Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 pints of beer = "hazardous drinking" now...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Is this rediculous labelling of people that is going on, not part of a wider thing in this country where everything is gone too politically correct, that it's now apparently a "hazard" to go out and have 4 pints?!?

To the government, or whatever idiotic quango "think-tank" dreamt up this study, if you go down to Talbot Street or Henry Street in Dublin City, or down by the boardwalk there along the Liffey Quay, you'll see dozens of junkie parents with their infant children in buggies, buying and using Class A drugs such as heroin, crack cocaine, etc.

When you've sorted out that problem, then come back and we'll have a talk about me and my 4 pints on a Saturday night, until then, please do us all a favour and fúck off.

thats not what politicly correct means

• Registered Users Posts: 34,962 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm pissed after four pints.

If you are shocked at this you may need to examine your own drinking habits

I cant stand people bragging about how much they can drink on a night out, but you must be a 5 foot 11 year old boy if 4 pints has you pissed.

Either that or you're drinking four pints of vodka.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Well, I'm not denying it can take the edge off, but it can be dangerous, which is why I insist on on them sellotaping cushions to themselves before they've had even a pint.

which in turn reduces the chances of time consuming visits from the emergency and social services

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

4 pints once a month is considered regular hazardous drinking , bullshít , 4 pints / cans is a 'sit down and watch a movie with mates' casual drink , or pre-drinks before the pub

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

staker wrote: »
    There are a lot of life changing decisions taken at the 4 pints dilemma.Do I stay out and get ossified or do I go home wishing I'd stayed out?

Indeed. The other, as you get older, is should I have the 4 pints tonight and fail to rise to the occasion later? :rolleyes:

I used to be a 5 a night man, you know. And I don't mean the pints :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

which in turn reduces the chances of time consuming visits from the emergency and social services

I can't stand they way they tell me how to raise little Faberge, Chanel and Twink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

old hippy wrote: »
    Indeed. The other, as you get older, is should I have the 4 pints tonight and fail to rise to the occasion later? :rolleyes:

I used to be a 5 a night man, you know. And I don't mean the pints :D;)

I hope you don't mean the kids either! :eek:

I'm calling Shanegans.

Show me someone who isn't an alcoholic who is not pissed after 8 units of Alcohol.

EDIT- A Pint is 2 Units, just so ya know ;)

Most people drunk after 4 pints? You must be joking. I would call 4 pints a "quick drink" after work as would anybody I know.

Most people drunk after 4 pints? You must be joking. I would call 4 pints a "quick drink" after work as would anybody I know.

People have different levels of tolerance shocker!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

4 pints once a month is considered regular hazardous drinking , bullshít , 4 pints / cans is a 'sit down and watch a movie with mates' casual drink , or pre-drinks before the pub

in ireland or the uk yeah, but anywhere else in the world itll get you funny looks for the most part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Who is the mod for this alcohol forum?

can we pm them some abuse?

Helix wrote: »
    in ireland or the uk yeah, but anywhere else in the world itll get you funny looks for the most part

Indeed, some countries it's seen as a sign of immaturity to be drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

ffs. being able to handle 4 or five pints twice a week does not make you an alcoholic. you are just a lightweight

I would call 4 pints a "quick drink" after work as would anybody I know

Comments like that make me cringe.

I like beer and I like wine, but I hate the alcohol culture where volume is what counts.

Most of my foreign friends, when they are being honest, say it's the most horrible thing about Ireland.
    casual drink

As apposed to what?
    To the government, or whatever idiotic quango "think-tank" dreamt up this study, if you go down to Talbot Street or Henry Street in Dublin City, or down by the boardwalk there along the Liffey Quay, you'll see dozens of junkie parents with their infant children in buggies, buying and using Class A drugs such as heroin, crack cocaine, etc.

When you've sorted out that problem, then come back and we'll have a talk about me and my 4 pints on a Saturday night, until then, please do us all a favour and fúck off.

Alcohol does far more damage in Ireland than illegal drugs, but the latter is more visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ambiguous report is ambiguous.

