Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get duck for Christmas

Options
  • 08-11-2011 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm looking to make either a duck or goose for our Christmas dinner this year. Can anyone recommend a butcher (preferably south Dublin) where I can get good quality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

mauzouni wrote: »
    I'm looking to make either a duck or goose for our Christmas dinner this year. Can anyone recommend a butcher (preferably south Dublin) where I can get good quality?

I buy a goose every year from Fenelons in Stillorgan. It does cost about
    €60-70 for a small fresh goose, but I am a fan and think it is worth it.

If your budget doesn't stretch that far, I have heard the frozen geese in Lidl are lovely, but I haven't tried one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mauzouni

Thanks a lot for that! I'll check the one in Stillorgan - sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

The butchers in terenure sell everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

+1 to the butchers in Stillorgan. I would add that Donnybrook Fair have duck, goose etc for Christmas as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ennis butcher at the Rialto roundabout has fantastic meats, and gets the most amazing turkeys and hams for Christmas - I'd be surprised if he can't supply duck and/or goose as well. Dunno where he finds his suppliers, but I can't recommend him highly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

mauzouni wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for that! I'll check the one in Stillorgan - sounds good!

Do they have Lidl in Stillorgan? Shirley Nott?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do they have Lidl in Stillorgan? Shirley Nott?
    Opening soon beside the cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

James Whelan Butchers have opened up in the Avoca Food Hall in Monkstown.

Their site have advertised free range Goose for €85, their free range turkey is €60 iveyou an idea on price. Would definitely recommend them for their meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Beware of Duck. There's feck all meat on them so you might need two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Beware of Duck. There's feck all meat on them so you might need two.
    Yeah, if you're planning a dinner - one duck will feed two people max, no more.
    That said, properly roasted, it's to die for and the gallons of fat that runs out makes for awesome roast spuds *drool*. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Buy two ducks for a meal.

FX Buckley on Moore Street in Dublin beside the Ilac Centre.

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/fx-buckley-dublin-2

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

I got a brochure in the door today from Superquinn & they are doing free range goose and duck...I think you would have to order in advance but worth a look,

They always use local reputable suppliers as far as i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Groom! wrote: »
    I got a brochure in the door today from Superquinn & they are doing free range goose.

Must have a gander.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

stovelid wrote: »
    Must have a gander.

:pac:

You've got some neck, crackling a yoke like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mauzouni

Groom! wrote: »
    I got a brochure in the door today from Superquinn & they are doing free range goose and duck...I think you would have to order in advance but worth a look,

They always use local reputable suppliers as far as i know.
    I just checked it out on their website - looks good! Thanks a lot for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

RosieJoe wrote: »
    James Whelan Butchers have opened up in the Avoca Food Hall in Monkstown.

Their site have advertised free range Goose for €85, their free range turkey is €60 iveyou an idea on price. Would definitely recommend them for their meat.

They are actually not open in Avoca in Monkstown yet... I know because I drove down on Sat and was told they wouldn't be open until next week. There website is great though.

Got all our meat there last Xmas and it was delish. Doing the same this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

They are actually not open in Avoca in Monkstown yet... I know because I drove down on Sat and was told they wouldn't be open until next week. There website is great though.

Got all our meat there last Xmas and it was delish. Doing the same this year too.

Oops, sorry! Hope I wasn't the cause of your wasted journey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Get yourself over to the hunting forum and you will probably get them for free;) Fresher than anything you will buy in the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Turducken in James Whelans ;)

Advertisement