Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 pints of beer = "hazardous drinking" now...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

id love to send these doctors to an irish wedding and see what they thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm calling Shanegans.

Show me someone who isn't an alcoholic who is not pissed after 8 units of Alcohol.

EDIT- A Pint is 2 Units, just so ya know ;)

Is that a joke? I'd consider 4 pints barely drinking. Jesus when I was 13 I drank 4 cans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Is that a joke? I'd consider 4 pints barely drinking. Jesus when I was 13 I drank 4 cans.
    A year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Is that a joke? I'd consider 4 pints barely drinking. Jesus when I was 13 I drank 4 cans......

.... of Fanta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

farmchoice wrote: »
    Your daughter is making a complete fool out of you. In your absence she and her friends are most likely binge drinking and experimenting with drugs. not because there are bad kids just because they are kids, and even in the unlikely event they were not at this a few months ago they will be by now, that’s just growing up.

That fact that she has convinced you that you should not do anything to disturb her on your return to your own house (i.e. check out what sort of state she is in) is brilliant, not to mention the fact that she has somehow talked you into staying elsewhere on occasion to accommodate a bunch of seventeen year olds is a stroke of genius.

By now your house will be known as party central where on a Saturday night next to anything goes and why not ‘’sure the mother is off out herself and she doesn’t even come home half the time and when she does she sneaks in and runs off to bed’’
    ah..no she's not. She just doesn't like alcohol. I know you might find it hard to believe but last week they had organised a halloween party (costumes sweets etc) and she asked me to buy some alcohol so I got two large bottles of wicked and a four pack of west coast cooler thinking it would be light enough for them (some of her friends are 18) and I came back later and there was still a large bottle of wicked and two bottles of west coast cooler in the fridge. In fact they're still there. They entertain themselves with games, x box, wii and laptops and generally well behaved kids. her bf stays over too. problem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

You have to make a deal with your DAUGHTER to be let go out for a few pints on a Saturday night? That's a sorry state of affairs.
    Its called mutual respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Some weeks I'd be drunk off 5 pints, then some weeks it would take me more. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carverkid

Just heard on the news that the average age to start drinking in Ireland is fourteen.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'm calling BS on this report. I could find no "National Drinking Survey" as reported in the item. What I did find was the ISPCC National Childrens Consultation survey 2010 on attitudes towards drinking in the home and it had this to say:
    Furthermore a substantial 90% stated that their parental alcohol use does not affect them. This is a positive finding which implies responsible drinking by parents indicating moderate alcohol use or abstinence.

It is important however to note that 9% of young people surveyed feel that their parents alcohol use affects them hugely in a negative way.

Now if 500,000 children represents 9%, then we have a population of 5.5 million kids.

I'm sure it's no co-incidence that this is coming out at budget time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'm calling Shanegans.

Show me someone who isn't an alcoholic who is not pissed after 8 units of Alcohol.

EDIT- A Pint is 2 Units, just so ya know ;)

Wouldya go way outta that! Me and the lads would have 6 cans with ease before heading into town we'd be tipsy but by no means pissed, we'd then go onto shots and whatnot. But that's just normal as a student I would of thought. If any of the lads got drunk off 4 pints they would be shamed!
    seanbmc wrote: »
    Some weeks I'd be drunk off 5 pints, then some weeks it would take me more. :confused:

I've a theory that it depends on the brains state of mind. I was in liverpool at the weekend and as expected was drinking a lot, way more then in Dublin but I think thats cause my brain had to be more aware of my surroundings and I was building myself up for the trip as I knew there would be a lot of drinking. Where as if I was to go out now, probably 6 pints and I'd be well into tipsy

• Advertisement

Wouldya go way outta that! Me and the lads would have 6 cans with ease before heading into town we'd be tipsy but by no means pissed, we'd then go onto shots and whatnot. But that's just normal as a student I would of thought. If any of the lads got drunk off 4 pints they would be shamed!

Sure we're students.....we're alcoholics by default. I'm going out tonight and I'll probably have 6 or so cans before I even go out...and I'll be grand at that, only start getting drunk when we lay into the double vodka/red bulls in a club.

