Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

overwintering bull

• 08-11-2011 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi, Im overwintering a 20 mth old angus bull this year that i bought earlier in yr, just looking for feeding advice etc. as have not overwintered a bull before. I have him left out in a small field beside the slatted-house and he seems content. so far have been feeding him one good wheelbarrow load of good quality silage (about 4 good forkfulls) and 2-3kg of bull nuts,
    i have a pen i could put him in in the shed but people have said bulls do better outside and less chance of injury.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we leave our bull outside- no meal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭barryoc1

I have a Whitehead bull. House him every year since i got him. He was bout 18 months when i got him. Housed about 4 years now. Never had a problem with him housed. He is quiet as a lamb in the house. He loves scratchin though. Would wreck the place scratchin himself if his shed wasnt pretty solid. I just feed him baled silage. I cut back a bit on how much I gave him last winter cause he was very lazy that summer. Over fat i reckon. Was pretty good this summer, despite being still very fat. He is fat as a fool at the moment and will try not to over feed him again this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

An advantage of overwintering a bull indoors is you can feed straw to control weight gain...
    Heavier bulls can get sore feet if they are on hard ground for long periods..

Close as possible to the cows keeps them happier... if thats possible:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

shelter in this field.. does a bull no harm i think.. puts hair on them.. thickens them..as long as weathers not overly bad..
    just keep him in gd condition..handful of meal do him....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Our bucks are out. If the belly is full the cold won't harm them. Last year we had a bully of an ol cow on the slats, so out with the bull she went!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭raher1

We gave him some vitamins from the vet to make up from the lack of in feed and silage.i leave him with the cows,no shed,take away after calving.

Advertisement