Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 pints of beer = "hazardous drinking" now...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

There are few things more boring in life than listening to someone telling you what they dreamt about last night. Listening to someone recount how much they can drink is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Well I'll be boring but concise!
    4-5 shots whiskey with lots of mixer
    2- pints tipsy
    4-5 drunk

Bottle of wine, mumbling.

/concise

I am not scared by this whole you're a danger to your children.
    We are becoming so over sensitive, doing ridiculous things to protect our children, including never letting them outside or walk anywhere.

But the scariest thing about this is you are the danger, my arsé you're only a danger if you have underlying problems or you have gone far past the point of talking to someone or calling someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Goose81 wrote: »
    Ah, the life and soul of the party has arrived.How are you,was the September star wars convention as good as last years?

You guys are weird.

I never said I didnt drink... I never said i didnt approve of drinking 4 pints. I do it (sometimes!) and I do with other people who also do it. In ever said anything about alcohol consumption.

I just said drinking four pints of sugary carbs isnt going to do you any good. Totally apart from alcohol right? I mean physically. Drink shots of tequila for all i give a **** about your brain.

Imagine drinking four pints of Ribena, or pepsi. Or orange juce. Even four pints of water and you may get the runs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

InTheTrees wrote: »
    You guys are weird.

I never said I didnt drink... I never said i didnt approve of drinking 4 pints. I do it (sometimes!) and I do with other people who also do it. In ever said anything about alcohol consumption.

I just said drinking four pints of sugary carbs isnt going to do you any good. Totally apart from alcohol right? I mean physically. Drink shots of tequila for all i give a **** about your brain.

Imagine drinking four pints of Ribena, or pepsi. Or orange juce. Even four pints of water and you may get the runs...

alcohol is bad for you? wow, you do learn something every day

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I just said drinking four pints of sugary carbs isnt going to do you any good. Totally apart from alcohol right?

Typical beer is near enough sugar free. Most of the carbs in beer are not sugars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm going out tonight and I intend to get thoroughly sh!tfaced. Just though you'd all like to know.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Typical beer is near enough sugar free. Most of the carbs in beer are not sugars.

I've never paid much attention... so what is that makes the stomachs of beer drinkers look like footballs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

MadYaker wrote: »
    I just thought you'd all like to know that I'm going out tonight and I intend to get thoroughly sh!tfaced. Just though you'd all like to know.

I'll probably be getting my fix tonight as well

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I've never paid much attention... so what is that makes the stomachs of beer drinkers look like footballs?

'Beer belly' is a misnomer. Many non-beer drinkers have bellies. It's down to excessive caloric intake.

InTheTrees wrote:
    so what is that makes the stomachs of beer drinkers look like footballs?
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    It's down to excessive caloric intake.

I'll stick to whiskey...

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I never understood how the lads I go out with could down 10-12 pints in a night. Not because of the alcohol content, but purely because that is a hell of a lot of liquid!!

I can drink like a fish the odd night myself, but I drink bottles/spirits/ with a mixer/wine-not near as much physical liquid in total aside from alcohol content.

That said, they can do it and other than a murky head the next morning it doesnt do em much harm (long term effects aside obviously). We're all adults, we know its not exactly good for us, but same as with smoking its nobody elses business what we choose to do to our bodies. Im a bit sick of all the articles telling us how much is good/bad etc for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

four pints is a below average session to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Population of Ireland: 4.6 million (2011)

Age Breakdown of the population of Ireland:

0–14 years: 20.4% (male: 448,333 female: 418,476) -866,809 (2006)
    15–64 years: 68.6% (male: 1,400,222 female: 1,398,194) (2006)
    65 years and over: 11.0% (male: 207,095 female: 260,831) (2008)

Children at Risk: 587,000 or 68% or all children in the Republic.

Dr Ann Hope, who carried out the research, said the definition of hazardous drinking might surprise many people.

"Hazardous drinking is defined as drinking four or more pints of beer at a session. 'Regular' means at least once a month, according to the EU and WHO," she said.

Someone is trying to get her face on television

"Hazardous drinking is defined as drinking four or more pints of beer at a session. 'Regular' means at least once a month, according to the EU and WHO," she said.[/I]

yeah and whens the last time the EU and WHO were invited to a party

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

There are few things more boring in life than listening to someone telling you what they dreamt about last night. Listening to someone recount how much they can drink is one of them.