Sure we're students.....we're alcoholics by default. I'm going out tonight and I'll probably have 6 or so cans .

In America they call that ''Getting thrashed'' in Ireland it's ''Pre Drinks ''

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

df1985 wrote: »
    id love to send these doctors to an irish wedding and see what they thought.

Presumably an Irish wedding or funeral is the equal to the crazed depravity of the roman empire at its worst..they'd probably call in a haz mat team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Goose81

Preaching about alcohol consumption by doctors and non drinkers is just another case of political correctness gone mad.

A husband and wife sit down two Thursdays during the month while the kids are in bed. They flick on a film, he has 4 cans and she has a half a bottle of wine, they are now unfit parents and their drinking is at a hazardous level.

Normal people will be absolutely fine, unless you are Mr. Incognito and his other half, threatening to launch the kids out the window and swinging out of the walls because they are pissed after 4 cans.

FFS, these people need to cop the **** on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Yeah, but in America they drink about 30% what Irish people do, even when "getting thrashed"

mconigol wrote: »
    That's rubbish.
    No, it's not, coming from someone living outside Europe the last few years

Why would they be shamed? Theyd be spending far less on their nights out and getting the same results you think are do important to a successful night.

Id love to know how much the "I'm a hardcore drinker and can put away more booze than you can so I'm great and you're a lightweight" brigade spend on gargle a week, as a percentage if their income. I'd wager that'll be a hell of a lot more shameful

It's not that alien. I've had drinks with various nationalities all of whom enjoyed getting 'trashed' the Irish way on occasion. A few days my Canadian friend was so hammered she was refused entry to a small local bar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

stimpson wrote: »
    I'm calling BS on this report. I could find no "National Drinking Survey" as reported in the item. What I did find was the ISPCC National Childrens Consultation survey 2010 on attitudes towards drinking in the home and it had this to say:

Now if 500,000 children represents 9%, then we have a population of 5.5 million kids.

I'm sure it's no co-incidence that this is coming out at budget time.

Also 90% said their parents' alcohol use has no effect on them, 9% said it had a hugely negative effect leaving only 1% to say somewhat negative. Odd result there too.

Helix wrote: »
    Why would they be shamed? Theyd be spending far less on their nights out and getting the same results you think are do important to a successful night.

Id love to know how much the "I'm a hardcore drinker and can put away more booze than you can so I'm great and you're a lightweight" brigade spend on gargle a week, as a percentage if their income. I'd wager that'll be a hell of a lot more shameful

I know plenty of more heavy drinkers then me, but that doesn't make me a lightweight?If 4 pints 'pissed' is not being a lightweight as a man then what is? 2 pints? 1 pint?

If I wanted to spend less money and get pissed I'd just get a litre of vodka. It's to do with just casually drinking cans/beers with the lads. There's nothing worse then somebody trying to keep up and then being so pissed and getting refused when heading out cause they just didn't stop drinking.

Different nights, different amounts. Know your limit, but by I'd say 90% of people I know that drink regularly would say 4 pints is nothing.

• Advertisement

Different nights, different amounts. Know your limit, but by I'd say 90% of people I know that drink regularly would say 4 pints is nothing.

Essentially I agree with this statement.

I know plenty of more heavy drinkers then me, but that doesn't make me a lightweight?If 4 pints 'pissed' is not being a lightweight as a man then what is? 2 pints? 1 pint?

If I wanted to spend less money and get pissed I'd just get a litre of vodka. It's to do with just casually drinking cans/beers with the lads. There's nothing worse then somebody trying to keep up and then being so pissed and getting refused when heading out cause they just didn't stop drinking.

You know drinking isn't a competition yeah? That whole post just sums the whole thing up for me. Cringeworthy from start to finish

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

amacachi wrote: »
    Also 90% said their parents' alcohol use has no effect on them, 9% said it had a hugely negative effect leaving only 1% to say somewhat negative. Odd result there too.

