Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 pints of beer = "hazardous drinking" now...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

The thought of living somewhere where no one is up for the craic and going out and getting polluted is rather depressing.

plenty of great craic over here, they've just figured out you don't need to be absolutely shìtfaced to have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Goose81 wrote: »
    Ah, the life and soul of the party has arrived.How are you,was the September star wars convention as good as last years?

this typifies the attitude you get everywhere in ireland. people who are completely and utterly unable to function socially, or have fun, without being drunk. and it goes to the extent where they abuse anyone who doesnt buy into that mentality, usually rolling out the "dry shìte" line, or one similar to the above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Preferring to think it's a disease, does not actually make it a disease. I never implied it's not a serious condition, just that it isn't actually a clinical disease in diagnostic terms. The research will agree with this view.

Now I am no Doctor, but I have done enough research on the matter to state confidently that it isn't actually a disease. Ask your GP. If he is half reputable, he will tell you the same.

Good way of sussing if a doctor is simply a pharma shilll, or is actually a quality practitioner. Anybody in this capacity who tells you otherwise probably should not have recieved a medical degree.

I understand that it's not a "disease" in the clinical sense of the word...
    It's a defect of the brain caused either by a genetic trait (as yet indetermined) or by cultural or social factors or possibly a combination of both. It's a self inflicted compulsion... and for the unlucky few the more they inflict the more they're compulsed and so the more they inflict...vicious circle. There are no other known "diseases" that compel the organism to self destruct in such a way, except those psychological conditions that contribute to self harm or suicide.

In the classical sense of the word, it is a disease...dis-ease, not at ease. It's semantics. For sufferers or their families it is much easier for those with more knowledge of the affliction to describe it in mundane terms rather than blaming A) the alcoholic or B) family members or loved ones or indeed C) the alcohol or society in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheyKnowMyIP

Wertz wrote: »
    It's a defect of the brain

I'm sorry, but no. There is no evidence whatsoever to support this claim. You could say there are genetic associations alright, but this does not mean there is a "drunk" gene that causes a brain defect resulting in a compulsion to drink. At least we haven't found one yet. I will leave the Geneticists up to this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

...and not a defect in the classical sense of a bit missing or something that shows on an PET...more a very slight imbalance or a few more or a certain type of receptor or other such finely balanced chemistry. Most complex thing in the universe, after all.

What makes 10 people go out for a drink some day and one of them ending up feeling compelled to do it to the detriment of their health and family life for most of the rest of their lives? Is it an acquired deficiency or a self fulfilling prophecy?
    There's something in the manner of a drunk alcoholic that differs from the demeanour of a drunk non-alcoholic...it's very subtle, but it's perceptible...
    If the potential alcoholic never had a drink they'd never be one...but the millions of people who do drink and never have the problem of complusion and harmful dependence or addiction are not potential alcoholics...not even the fools many of whom are evident on this thread that aren't one but not for the want of seemingly trying to become one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My son thinks I'm funny after four pints only because up until the third pint I can knock him out as a sniper in Call of Duty. Somehow, after the fourth pint, there's dogs and some sort of helicopter and care packages....

He's not too bad for a three year old. But, not - there's not a drinking problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Kanoe wrote: »
    Its called mutual respect.

From the way you describe it, it's your daughter taking the piss. Bet she can't believe how lucky she is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Did I state anywere in my post that drinking was a competition? I clearly stated that people should know there limits. I said that it wasn't about getting pissed it was about having casually drinks with the lads.

There's always going to be lightweights as I said before 4 pints is light in most peoples eyes even on this thread.

No wonder the country's in the state it's in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I love drinking.

syklops wrote: »
    I
    In my experience and I have grown up and lived with them, and been out with them and can tell you there is more than one type of alcoholic.

There is the alco who drinks every night but does not get drunk.
    There is the alco who drinks and gets drunk every night.
    There is the alco who goes out once a week but gets paralytic when he does.
    There is the alco who drinks very rarely(Christmas etc.) but when he does, he gets very drunk every time
    There is the alco who only ever got drunk once or twice in their life but know that another drop passing their lips and they will get drunk again.

These people are not alcoholics imo, sound like 3 different but pretty normal people.

If everyone who goes out and gets locked once or twice a week was an alcoholic then more than half the country would be an alcoholic and in reality they are not. Just people up for a good night out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Four pints only loosens the elbow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

They'd be slagged no doubt for being 'pissed' on 4 pints. The term pissed in my eyes is puking there guts up and not knowing whats going on. And yes, if someone is like that at 4 pints I would have the craic and slag them, but if someone was like that at 22 pints(Example of number) there is more reason for it to happen. But at 4? I don't know anyone who gets that bad on 4 who is a regular drinker.

The thought of living somewhere where no one is up for the craic and going out and getting polluted is rather depressing.

These are two very depressing comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Goose81 wrote: »
    Preaching about alcohol consumption by doctors and non drinkers is just another case of political correctness gone mad.