Listening to some people go on about how much "fun" they are without drink is another.

I'm pissed after four pints.

If you are shocked at this you may need to examine your own drinking habits

Maybe you should examine your metabolism to see if there's something wrong or if you have pre-existing liver damage, because if you're an adult male and you're falling around the place after 4 pints there's something awry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Turpentine wrote: »
    Maybe you should examine your metabolism to see if there's something wrong or if you have pre-existing liver damage, because if you're an adult male and you're falling around the place after 4 pints there's something awry.

some people just get drunk quick... there's nights when I'm well tipsy after four and nights when i could drink 8 or 9 and be fine...

I have a mate who's pissed on a pint..

RichieC wrote: »
    some people just get drunk quick... there's nights when I'm well tipsy after four and nights when i could drink 8 or 9 and be fine...

I have a mate who's pissed on a pint..

While there are many different factors involved in how quickly one gets drunk, an adult male with a full stomach should be able to drink 4 pints over say, 3-4 hours, without becoming inebriated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

While there are many different factors involved in how quickly one gets drunk, an adult male with a full stomach should be able to drink 4 pints over say, 3-4 hours, with becoming inebriated.

4 pints in four hours? Do you have a miniature mouth/throat?

L'prof wrote: »
    4 pints in four hours? Do you have a miniature mouth/throat?

I said 3-4 hours, and I'm using that scale for someone who may not be a regular drinker. Not everyone likes to pound the pints down them and I don't think it's unrealistic for someone who doesn't drink that much to space a pint over 45 minutes.

• Advertisement

I said 3-4 hours, and I'm using that scale for someone who may not be a regular drinker. Not everyone likes to pound the pints down them and I don't think it's unrealistic for someone who doesn't drink that much to space a pint over 45 minutes.

exactly. the researcher says 4 pints in one session. average night out in the pub would be 3 to 4 hours, so by the end of that youve already metabolised 2 pints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

he never said he was falling around the place

he just said he was drunk after 4 pints

the falling around comes long after youre drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Helix wrote: »
    he never said he was falling around the place

he just said he was drunk after 4 pints

the falling around comes long after youre drunk

He said he was pissed.

yeah, ie drunk

falling around the place is when youre well beyond that

yeah, ie drunk

falling around the place is when youre well beyond that

So what is the name of falling all over the place and not knowing what the fúck is going on?

I would of thought it would went in this order : Tipsy,drunk,pissed

this all comes back to what i said yesterday, irish people havent a breeze what drunk means. paralytic is well, well, well beyond drunk

when it starts affecting your personality and mood in any way, you're drunk. that would be 4 pints for the majority of people

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

So what is the name of falling all over the place and not knowing what the fúck is going on?

I would of thought it would went in this order : Tipsy,drunk,pissed

Slaughtered, locked, langered, very drunk, etc.

"Pissed" is a general term, like "drunk," and most men would at least be technically a bit drunk after four pints, whether they like to admit it or not.

when it starts affecting your personality and mood in any way, you're drunk.

The thoughts of going out drinking with the lads would put me in a good mood. Does that mean I'm drunk? Considering the drink has changed my mood although I havn't even drank it yet...

If the thought of going out With your mates to drink has more of an effect on you than the thought of just going out with your mates without the gargle, you've most likely got some form of dependency on alcohol

• Advertisement

If the thought of going out With your mates to drink has more of an effect on you than the thought of just going out with your mates without the gargle, you've most likely got some form of dependency on alcohol

Well it depends what we're doing. If were going to play a game a football and I look forward to that as it changes my mood. Does that make me a footaholic?

The argument your stating that is if somebody is looking forward to going out drinking with there mates they have a dependency on alcohol ? Crazy! Can people not just go out for drinks and enjoy them without being somewhat an alcoholic?

My cousin would drink around 2L of coke a day. He doesn't drink alcohol, and if he was to go to a pub he'd have more Coke. Yet because it's not as addictive as alcohol and doesn't effect how he acts, its socially acceptable? Yet there's an extremely high amount of sugar in that, but that's ok it seems, as it's not alcohol?

Oh what a strange world!

Advertisement