Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a 4 strokes Outboard

Options
  • 08-11-2011 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

In this winter season I am already looking forward to the next one and am contemplating buying a more recent outboard. I have checked on the DD.ie but was wondering if anyone here knew the good workshops where i might find a good deal. I am in Clare/Limerick but can travel.

The ideal would be a 4 stroke between 6 and 15 HP. Still need to measure the back panel of the boat to see if it is over 15 inches so will update this part about the shaft lenght.

Thanks for your input :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

i would be careful about engines on done deal.....why not go to some of the angling or boat shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Totally agree with you that's why I was checking if there was some trustfull dealers or workshops who were selling second hand garantied engines.

Will there be outboards on the galway fly fishing fair this month ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I didn't see any outboards there last year so I doubt it. Try Duffy's in Headford if you're up that way, talk to Danny and he'll not steer you wrong. Best outboard mechanic in the west of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 finlayspub1

zzippy is spot on , duffys in headford is the place to go , avoid buying off the net , second hand 2 stroke would be perfect ,, why 4 stroke?

No mix required ( that's the selling point for me along with the pollution )

more economic on petrol

less noise

supposed to be more reliable ( I haven't seen the proofs of this but ... )

Less pollution ( substantially )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

i live in athlone and we always go to duffys in headford too, for yrs dad has been getting engines there, have a 4 stroke 15hp honda since 2004(its the 2006 model) excellent on fuel economy, only prob sometimes gets is water in the carberator, the tiniest amount will affect the performance, as the filters in it are so fine,apparently,
    i have a 2stroke 15hp yamaha which before the 4strokes were made was one of the most economical around, but next to the honda would cost 4 times more in petrol for a days fishing, put it this way a full day on ree trolling would cost roughly 3.50 to 4 euros with the honda,

Thanks for that Bayliner. I have seen a 15HP honda 2006 model this morning with little hours ( so I was told ) for 1500€ . Good to see you are happy with it. It's a long shaft though, I still need to check the measure of the back panel.

Will give duffy's a call so to see what they have in stock :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭delsalmon

ive a near brand new johnson 6hp 4st shortshaft, bought 3 yrs ago, only done 6 sessions before i sold my boat.cw with external fuel tank with guage. cost 1600, sell for 800, no offers, quick sale

eng2.jpg
    eng9.jpg

delsalmon wrote: »
    ive a near brand new johnson 6hp 4st shortshaft, bought 3 yrs ago, only done 6 sessions before i sold my boat.cw with external fuel tank with guage. cost 1600, sell for 800, no offers, quick sale

eng2.jpg
    eng9.jpg
    Thanks delsalmon, will check the shaft I need and get back to you. Watch your pm tomorrow

Long shaft needed, sorry delsalmon your engine looks very nice.

• Advertisement

I dont have a 4 stroke i have a 2 stroke, what has put me off a 4 stroke in the past was its weight, some of the 4 strokes used to be very heavy, so check the weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I have a 6hp Yamaha 4 stroke, 2005 model, and it weights a lot alright. It's two cylinder as apposed to most of the other 6hp's which are only 1 cylinder. I reckon it weighs nearly twice that of the old 2 stroke Evinrude I had before it. It's can really be a struggle to get it out of the boot of the car.

Yes I know. I had a 4 stroke 15 hp back in france. Not super convenient but I'm aware of the problem

Like ironbluedun I have a 2-stroke as I don't leave it on the boat, the weight would be too much. But if you're towing the boat and can leave the engine on then its not so much of an issue. Just don't leave the engine on an unattended boat on the lake, been a lot of engine thefts over the last few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I would ring http://floodmarine.co.uk/
    They are excellant to deal with.

Not a fan of four strokes, too heavy,too slow and a 2 stroke is a lot more bullet proof. Pollution shouldnt be a factor with the more modern 2 strokes. A yamaha 2 stroke circa 2003 is a pretty clean engine.

i thought that you could not buy any new 2 strokes any more?
    anyway a bit off topic but i suppose with the developments in modern hi-tec lightweight batteries we will be looking at bigger more powerful electric engines to rival the petrol ones in the not too distant future.
    engines like the torquedo (spelling) for example.

You cant buy them new any more in Europe but there are some good condition second hands around.
    Electrics will never rival petrol engines in our lifetimes. Battery technology needs a massive improvement for it to happen, they need to be able to mass produce carbon nano tubes cheaply then we might see some innovation in battery's

stylie wrote: »
    You cant buy them new any more in Europe but there are some good condition second hands around.
    Electrics will never rival petrol engines in our lifetimes. Battery technology needs a massive improvement for it to happen, they need to be able to mass produce carbon nano tubes cheaply then we might see some innovation in battery's

i thought that torquedo electric engines had an electric engine up to 8hp, last time i looked they had anyway, must have another look at their site....depending upon age, lol, it might be just before the end of our lifetimes.....but i take your point ;)

have a look at this, maybe they work out expensive, i dont know.

http://www.torqeedo.com/en/hn/home.html

have a look at this
    http://www.apolloduck.ie/feature.phtml?id=225458

I would love to see how an 8hp electric with a full charge stacks up against a 2 stroke 8hp with the standard 10l fuel tank. Wouldn't want to start running out of power 2 miles out with a wave picking up at the end of a day.

Also that's a lot of electric components in an open boat.

Someone mentioned fuel efficiency between the 2 stroke and 4's, while there is a significant difference in the lower horsepower, large horsepower 2 strokes are very efficient and economic. I was using 5l a day with my 15hp as opposed to 8-9l with my 8hp with a lot more water covered with the 15hp

got in touch with Duffy's and paying them a visit on saturday to see a Honda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

they're a serious weight alright, we keep ours on boat all the time, only comes off once a yr for service:), and no dont leave boat on lake, in boat shed at home when not fishing:),

Engine is at home ! Nice honda 8 hp, 4 stroke l/s 4-5 years old running like a coucou clock. Will try to post pics tomorrow. they told me in duffy's I was lucky with the timing as there aren't many good quality second hand on the market due to very few brand new engine sold against trade in.

Thanks for your help ! I can't wait to give it a run !

BoarHunter wrote: »
    Engine is at home ! Nice honda 8 hp, 4 stroke l/s 4-5 years old running like a coucou clock. Will try to post pics tomorrow. they told me in duffy's I was lucky with the timing as there aren't many good quality second hand on the market due to very few brand new engine sold against trade in.

Thanks for your help ! I can't wait to give it a run !

Nice one, knew you'd be looked after there. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 finlayspub1

nice one boarhunter , duffys offer an excellent service and aftersales also , cant recommend them highly enough

Advertisement