A husband and wife sit down two Thursdays during the month while the kids are in bed. They flick on a film, he has 4 cans and she has a half a bottle of wine, they are now unfit parents and their drinking is at a hazardous level.

Normal people will be absolutely fine, unless you are Mr. Incognito and his other half, threatening to launch the kids out the window and swinging out of the walls because they are pissed after 4 cans.

FFS, these people need to cop the **** on.

what do you think political correctness means? Ill give you a clue: youre wrong.

reprazant wrote: »
    These are two very depressing comments.

In your opinion of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

The reason most of the people on boards think 4 pints is hazardous drinking is simple.
    A large majority of boards dwellers are billy no mate computer programmers and such. While the rest of us played sport, went to nightclubs and chased gurls they were locked in their rooms glued to a computer screen.
    They are socially awkward and would never have felt comfortable around groups of people. They would associate the pub and drinking with being left out and socially isolated. The pub and drink reminds them of their shyness and oddness so they associate alcohol with their problems.
    The vast vast majority of people in Ireland consume alcohol in a sensible manner. Trying to convince these clowns of the fact is a waste of time because enjoyment, good company and alcohol cannot co exist.
    Steve Jobs is their idol for Christ sake and that freak ate only apples for weeks on end.
    Done him good.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

The report in the OP is just another bit of vague bullsh!t, if after four pints once a month you're children are 'at risk' it's a wonder the graveyards aren't full of the children of people that have 8 pints once a week.

I agree the drinking culture is a bit much in Ireland, that is evident on a saturday night when clubs finish up but come on, having a few pints after work or down the local at the weekend puts our kids at risk, that is just ridiculous. Although according to this questionaire I don't know many non-alcoholics ;)

http://westbalto.a-1associates.com/INFO%20LIST/20Questions.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Rawhead wrote: »
    The reason most of the people on boards think 4 pints is hazardous drinking is simple.
    A large majority of boards dwellers are billy no mate computer programmers and such. While the rest of us played sport, went to nightclubs and chased gurls they were locked in their rooms glued to a computer screen.
    They are socially awkward and would never have felt comfortable around groups of people. They would associate the pub and drinking with being left out and socially isolated. The pub and drink reminds them of their shyness and oddness so they associate alcohol with their problems.
    The vast vast majority of people in Ireland consume alcohol in a sensible manner. Trying to convince these clowns of the fact is a waste of time because enjoyment, good company and alcohol cannot co exist.
    Steve Jobs is their idol for Christ sake and that freak ate only apples for weeks on end.
    Done him good.

What a childish, ridiculous comment. This sounds like something a 12-year old would say.
    Billy no mates!? Really!?

You say that most people on Boards are like that, therefore logically you probably are one of these people, being on Boards yourself.

Can you not accept that some people in this country don't buy into our drinking culture, which is one of the biggest things wrong with this country?

You don't even have to be a tee-totaller to believe that getting blind drunk regularly is not an enjoyable thing to do. Some people can enjoy a few drinks and even get a little tipsy and still enjoy themselves.

In fact, I'd be more likely to consider a heavy drinker to be socially awkward: if they're such well-adjusted people, why do they have to drink so much to enjoy themselves?

And I don't know if it was the apples that did it, but something did Steve Jobs good as he was an incredibly wealthy genius.
    Though if he had got paralytic a few times a week he probably wouldn't have got pancreatic cancer!

Gods, the childish attitude towards drinking and people who are sensible about drinking in this country is quite sad and frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

In fact, I'd be more likely to consider a heavy drinker to be socially awkward: if they're such well-adjusted people, why do they have to drink so much to enjoy themselves?

Speaking for myself, before I flowered into the amazing person that I am now, I used to get pissed very quickly to cover for the nerves I had.

I don't see having 4 pints every now and then (I don't go out that much any more, and drink less when I do) as being a huge problem personally, but I do think it is a conversation that is reasonable to have, about what constitutes heavy\dangerous drinking.

Can you not accept that some people in this country don't buy into our drinking culture, which is one of the biggest things wrong with this country?

I dont think the drinking culture is something wrong with the country at all its one of the things people love about the country, be they visitors or people who live here. Its one of the things that makes Ireland known all over the world for the place to go if you want to have a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Done him good.

Banned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

It's the likes of IDIOTS like Roisin Shorthall that has this country in the absolute state that it's in.

If she wants to do something about excess alcohol consumption damaging children of parents that drink too much, let her start with the junkie dipso's in town that you can see any hour of any day wandering around the city centre holding cans of beer in their hands in broad daylight while pushing their children around in buggies.

The real agenda here is nothing to do with child safety whatsoever, the real agenda is about allowing publicans to keep their prices artifically high, thereby distorting market competition.

Every other industry, trade and business in this country has had to seriously lower margins to retain market share, OR ELSE CLOSE! But 3 years into this recession, a pint is the same price that it was back in 2006 which was just under 5 Euro, pubs closing all over the place but very few actually reducing any prices, 3 YEARS INTO A RECESSION?!?!?!?

