Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fit Attic ladder and flooring companies - "STIRA" type?

• 08-11-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'd like to get a foldable/retractable attic ladder installed and some flooring put down for storage. So can anyone recommend some other companies who can fit one of those attic ladder jobs with a professional finish, I am based in Celbridge, Kildare. What kind of money am I looking at?

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi LiveWire.
    Brooks have them on special offer at the moment. I think about €99 great value. A dood carpenter will be able to fit it. Check your Rafter spacings, The ladder are usually 1200 x 600mm. If trussed roof you can also buy a 1200x550mm. Thats an alternative to co's like Stira.
    NW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

I fitted one in my house a few years back.

The stairs was a bit wider than the trusses alright.

I just cut out a piece of the truss, the length of the stairs, and spliced in a repair beside it using coach bolts.

The stairs fitted straight in the gap.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭whizbang

Stira are still charging 450+extras minimum. still obnoxous. and no insulation.
    theres a few companies advertising 250 for the lot with insulated covers, but i cant recommend any, as i did my own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Cheers for all the feedback, has anyone used Allfix Attic Solutions (Liam Slatter), the lads at Valentineladders recommended him.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

livEwirE wrote: »
    Cheers for all the feedback, has anyone used Allfix Attic Solutions (Liam Slatter), the lads at Valentineladders recommended him.

Hi, realise this is an old thread, but I'm looking for something similar at the moment in the same area. Did you find anyone and are you happy with the results?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Buy a "Dolle" 3 way folding attic ladder kit in a builders providers for 99 euro and get a carpenter to fit for around 100-120 euro.

Theres a few hours work in fitting it,Its not rocket science.

Job done.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

]Buy a "Dolle" 3 way folding attic ladder kit in a builders providers for 99 euro and get a carpenter to fit for around 100-120 euro.

is the 100-120 extra on top off buyin the ladder?

massey265 wrote: »
    ]Buy a "Dolle" 3 way folding attic ladder kit in a builders providers for 99 euro and get a carpenter to fit for around 100-120 euro.

is the 100-120 extra on top off buyin the ladder?

What do you think.......

Do you really think a carpenter will install it for 20 euro??

sorry paddy i thought it was the steel type folding attic ladder that ya just screw to the attic floor you were on about.

sorry paddy i thought it was the steel type folding attic ladder that ya just screw to the attic floor you were on about.

Its still the same with the sliding alloy attic ladder.These are around 55-65 euro in a builders providers

The carpenter still has to cut a hole out of the ceiling,modify and strengthen the ceiling/attic joists,fit the ladder and then also fit the door and the bull nose skirting too.

You are looking at around 100-120 euro for a carpenter to fit any sort of attic ladder.Possibly more,if its an absolute "pig" of a job.

I have both types of attic ladders in my house (3 way folding wooden and 2 piece sliding alloy).

The 3 way wooden ladder is much sturdier,but heavier than the alloy ladder.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Its still the same with the sliding alloy attic ladder.These are around 55-65 euro in a builders providers

The carpenter still has to cut a hole out of the ceiling,modify and strengthen the ceiling/attic joists,fit the ladder and then also fit the door and the bull nose skirting too.

You are looking at around 100-120 euro for a carpenter to fit any sort of attic ladder.Possibly more,if its an absolute "pig" of a job.

I have both types of attic ladders in my house (3 way folding wooden and 2 piece sliding alloy).

The 3 way wooden ladder is much sturdier,but heavier than the alloy ladder.

Is that spray foam insulation a good job in the roof space?

Is that spray foam insulation a good job in the roof space?

It sure is.Bio Foam 800 Open Cell.

Its good stuff.:)

Anyway,for either type of ladder,a carpenter will charge you at least 100 euro it for you.There is a bit of work to be done and some materials to be bought too (bull nose skirting,wooden noggins and new joist pieces).

It sure is.Bio Foam 800 Open Cell.

Its good stuff.:)

It looks a good job seals all up,
    is there any ventiation between it and the felt?

It looks a good job seals all up,
    is there any ventiation between it and the felt?

Yes,50mm vent cards.Bio Foam 800 Open Cell is also fully breathable too.

Yes,50mm vent cards.Bio Foam 800 Open Cell is also fully breathable too.

that looks the job what it work out a sq metre with it vented if you dont mind me asking...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

that sliding alloy ladder looks the business as that looks like the ope i have(square) and dont want to lenghten the ope due tp space restriction(ensuite)
    never seen one in a builder providers..who stocks them?

that sliding alloy ladder looks the business as that looks like the ope i have(square) and dont want to lenghten the ope due tp space restriction(ensuite)
    never seen one in a builder providers..who stocks them?

Heaton Buckleys,Smyths,Goodwins,PH Ross and various others.

