Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 pints of beer = "hazardous drinking" now...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Third hand smoke? How the hell does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

How many of the Government decisions where made in the Dail bar after some "hazardous drinking"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

How many of the Government decisions where made in the Dail bar after some "hazardous drinking"?

That's not a good argument for no limits on drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Wertz wrote: »
    Third hand smoke? How the hell does that work?

I think they attempted to say that smoke and tobacco particles left in furniture, carpets and walls, etc could be bad for you.

Highly unlikely except for the fanatically anti-smoking brigade.

Doubt anyone can say the same for first or second hand smoke though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I'm calling Shanegans.

Show me someone who isn't an alcoholic who is not pissed after 8 units of Alcohol.

EDIT- A Pint is 2 Units, just so ya know ;)

4 pints
    8 units

Thats nothing, I drank 2273 millilitres of beer last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

lord lucan wrote: »
    This is the exact same crap they started with smoking,Continually linking it with a myriad of diseases and medical conditions. Keep pushing the message until it becomes part of the public psyche. Look at Smokers now,regarded as pariahs of society (but cash cows to the Government) . Myths(depending on who you believe) such as second hand smoke and lately third hand smoke have become part of society and the way people think.

Alcohol is now being targeted and this will only ramp up over time. I fully expect alcohol to be linked with all manner of conditions over the coming years. And lets not forget the assault on "sugary drinks" and "fatty foods". It's only the start of things imo.

Any alcohol drinker that used to get up on their high horse about cannabis smokers is over the next few years about to feel the very same sting of lies and persecution that these so called "druggies" feel.
    The government don't give a shite about you.
    They feed you lies and keep you in the dark about most things because the common Irish man can't be trusted to look after themselves and shur we can get a few bob in tax out of it while we are at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I was sitting in the pub on saturday, i had 4 pints and i was that drunk side tipsy, so id well believe that statement

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

MOH wrote: »

I know Swedes who can drink as most Irish people I know, which either they've suddenly discovered an innate talent for, or they were drinking before coming here.
    I was at a party with 2 Danish guys over Halloween and they said the drinking culture over there would be fairly similar to ours. This backs up my perception of Danish people garnered from this webcomic :p.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

EDIT- A Pint is 2 Units, just so ya know ;)

That would depend on the strength of the beer, wouldn't it?

A pint of Miller is 2.8 units.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

reprazant wrote: »
    Are you attempting to say that smoking is not bad for you?

No,not at all. Just saying that the hysterical propaganda that's accompanied it such as third hand smoke is ridiculous and a sign of the lengths that lobby groups/governments will go to to see their agenda through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Bambi wrote: »
    Problem is when a doctor asks me how much I drink I usually "go...em I don't really drink regularly...um.. Like I might go out once or twice a month, ehh..but I would drink a far bit if I'm out I guess..umm or I might only have three or four" I don't actually believe myself so I doubt that he does tbh :D
    We all do that and doctors know it. Whatever you tell them they instantly multiply by two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

4 drinks in a month period is Hazardous drinking?? FFS, they need to be in a house where Hazardous drinking takes place where the husband and wife are alcoholics and they are bating the head off each other and then think of the couple have a few beers watching a film. I honestly think its laughable, when i heard this on drive time last night i laughed. they are so far removed from reality when 4 drinks is Dangerous.

I might have 3 bottles of beer on a saturday night watching a film and i could get up the next moring at 9 o'clock to play with my child with zero ill effects.

I seen a guy last week with 3 kids in a shop and he was locked buying a tray of cheap cans, now thats hazardous drinking.

Idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

4 Bottles of beer on the wall. Thought beer takes longer for someone to get drunk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheyKnowMyIP

Can somebody link to some grown up research please? Just because some "doctor" stamps their name on a ghostwritten article, does not serve as good research. Anybody with half a brain will recognise this. Lest this heap o ****e be consigned to the ****heap. This "research" will fade into obscurity. As Richard Feynman once said, the "cargo cult science" will expose itself eventually. This article is mere opinion masquerading as hard fact. It's bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kanoe viewpost.gif
    four pints is a lot for me but then I'm not able to drink pints, would down 6 or 7 shorts with mixers in a night though. I hate my daughter seeing me intoxicated (she's 17 and doesn't drink) but she'll make deals with me that work in her favour if I do go out. She gets the house for herself and her mates on Saturdays and I get to go out and as long as I don't make a lot noise when I come in alls good in da hood. (or I crash at a friends place and her mates crash at ours)
    Your daughter is making a complete fool out of you. In your absence she and her friends are most likely binge drinking and experimenting with drugs. not because there are bad kids just because they are kids, and even in the unlikely event they were not at this a few months ago they will be by now, that’s just growing up.