Do you know whats funny about this aswell? An Acoholic or Alcoholic parents are not going to stop drinking with higher prices, and if they need to spend more money on drink, then that means less money to buy food to feed kids or whatever, then you will get the alcoholics who will start stealing alcohol/robbing people just so they can fund the habbit.
    Not all will be this bad obviously, but I don't see how this "solution" will do anything.
    I'd love to know if Ms. Shorthall herself drinks, wouldn't suprise me if she was teetotal, some teetotallers seem to have a huge negative attitute towards Alcohol. I don't smoke, and I do think its harmful, but I don't go around saying the price should be increased, or cigarettes should be banned.
    Some people drink, many people get drunk in a pub (I actually drink slower at home than in a pub) and are responsible with off license drink. Why target that specifically, ironically arn't pubs not meant to serve a drunk person, I've never been refused a 5th or subsequent pint before!

Nick

Regarding this part of your post. How is it shameful to spend money how you wish ? People would spend money on Video games/Consoles that others would say is wasteful as you just sit in all day playing them. Others go out drinking in the pub to watch matches when there on, but that somehow that's shameful?

You know drinking isn't a competition yeah? That whole post just sums the whole thing up for me. Cringeworthy from start to finish

Did I state anywere in my post that drinking was a competition? I clearly stated that people should know there limits. I said that it wasn't about getting pissed it was about having casually drinks with the lads.

There's always going to be lightweights as I said before 4 pints is light in most peoples eyes even on this thread.

Regarding this part of your post. How is it shameful to spend money how you wish ? People would spend money on Video games/Consoles that others would say is wasteful as you just sit in all day playing them. Others go out drinking in the pub to watch matches when there on, but that somehow that's shameful?

Give us your percentage of booze money to income there

How so? I don't think that he was inferring that it's a competition just stating that to most people 4 pints is not exactly synonymous with being hammered, and to be honest, whilst I couldn't care less what anyone elses limits are, almost everyone I know would consider 4 pints nothing relative to actually being drunk. It's nothing to do whatsoever with any bragging rights as you've inferred, just a simple statement based on his experience which I would also echo.

When I drink, I drink as much as I want, not what anyone else wants me to drink, not based on anything else another individual may drink, just me, myself, for my own enjoyment and particular mood. And at that, I still maintain that for most people, 4 pints does certainly not equate to being drunk. It doesn't mean that I have a problem towards those that are drunk on 4 pints, it's just a reflection on the general opinion from my experience. I've already, out of curiosity, asked several people about it and they've all pretty much agreed that 4 pints certainly is not an amount they'd consider approaching 'drunk.' It's just an independant observation, so relax.

Give us your percentage of booze money to income there

It varies. I'll put it this way, went away on Friday to Liverpool until Sunday.

Brought 250sterling. Taking away abit of travel money for train and taxi's etc. We'll say that left with around 210. Then some money for food etc, we'll say 190. Which was spent on alot of drink and a few lap dances.

And honestly mate, it was worth every penny as it was the best weekend of my life.

It varies. I'll put it this way, went away on Friday to Liverpool until Sunday.

Brought 250sterling. Taking away abit of travel money for train and taxi's etc. We'll say that left with around 210. Then some money for food etc, we'll say 190. Which was spent on alot of drink and a few lap dances.

And honestly mate, it was worth every penny as it was the best weekend of my life.

So without getting drunk it wouldn't have been any good then? Do you think you might have a dependency on booze in a social setting then? What is it? Low self confidence? Poor social skills?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

yoyo wrote: »
    Do you know whats funny about this aswell? An Acoholic or Alcoholic parents are not going to stop drinking with higher prices, and if they need to spend more money on drink, then that means less money to buy food to feed kids or whatever, then you will get the alcoholics who will start stealing alcohol/robbing people just so they can fund the habbit.
    Not all will be this bad obviously, but I don't see how this "solution" will do anything.
    I'd love to know if Ms. Shorthall herself drinks, wouldn't suprise me if she was teetotal, some teetotallers seem to have a huge negative attitute towards Alcohol. I don't smoke, and I do think its harmful, but I don't go around saying the price should be increased, or cigarettes should be banned.
    Some people drink, many people get drunk in a pub (I actually drink slower at home than in a pub) and are responsible with off license drink. Why target that specifically, ironically arn't pubs not meant to serve a drunk person, I've never been refused a 5th or subsequent pint before!

Nick

Don't be silly, problem drinkers will be the ones who would cut back first. :pac:

Advertisement