Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 pints of beer = "hazardous drinking" now...

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

stimpson wrote: »
    If its such a poison the how do you explain studies showing that moderate drinkers live longer than teetotalers?

Isn't there something in red wine which slows down ageing?

old hippy wrote: »
    Is 4 pints a night moderate?

Sigh. Your inability to understand what is going on is tiresome. This thread is not about people drinking 120 pints a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Yahew wrote: »
    Normal and common are synonyms.

On most occasions, but here I mean medically normal, and also that it's not enough to get one drunk.

And I agree that in that latter sense it's normal for most Irish people, but a medical report can't go by that.

Basically, drinking 4 pints occasionally doesn't affect most Irish people to a great extent (though quite a few Irish people drink far more than that, drinking to unhealthy levels) but that doesn't make it a universal truth that drinking 4 pints is always fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Joshua Jones

I feel it only proper to warn people that I will be partaking in some hazardous drinking for the match tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

...but that doesn't make it a universal truth that drinking 4 pints is always fine.

The point of the thread is that 4 pints in one go is implied as being [always] hazardous or binge drinking, which is nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Isn't there something in red wine which slows down ageing?

Yep, but it's not just red wine drinkers. The same study also showed heavy drinkers had a lower mortality rate than teetotalers.

If people think its hazardous to drink 4 pints on an evening out then I'd like to see it supported with a little evidence. Instead we get anecdotes from people who have had issues with alcohol in the past and assume everyone who likes a few pints has a problem.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The point of the thread is that 4 pints in one go is implied as being [always] hazardous or binge drinking, which is nonsense.

I agree that for most people it's not hazardous but for a minority it is.

And reports like this have to err on the side of caution, so even though I think the report's figures are exaggerated, I don't think it's surprising that they are.

I agree that for most people it's not hazardous but for a minority it is.

And reports like this have to err on the side of caution

More nonsense. Reports like this have to be accurate. Either they have a scientific basis or they are merely opinion. It's a fluff piece to soften the blow when they put up the price of alcohol in the budget.

More nonsense. Reports like this have to be accurate. Either they have a scientific basis or they are merely opinion. It's a fluff piece to soften the blow when they put up the price of alcohol in the budget.

The problem is that everyone reacts to alcohol differently so to be completely accurate you'd need a report for every person.

Which is impossible, so what I'm sure they did was choose a conservative figure to play it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

We are a nation of drinkers. Under traditional Catholic and Prodestant laws it's all cool. It's dictatorial laws from our arrogant leaders in the Dail that made up new drinking laws for driving and 4 pints is hazardous blah blah. We are supposed to be in a democracy! Where is it, I ask?? The people never consulted about these laws. Not fair!

• Advertisement

The problem is that everyone reacts to alcohol differently so to be completely accurate you'd need a report for every person.

Which is impossible, so what I'm sure they did was choose a conservative figure to play it safe.

You don't need to study everyone. You need to study a reasonably sized sample and you can then say that x pints may be hazzardous for y% of the population. You can publish your findings and they can be peer reviewed. It's called science. If we're basing public policy on someone skewing data to "play it safe" then we've got problems.

I wish 4 pints was all I drank last night, my stomach feels like boiled shi*e!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I wish 4 pints was all I drank last night, my stomach feels like boiled shi*e!

Pints of what? I had 7 stouts my self must say I'm tip top..

bryaner wrote: »
    Pints of what? I had 7 stouts my self must say I'm tip top..

I could rephrase to "I wish I only had 7 pints" to be honest. Had around 7 Guinness, few hot whiskeys, jäger bombs, vodka and red bulls etc. I'm not too bad in fairness just don't feel like doing the few things I have to do today!

I could rephrase to "I wish I only had 7 pints" to be honest. Had around 7 Guinness, few hot whiskeys, jäger bombs, vodka and red bulls etc.

Ugh I feel for you..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Sigh. Your inability to understand what is going on is tiresome. This thread is not about people drinking 120 pints a month.

And I'm asking whether or not 4 pints is moderate.

You asked:

Is 4 pints a night moderate?

No, not every night. Occasionally, yes.

I would consider it moderate, unless it's every night. I went out Friday night and had 6 pints. I had a couple of cans at home Saturday night - maybe 4 pints. I probably won't drink again until next weekend, although I may have a pint with lunch one day this week.

Do you think that is moderate or not?

I would consider it moderate, unless it's every night. I went out Friday night and had 6 pints. I had a couple of cans at home Saturday night - maybe 4 pints. I probably won't drink again until next weekend, although I may have a pint with lunch one day this week.

Do you think that is moderate or not?

Compared to my intake, yes, I guess it is.

Compared to my intake, yes, I guess it is.

I don't mean relatively moderate. Do you think it's moderate for an average person?

• Advertisement

I don't mean relatively moderate. Do you think it's moderate for an average person?

Depends on the individual. What is the "average person", anyways?

Depends on the individual. What is the "average person", anyways?

Now you're just being evasive.

Now you're just being evasive.

When it comes to the drink there is no "average", there is no level playing field - alcohol affects the individual different to the next.

When it comes to the drink there is no "average", there is no level playing field - alcohol affects the individual different to the next.

OK, do you think it would be excessive for most people?

OK, do you think it would be excessive for most people?

My mate who died a couple of years ago - 2 was his limit.

My mate who may well die in a few years - the sky's the limit...

Depends on the individual. 4 pints ever so often is probably not excessive, 4 pints a night would be, IMHO

My mate who died a couple of years ago - 2 was his limit.

My mate who may well die in a few years - the sky's the limit...

Depends on the individual. 4 pints ever so often is probably not excessive, 4 pints a night would be, IMHO

And there you go. According to the OP, it is excessive.
    "Hazardous drinking is defined as drinking four or more pints of beer at a session. 'Regular' means at least once a month, according to the EU and WHO," she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

And there you go. According to the OP, it is excessive.

Looking back at the OP claim that the WHO define drinking more than 4 pints more than once a month as excessive - I can't find any reference to that on the WHO website.

They do have an interesting report on alcohol consumption, in which "Heavy episodic drinkers" are defined as having "60g or more of pure alcohol on at least on occasion weekly".

Based on about 30 seconds of research, there appear to be about 10g of alcohol in half a pint of 5% beer, so 3 pints in a go once weekly would fall into that category. Which is possibly more alarming than the 4 pint session once a month in the OP.

MOH wrote: »
    Looking back at the OP claim that the WHO define drinking more than 4 pints more than once a month as excessive - I can't find any reference to that on the WHO website.

They do have an interesting report on alcohol consumption, in which "Heavy episodic drinkers" are defined as having "60g or more of pure alcohol on at least on occasion weekly".

Based on about 30 seconds of research, there appear to be about 10g of alcohol in half a pint of 5% beer, so 3 pints in a go once weekly would fall into that category. Which is possibly more alarming than the 4 pint session once a month in the OP.

Thats still funny..

Advertisement