I dont think the drinking culture is something wrong with the country at all its one of the things people love about the country, be they visitors or people who live here. Its one of the things that makes Ireland known all over the world for the place to go if you want to have a good time.

Having a drinking culture is fine, but you can find healthier ones on the continent.

But I personally think we go much too far.
    I know so many people who deliberately set out to get so drunk that they're sick and can't remember what happened the next day.
    And I'm glad I've never had to visit A & E.

Even disregarding all the other consequences, it's physically very unhealthy.

Drinking is fine, but too many people in this country just can't control themselves with it.
    And I'm not talking about people who are clearly alcoholics: what I have a problem with is not so much the drinking culture, it's that it's an everyday thing that most people partake in.

And the ones who don't question it and laugh at people who don't go to extremes with drink too really scare me.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Speaking for myself, before I flowered into the amazing person that I am now, I used to get pissed very quickly to cover for the nerves I had.

I don't see having 4 pints every now and then (I don't go out that much any more, and drink less when I do) as being a huge problem personally, but I do think it is a conversation that is reasonable to have, about what constitutes heavy\dangerous drinking.

I agree that's definitely a reason lots of people would drink heavily.
    There's probably lots of reasons why people drink heavily.

I just hate when posts like the one I was replying to tar all drinkers and non-drinkers with the same brush, basicall saying "drinkers are cool, non-heavy drinkers are geeks!"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The real agenda here is nothing to do with child safety whatsoever, the real agenda is about allowing publicans to keep their prices artifically high, thereby distorting market competition.
    More to the point the agenda here is the usual government shíte. Release some BS paper around 3 weeks before some equally daft legislation comes in. That way Joe Soap goes "ah yea, shure didn't I see some science stuff about that recently and shure tis for our own good" and goes along with it. Though this time around I reckon it's a shout out for a big tax hike on booze as part of our "austerity measures".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Having a drinking culture is fine, but you can find healthier ones on the continent.

But I personally think we go much too far.
    I know so many people who deliberately set out to get so drunk that they're sick and can't remember what happened the next day.
    And I'm glad I've never had to visit A & E.

Even disregarding all the other consequences, it's physically very unhealthy.

Drinking is fine, but too many people in this country just can't control themselves with it.
    And I'm not talking about people who are clearly alcoholics: what I have a problem with is not so much the drinking culture, it's that it's an everyday thing that most people partake in.

And the ones who don't question it and laugh at people who don't go to extremes with drink too really scare me.

See I have no time at all for the "continental style" of drinking. I hate drinking with food for instance as the drink spoils the food and the food spoils the drink imo. Eat a big feed and then start drinking is the way I like to do it. My friends from the continent are as happy drinking double vodka and red bulls with me at 2am as they are drinking wine with dinner too btw.

On the topic of it being an everyday thing, depends on age I suppose but for most people its not drinking everyday. People tend to go out less, especially during the week when they get older too. I have a good drink on average once or twice a week, sometimes 3 times per week, thurs and sat or thurs, fri and sat or just sat. (not including xmas etc when your out nearly everyday). Might go for a few earlier in the week to watch a match etc or on a sunday afternoon for a game, depends on the week.

There would be the odd weekend of pure drinking all weekend thrown in when friends are visiting or visiting friends, trips away etc and there would be an odd week when Id be saving money or doing something else and I wouldn't touch a drop all week.

Now I'm doing this in my mid 20's, but cant see myself going out nearly as much in 10 years so I intend to enjoy it while I can.

Done him good.

Sweeping generalisations ahoy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

This thread is making me thirsty

bandit197 wrote: »
    This thread is making me thirsty

Damn right! Roll on tomorrow evening!

I've been drinking since 1987 & a lot more in the last 10 or 12 years. Yeah, I've had some great nights out but I really wish I could turn back the clock. A lot of **** things have occured on the booze and of course, it is my fault but I would never glamourise it. 4 pints will have me feeling not clever in the morning and lighter of pocket in these times of austerity. Also, the organs can't take the load anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Every week I typically head out on a Saturday and have about 4-5 pints and then 4-8 vodkas and whatever. I'd be fairly well along but I wouldn't consider myself shítfaced, I never get into a state where I can't walk in a straight line or the likes.

However i don't like doing it, I really don't. I enjoy it whilst its happening maybe for about 1-2 hours at the start, then I just buy more and more to make the good feeling last when in fact it just makes my wallet lighter and makes me enjoy the night no more.

I really only do it because I work so hard during the week and then everyone else goes out and drinks the head of themselves too. But its that culture of going on the piss that I really wish didn't exist. Everyone else does it so its fine. Its not fine, it can't be good for you to drink what I drink and what most other people drink, every single week.

Its a catch 22, head out on the piss, or sit at home by yourself whilst everyone else enjoys themselves. Go out and don't drink you say? Nothing worse than being around a bunch of drinkers whilst sober. I really do think Ireland and the UK are the exception to most places around the world, drinking has got out of hand and 4 pints more than once a week probably is excessive to be honest.

Advertisement