer at a session. 'Regular' means at least once a month, according to the EU and WHO," she said.

Dr Hope added that "hazardous drinking" affects people in all walks of life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I'm pissed after four pints.

If you are shocked at this you may need to examine your own drinking habits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Then call me the Duke of Hazzard(ous drinking).

I drink far too much. It's not healthy.

But there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

any thoughts OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A lot of people aren't.

Doesn't make them alcoholics.

The study needs to outline how many of the kids actually incurred the justifiable wrath of their parents for not fetching snacks fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I'd say that doctor is an absolute blast at parties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ban drikning, I say. Nothing can be too extreme and you can't be too careful when it comes to looking after our precious little ones, Joe.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I call that brekkie beers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I might meet up with the lads once every 4-6 weeks on a Friday or Saturday night, all in our mid-late 30's, none of us on a night out like that would have any less than 4 pints, and I wouldn't consider any of us to have a drinking problem or be "hazardous" drinkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

if people are getting verbally and physically abusive around kids after only 4 pints theres a lot more wrong going on than just drinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

One pint would be hazardous to my shoes, they end up in the strangest of apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Me too, but I am 5'6 of pure intolerance to alcohol. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

stovelid wrote: »
    A lot of people aren't.

Doesn't make them alcoholics.

The study needs to outline how many of the kids actually incurred the justifiable wrath of their parents for not fetching snacks fast enough.

I'm calling Shanegans.

Show me someone who isn't an alcoholic who is not pissed after 8 units of Alcohol.

EDIT- A Pint is 2 Units, just so ya know ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I'd really rather not have spent the past 20 odd years drinking

danniemcq wrote: »
    I'd say that doctor is an absolute blast at parties

Doctors always have the best meds at parties.

"Just one of these babies and you'll feel like you're underwater in a room of chocolate for about an hour."

I'm calling Shanegans.

Show me someone who isn't an alcoholic who is not pissed after 8 units of Alcohol.

They're pissed alright - but it depends on tolerance so they might not act too drunk. I think that's what people are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

if people are getting verbally and physically abusive around kids after only 4 pints theres a lot more wrong going on than just drinking

My guess is annoying kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Should take at least a couple of shorts too.

I'm calling Shanegans.

Im not. a bit merrier, not pissed. I think you may just be a lightweight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Are you serious? I know quite a few. Four pints wouldn't usually have me very drunk. Often drink affects you in different intensities from occasion to occasion too. Are you saying that everybody is "pissed" after 4 pints? Maybe you should say tipsy or drunk. Pissed implies, you know, pissed.

Anyway, as said, if you are abusive to your children after 4 pints, you have deeper problems than holding your drink.

So my children are not safe around me after a few beers:confused:

• Advertisement

Snakeblood wrote: »
    My guess is annoying kids.

Thats a point. How come these studies of 'at risk' kids never look at the kids themselves to see if theyre asshats or really ugly. Could be the kids driving the adults to drink.

Ban kids!

So my children are not safe around me after a few beers:confused:

They shouldn't be having even one beer.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    They shouldn't be having even one beer.

But they are better craic when they have had a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

There are a lot of life changing decisions taken at the 4 pints dilemma.Do I stay out and get ossified or do I go home wishing I'd stayed out?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Yeah Buddy

Sure you'd want four or five cans before leaving the house anyway...recessionary times and all :)

But they are better craic when they have had a few
    Well, I'm not denying it can take the edge off, but it can be dangerous, which is why I insist on on them sellotaping cushions to themselves before they've had even a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Is this rediculous labelling of people that is going on, not part of a wider thing in this country where everything is gone too politically correct, that it's now apparently a "hazard" to go out and have 4 pints?!?

To the government, or whatever idiotic quango "think-tank" dreamt up this study, if you go down to Talbot Street or Henry Street in Dublin City, or down by the boardwalk there along the Liffey Quay, you'll see dozens of junkie parents with their infant children in buggies, buying and using Class A drugs such as heroin, crack cocaine, etc.

When you've sorted out that problem, then come back and we'll have a talk about me and my 4 pints on a Saturday night, until then, please do us all a favour and fúck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Once a month is regular? lol

Wouldn't necessarily disagree with her about 4 pints thing though....if you're downing 4 pints (or equivalent) 2-3 times a week, whilst you may not consider it to be problematic, over a course of years you are doing a lot of damage to your system, and it could be having an impact on relationship or children. That might not be the popular "Oh I can drink for my country *hiccup*" AH bravado but it's the plain reality of things.
    It won't make you an alcoholic in the strictest sense, but you may well be partially dependent on alcohol even if just as a means to functioning socially...

• Advertisement

thing

ffs. being able to handle 4 or five pints twice a week does not make you an alcoholic. you are just a lightweight

Advertisement