Ive also seen them in TJ O'Mahonys in Ballymount recently.

that looks the job what it work out a sq metre with it vented if you dont mind me asking...

Lets just say that I stuck a very very good deal with the company involved for posting the pics and showing the instalation process here and on another website too.2 attics were spray foamed and also various floor areas around the house.

It was a case of....."you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours".:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Heaton Buckleys,Smyths,Goodwins,PH Ross and various others.

Ive also seen them in TJ O'Mahonys in Ballymount recently.

just looking at them here in woodies...are they fittable yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭sidewaysdrivin

we got a real deal stira roughly 19 years ago, a spring broke lastyear and they just gave us a new one for free, told us it shouldnt have broke & that was that, build quality is 120%, cannot reccomend them enough... its like anything imo, ya get what ya pay for... buy cheap its not going to be good, buy a stira you'll be still using it in 20+ years.... and their fitting is next to none

• Advertisement

we got a real deal stira roughly 19 years ago, a spring broke lastyear and they just gave us a new one for free, told us it shouldnt have broke & that was that, build quality is 120%, cannot reccomend them enough... its like anything imo, ya get what ya pay for... buy cheap its not going to be good, buy a stira you'll be still using it in 20+ years.... and their fitting is next to none

Thats a very unfounded and unproven statement to make.
    So unleless you buy a stira at a good deal more expense,then iany other make is cheap and no good??

Eh,I dont think so.

Whats the U-Value on you're 20 year old Stira then??????

just looking at them here in woodies...are they fittable yourself?

Depends on how handy and competent you are at DIY.

I wouldnt fit one myself,Id leave to a reputable experienced carpenter who has the experience and knows what hes doing,when it comes to cutting into ceiling/roof joists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I love the quality in the stira one. My neighbour has checked it out. But the supply and fit cost is hard to swallow.

Having said that one for 99 euro with a carpenter charging 120 it bring it up to 220

Where as stira is 450. What kills me about stira now is they are looking for 200 euro for an insulating hood as well.

I am still looking for find a middle road model so to speak but if i dont i will all prob go with stira

I love the quality in the stira one. My neighbour has checked it out. But the supply and fit cost is hard to swallow.

Having said that one for 99 euro with a carpenter charging 120 it bring it up to 220

Where as stira is 450. What kills me about stira now is they are looking for 200 euro for an insulating hood as well.

I am still looking for find a middle road model so to speak but if i dont i will all prob go with stira

I looked at the Stira myself,but couldnt justify or see the point in paying out allmost 450 euro for it.
    The Dolle attic ladder is a very good ladder for the money,its well built and parts (if ever needed) are readily available from the suppliers/stockists in Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

http://www.original.ie/

Iirc the stira doesn't even have a handrail as standard. The one I linked too does as standard

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭sidewaysdrivin

Thats a very unfounded and unproven statement to make.
    So unleless you buy a stira at a good deal more expense,then iany other make is cheap and no good??

Eh,I dont think so.

Whats the U-Value on you're 20 year old Stira then??????

the attic overhead being insulated with 200mm glass woll, cavities pumped with polystyrene, u value is 0.26 for the attic room in total for all external area, its very very hard to get it much lower than that.. would you like to see the ber report?

and i think the quality of a stira has a track record next to none, they stand by their guarintee for quality. will the cheaper one be still there in 20 years, answer is unknown none have a proven record for build quality... will the stira be still there in 20 years.. most definitely

the attic overhead being insulated with 200mm glass woll, cavities pumped with polystyrene, u value is 0.26 for the attic room in total for all external area, its very very hard to get it much lower than that.. would you like to see the ber report?

and i think the quality of a stira has a track record next to none, they stand by their guarintee for quality. will the cheaper one be still there in 20 years, answer is unknown none have a proven record for build quality... will the stira be still there in 20 years.. most definitely

I asked you for the U-Value of the 20 year old Stira attic stairs.

You havent answered me yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

have to agree here...we have ours in about 14yrs and no problems whatsoever. Job done in about 1-2hrs
    Probably one of the best alterations we did to the house since we moved in

If you plan to use it a lot and live in the house long term the return for paying an extra 100 for the stira with the piece of mind of a professional fit its worth going for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Davy wrote: »
    http://www.original.ie/

Iirc the stira doesn't even have a handrail as standard. The one I linked too does as standard

This is a nice one davy. Have you got yours long. I like that they give the 10 year guarantee on the hindges. Cant say better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This is a nice one davy. Have you got yours long. I like that they give the 10 year guarantee on the hindges. Cant say better than that.

About a year now. Very happy with it. Only complaint is one of the black plastic feet cracked. It had slid down, so when I put the weight on it, part of it cracked. I just put it back on with some glue. So if you get one, maybe glue them in place so they cant slide down, and it will prevent this

Advertisement