Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop not recognising hard disk?

• 08-11-2011 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

hi all,
    sorry if this is in the wrong section but always get confused with this part of the boards site. recently i removed a trojan from my compaq cq61 laptop using avast. upon rebooting the laptop it now suddenly is having problems starting up & just goes through a cycle till it leaves a message on a black screen that the hard disk does not exist. while i've tried multiple restarts & even removing the ram & hard disk the same problem persists. the only thing i'm able to do on the laptop is go into a command prompt screen which i'm led to by the compaq back up program but am clueless what to do here. is there an easy fix [or any fix for that matter] for this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Just a few questions:

Before you removed the virus did you make a system backup/resotre point?

Have you backed up your files?

Are you able to start the PC in safe mode? (normally press f8 a number of times while the PC boots brings you to where you can select this option)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

made a restore point but no option to go into it. after every 3rd to 4th restart i'm given the option of start normally or check files with neither proving fruitful. unable to go into system set up at the beginning by pressing 'esc'. like the fool i am i didn't back up my files. will try the safe mode access via f8 but don't think it will allow me into it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

unable to go into safe mode. there's an option to 'launch startup repair' which does nothing. then there's start normally which loads up to the windows 7 icon & then grounds to a halt which eventually goes to a black screen with a message of boot device not found.

unable to go into safe mode. there's an option to 'launch startup repair' which does nothing. then there's start normally which loads up to the windows 7 icon & then grounds to a halt which eventually goes to a black screen with a message of boot device not found.
    What I would normally do here is just format the laptop and reinstall the OS but I get the feeling you haven't prepared for that (no offence intended)

I'm sure other people on the forum could recommend programs that may allow you to turn around the situation and allow you to maybe get back your OS but to me it sounds like your OS is corrupted. Spotmau is the only program I would suggest - you can install it onto a USB device, on a separate PC obviously, then try boot to the usb when you startup the broken PC - you can repair windows installations with it and do a large amount of other tweaks.

One last thing would be to pop in the recovery CD and see if you can boot to that but I'm not too sure how well that'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ronoc75

If your laptop does not recognise the hard disk then it's most likely that the hard disk has failed. In this case a reinstall will not work, you will need to replace the hard drive and then reinstall windows.

• Advertisement

ronoc75 wrote: »
    If your laptop does not recognise the hard disk then it's most likely that the hard disk has failed. In this case a reinstall will not work, you will need to replace the hard drive and then reinstall windows.
    That said it's obv worth trying a reinstall to make fully sure before shelling out on a new HDD

Advertisement