That fact that she has convinced you that you should not do anything to disturb her on your return to your own house (i.e. check out what sort of state she is in) is brilliant, not to mention the fact that she has somehow talked you into staying elsewhere on occasion to accommodate a bunch of seventeen year olds is a stroke of genius.

By now your house will be known as party central where on a Saturday night next to anything goes and why not ‘’sure the mother is off out herself and she doesn’t even come home half the time and when she does she sneaks in and runs off to bed’’

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the only time 4 pints would be anywhere near hazardous is if it was 4 pints of this :

http://www.brewdog.com/sink_the_bismark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Rosy Shortarse on talking platitudes with Matt Cooper now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

the only time 4 pints would be anywhere near hazardous is if it was 4 pints of this :

http://www.brewdog.com/sink_the_bismark

I really like Brew Dog beers - except Bitch Please. They do Zeitgeist as well don't they? One of my favourites at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

There's a couple of old geezers down my local, their there every day of the week from about 5 till 10, I'd have a guess that they sink 2 pints per hour. They'ed do some laughing at 4 pints per month being hazardous..

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

If drinking four pints is hazardous why dont the government encourage publicans to have a mid strenght beer on draught ,give people more options

• Advertisement

maxfresh wrote: »
    If drinking four pints is hazardous why dont the government encourage publicans to have a mid strenght beer on draught ,give people more options

Mid strength at half price..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Helix wrote: »
    in ireland or the uk yeah, but anywhere else in the world itll get you funny looks for the most part

That's rubbish.
    Im growing tired reading that its only Ireland and the UK where we like to go and get pissed.
    I regularly go on big sessions, all day sessions etc with friends from Italy, France etc. Some are out just as often as me and drink just as much.

Plenty of people from outside the UK and Ireland love getting hammered just like we do.

4 pints 2 or 3 times per week isn't heavy drinking never mind trying to claim doing it once per month is.

Too true. We didn't invent drinking ffs.

Home brewing spirits is extremely common in many European countries as far as I can see not to mention the rest of the world.

maxfresh wrote: »

Guinness have/had a low strength stout but there is zero demand for it so literally nobody has heard of it. Only place Ive seen it is the club house of a local golf club, the thinking being people could have a few pints and be under the limit. The bar man was saying they were selling very little of it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Guinness have/had a low strength beer but there is zero demand for it so literally nobody has head of it. Only place Ive seen it is the club house of a local golf club, the thinking being people could have a few pints and be under the limit. The bar man was saying they were selling very little of it.
    I think bulmers launched a mid strength cider a year or so ago. I assume it flopped.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Guinness have/had a low strength beer but there is zero demand for it so literally nobody has heard of it. Only place Ive seen it is the club house of a local golf club, the thinking being people could have a few pints and be under the limit. The bar man was saying they were selling very little of it.

I know a lad that had a pint of it, said it was muck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

o1s1n wrote: »
    you must be a 5 foot 11 year old boy if 4 pints has you pissed.
    That's one big baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I think bulmers launched a mid strength cider a year or so ago. I assume it flopped.

Compared to my 10% homebrew cider, Bulmers is mid strength. And I defy anyone to drink 4 pints of it.

stimpson wrote: »
    Compared to my 10% homebrew cider, Bulmers is mid strength. And I defy anyone to drink 4 pints of it.

Now 4 pints of that would have you humming..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What I find amusing OP is this is Ireland, where many children can already drink their parents under the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Goose81

I'm pissed after four pints.

If you are shocked at this you may need to examine your own drinking habits

Geek in being a lightweight shocker.

I have never seen any grown male adult pissed off 4 cans, regardless of how much or regularily they drink.

Advertisement