Over 500,000 children at "at risk". What does that mean?
    1 in 10 parents reports the child has witnessed or experienced alcohol-related problems. This means that 10% of children are "at risk". And unless we have 5,000,000 children in Ireland, then that 500,000 figure is bull****.

Also "The findings also show that of the 587,000 children affected, more than 50% were under the age of 15". Well considering that over 16 they're no longer a child, I should hope that more than half are under 15.

If they're trying to say that the parents of 587,000 children in this country drink 4 pints once a month, then no ****. If they're trying to say that this puts children "at risk", then bull****. I'm sorry, but just fnck off with your nonsense.

Children get abused and witness violence because their parents are scumbags, not because they drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    C
    Most of my foreign friends, when they are being honest, say it's the most horrible thing about Ireland.

Funny you should say that. Most of my Irish friends, when they are being honest, say the most horrible thing about Ireland is all the foreigners complaining about Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Comments like that make me cringe.

I like beer and I like wine, but I hate the alcohol culture where volume is what counts.

I don't think that's the point they are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Funny you should say that. Most of my Irish friends, when they are being honest, say the most horrible thing about Ireland is all the foreigners complaining about Ireland.

So honest criticism is to be rejected out of hand?

That's a great way to make problems go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

The only person I know that scuttered after four pints is my mam.

She has four or five glasses of wine on Christmas day and goes around singing and telling people she loves them before falling asleep on the couch and snoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Is it really all about actual physical violence or abuse though?
    I thought it was more about a negative impact on children via their parents' regular or over consumption of alcohol...

Children may not understand for instance why some nights mammy or daddy are in great form, laughing and joking and having the craic and the next morning or evening, ratty and short with them and perhaps even verbally abusive... the mood swings of regular drinkers may have an emotionally damaging impact on kids who need stability in relationships and don't know what the effects of drinking are or what they entail.
    The economic impact on children of parents may be a factor too...perhaps where an excess of the household income is spent on alcohol to the detriment of other purchases on perhaps more vital things for a good home life (food, clothes, toys, school stuff etc.)

Those underlying things are as worrying as the more extreme end of the scale in my view...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Necron

Scary stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I think we all need to understand that drink affects different people in different ways and that while for some 4 pints is nothing for others it is too much.

Lets not pretend that there is anything normal or healthy about the obscene amounts of drink consumed in this country.....we have a reputation as drinkers for a reason.

This ah-sure-everyone-does-it attitude has to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

This ah-sure-everyone-does-it attitude has to go.

But ah sure everyone has that attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

So honest criticism is to be rejected out of hand?

That's a great way to make problems go away.

It's the best way. The longer you ignore a problem, the less important it becomes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's the best way. The longer you ignore a problem, the less important it becomes.

And the more chance it might just go away.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Helix wrote: »

Have you ever been to Bavaria?

Would put us lot to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

4 pints? i dont know anyone who would be drunk after 4 pints other that some foreign friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

The only way 4 pints is hazardous is if you got behind the wheel of a car.

4 pints is a very quiet night.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

I'd normally drive home after 4 pints ffs - the piss water we get here.

Joke :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

four pints is a lot for me but then I'm not able to drink pints, would down 6 or 7 shorts with mixers in a night though. I hate my daughter seeing me intoxicated (she's 17 and doesn't drink) but she'll make deals with me that work in her favour if I do go out. She gets the house for herself and her mates on Saturdays and I get to go out and as long as I don't make a lot noise when I come in alls good in da hood. (or I crash at a friends place and her mates crash at ours)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The report's author is currently speaking on the news at one...

Have to wonder about the convenient timing of a report like this though... just in time for a budget and alongside all the other noises being made th past few weeks about minimum alcohol pricing seem to be trying to "nudge" public opinion and perhaps the attitudes of some TD's.

She did make a fair point about the levels of alcohol abuse in under 18s mind you... I don't think that there can be any doubt that abuse of drink in young teens is damgain to both them and society in general...and you have to think that price and availability aren't the only contributing factors here...the fact that the majority probably see one or both parents drinking regaulalrly from an early age and consider it the nomr and pehraps the thing to aspire to as a measure of maturity...

Advertisement