Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seeing spirits?

Options
  • 08-11-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,
    Not sure where to post this thread so sorry if its in the wrong place!
    A member of my family recently passed away. A few days later I was in bed sleeping when at 3am I woke up to find myself floating in the bed. By the time my eyes had opened I was back lying on my bed my arms were down by my side and I was lying on my back (which I never usually do). When my eyes were opening I saw the brightest white light in my dark bedroom. Last night I went to bed in my pitch black bedroom and I could see a small circular object flying around my room. It was white/glittering in colour. I got up and checked that there was no light getting in my bedroom window which there wasn't. The circle kept moving around and then it burst into a butterfly. I ended up sleeping with the light on because it freaked me out so much. what is it? help pls!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

wow. scary, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

lolliemc wrote: »
    Hi all,
    A member of my family recently passed away.

Sorry to hear that
    A few days later I was in bed sleeping when at 3am I woke up to find myself floating in the bed. By the time my eyes had opened I was back lying on my bed my arms were down by my side and I was lying on my back (which I never usually do).

If you were lyingo on the bed when you opened your eyes then I assume you had the sensation of floating between the few milliseconds between waking and opening your eyes. You might not have actually been floating though. As for lying on your back - im sure if you set up a camera and recorded yourself asleep, you'd probably be amazed at the number of different positions you sleep in over the course of a night.

When my eyes were opening I saw the brightest white light in my dark bedroom. Last night I went to bed in my pitch black bedroom and I could see a small circular object flying around my room. It was white/glittering in colour. I got up and checked that there was no light getting in my bedroom window which there wasn't. The circle kept moving around and then it burst into a butterfly. I ended up sleeping with the light on because it freaked me out so much. what is it? help pls!!

I would say this was just a butterfly. whatever way it worked out, you only saw it properly when you saw the butterfly

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lolliemc

It was a white glittering image of a butterfly but there wasnt an actual butterfly in my room

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lolliemc

david75 wrote: »
    wow. scary, no?

yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

It was a white glittering image of a butterfly but there wasnt an actual butterfly in my room

I would honestly say its an artifact from just after waking .... freaky yes, but something to worry about? ... no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

When myself and my wife first moved into this house we had some freaky stuff happen. The room im typing this from used too be our bedroom when we first moved in. The room was kind of off-red black and cream color (from last owners freaky I konw) and we always got a weird feeling from the room you know the kind where your hair stands up and you goose pimples.

Few nights in a row my wife told me each night she felt like something was shaking her awake. Always felt pressure on a mole on her shoulder. She saw doc about this n got it removed. the shaking stopped. But previous to this the wife told me one morning the previous night when she was awake after this shaking thing she said I sat bolt upright, looked to her direction but to her front and told " the bitch to leave my wife alone" then went back asleep. I dont remember doing this up she said I did.

We moved out of the room now sitting room painted it and its ok now. Sometimes we get a smell of stale smoke in a certain part of the house no before this part and no after its right in front of bathroom door.

Freaky thing is tho is that where we smell the stale smoke thats where the original fireplace used to be and 2 old men died in this house years and years ago :eek:. As for the shaking we think it was her grandmother as she died in the house 2 doors down when my wife was a child.

If you dont have goose pimples I can tell you I do.:eek: This is not a fake story btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just on the topic of dream artifacts after waking: As I was waking up from a doze the other morning I heard a man's voice saying "Here", it sounded like the person was right beside me. It could have been very freaky and weirded me out if I hadn't remembered that I'd been dreaming about someone handing me a cup of tea.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,249 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've had similar experiences to all of the above and can honestly say its sleep paralysis and nothing more. Nothing to be worried about, happens to lots of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Hi all,
    A member of my family recently passed away. A few days later I was in bed sleeping when at 3am I woke up to find myself floating in the bed. By the time my eyes had opened I was back lying on my bed my arms were down by my side and I was lying on my back (which I never usually do). When my eyes were opening I saw the brightest white light in my dark bedroom. Last night I went to bed in my pitch black bedroom and I could see a small circular object flying around my room. It was white/glittering in colour. I got up and checked that there was no light getting in my bedroom window which there wasn't. The circle kept moving around and then it burst into a butterfly. I ended up sleeping with the light on because it freaked me out so much. what is it? help pls!!

Mind can play tricks on itself in between being asleep and awake... Last night I woke up and I could swear I saw a group of oriental people behind my wall (like a false mirror)... needless to say they were definitely not there. There isn't even a mirror there... It's an opaque wall.

Next time it happens. Record it. Quickest way to know if it is actually there or all in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

I live in an old house, in fact, parts of it are over 200 years old, closer to 300. It hasn't always been owned by my family (only about 80 years), and I am sure that many people have died in it in the past, and there's nothing there... no bad feelings, no scary stuff, nothing.... the biggest thing we have to worry about when suspecting ghosties, is our imagination. OP, dreams are strange things, and the human mind is still an unknown in terms of what sleep does to it, I would say, it was just you waking up from a deep sleep, perhaps mid-dream, scary yes, but paranormal, I wouldn't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

If I'm on the pc for a whole day, I will start 'seeing' black dots fly past my peripheral now and again. There are natural answers, not supernatural.

Only kids believe in ghosts. BOOOOOO!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭snowserpeant

where i used to work [as a security officer] is definatly freaky.we used to have an old guy working with us,who has since passed away but he said he was on duty 1 night when he saw a dark shadow coming down the stairs and straight pass him.due to his age and the 12 hour shift i assumed he was asleep and dreaming and i thought no more of it.then a few weeks later i had the kettle boil itself,the tv changed station by itself. i also saw a small dark cloud moving across the floor about 3 inches from the ground.it then proceeded to chang into the same dark shadow that my work mate seen that night.we moved out of the building about 2 weeks later [not because of this but the office staff were moving anyway] but it could not come quick enough.this is a true story and the location is the aer lingus tech building in dublin airport.that was back in 2010 and the building is still closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

THe same thing happened to me one night. I had to get out of the bed. I thought I saw something strange at the end of the bed, even though it was pitch black. I walked over slowly to it....I couldn't believe my eyes, there was a type of spirit at the end of the bed....I knew I left it somewhere...my bottle of white spirits...hahahahahah:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I woke up once in the night when I was about 15 to see a white human form hovering near my desk. It scared the poo out of me until I realised that it was my white school shirt gleaming in the small amount of moonlight coming in through my curtains.

I had a glowing, floating orb once too; that turned out to be a cricket ball that one of my brothers had painted with glow-in-the-dark paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Last night I went to bed in my pitch black bedroom and I could see a small circular object flying around my room. It was white/glittering in colour. I got up and checked that there was no light getting in my bedroom window which there wasn't. The circle kept moving around and then it burst into a butterfly. I ended up sleeping with the light on because it freaked me out so much. what is it? help pls!!

did you see this object in your room as soon as you entered, or did it appear as you lay in bed before sleeping, or did it appear during the night after you'd been asleep?

when you say you got up and checked there was no light coming in the window - you were awake at this stage obviously? and after this, while you're awake and standing up in the room, the circle continued moving round your room and burst into a butterfly?

did the object disappear when you eventually turned the light on?

Advertisement