Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental nursing

Options
  • 08-11-2011 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi, im just wondering does anyone out there have any advise on whether this is a worth while career path? I am currently self employed in a very different sector and one which is a very unstable and difficult to make a living from. I am interested in dentistry and there seems to be quite a few jobs in dental nursing. There is certificate courses and diplomas in Dublin, which courses would anyone advise are best for a mature student? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

ring around a few local surgeries and ask them if you can sit and observe for a few days to get a feel for it. dentistry is being hit pretty hard by the recession, but a good nurse will always get a job. there's a lot of weeding out being done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 lumjm

thanks, iv been in around dental practices and dental hospital getting various treatments recently and i think id like it..i have a strong interest in the health and disease prevention side rather than cosmetic side. Of course iv no idea how i would find the job on a day to day basis. Its either that or upskill in something similar to my own occupation (course in 3d modelling, graphics etc, which again may not increase job prospects!) Thanks for help anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

there's 2 ways you should think about then.

if you want to do preventative, then you could aim for being a hygienist which you can do after nursing.
    if you want to stay kinda in the field you're in you could look into dental technician. high brow stuff though, where 3d imaging is the norm (cerec and the like). you may have to do all the mundane stuff beforehand too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 lumjm

yea i was kinda thinking that, maybe just start out with the nursing and then progress to technician later on, as I am creative and good with my hands. Many thanks for your help!

Advertisement