Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experiance in Graphic Design.

Options
  • 08-11-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

I've just started a graphic design course and I love it.
    I already have a BA and an MA in social studies, but coz of circumstance have had to change my career. Anyway, My new course requires me to have work experiance in graphic design, but nobody will take me. I've emailed and called a few place but got nothing back. I have kind of focused on a lot of charity and volunteer organizations, mainly coz of my previous experiance in that area, but they all seem to outsource thier graphic designers.

Anybody know of any place that take on students?

I'm also 27, so I'm a good bit older then most of the students in the class, but I think my experiance working on campaigns and as PRO's in clubs and societies might help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Sorry I can't answer your question but any chance of some details on the course? Im the same age considering changing careers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

You're going to yell at me...

And sorry if I sound like a dick... but...

We were hiring a couple of months ago. We received a lot of applications and the first round of editing of those applications was for spelling. One single spelling mistake and the application and CV were binned.

So It may help to get someone to help you with your cover letter, because your spelling is making me cringe.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Spell check your headings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

InTheTrees wrote: »
    You're going to yell at me...

And sorry if I sound like a dick... but...

We were hiring a couple of months ago. We received a lot of applications and the first round of editing of those applications was for spelling. One single spelling mistake and the application and CV were binned.

So It may help to get someone to help you with your cover letter, because your spelling is making me cringe.

:o
    That is an arrogant and unhelpful post! He is looking for work experience (unpaid) in graphic design. If he was seeking something in the literary field I would certainly criticise but in this case you are just being arrogant.

Oh for what it's worth, you do not "edit" applications you assess them.

bette wrote: »
    That is an arrogant and unhelpful post! He is looking for work experience (unpaid) in graphic design. If he was seeking something in the literary field I would certainly criticise but in this case you are just being arrogant.

Oh for what it's worth, you do not "edit" applications you assess them.

Unhelpful? Why? He's not getting any response from the places that he's written to, and he doesn't know why. Should we not mention anything?

Graphic designers work with text almost all the time. Its not a "literary" thing, you can use spell checker if you want, it shows a familiarity with tools and an attention to detail, and conversely the lack of attention to detail is a glaring red flag.

Also its the HR dept that does the "editing" (after assessing, reviewing and pondering) before even forwarding the remainder to us, so I'm no god of grammar either.

Sorry. But I said I'd come off sounding like a dick.

• Advertisement

Unhelpful? Why? He's not getting any response from the places that he's written to, and he doesn't know why. Should we not mention anything?

Graphic designers work with text almost all the time. Its not a "literary" thing, you can use spell checker if you want, it shows a familiarity with tools and an attention to detail, and conversely the lack of attention to detail is a glaring red flag.

Also its the HR dept that does the "editing" (after assessing, reviewing and pondering) before even forwarding the remainder to us, so I'm no god of grammar either.

Sorry. But I said I'd come off sounding like a dick.

I take it you are not going to offer the OP some work experience?

I take it you are not going to offer the OP some work experience?

Not unless he's in Seattle.

So whats your advice as to why he's not getting the call backs?

Unfortunately in these hard times applying for unpaid intern position is probably almost as difficult as applying for a paying gig. Experience is worth a lot.

So assuming one is competing with quite a few others then first impressions are vital.

So back to square one. Brush up the cover letter. Maybe even phone first but you dont want to be a nuisance. Research is important too, sometimes the less cool places are easier to get into first.

Not unless he's in Seattle.

So whats your advice as to why he's not getting the call backs?

Unfortunately in these hard times applying for unpaid intern position is probably almost as difficult as applying for a paying gig. Experience is worth a lot.

So assuming one is competing with quite a few others then first impressions are vital.

So back to square one. Brush up the cover letter. Maybe even phone first but you dont want to be a nuisance. Research is important too, sometimes the less cool places are easier to get into first.

If he had a few designs/projects that he could show? There's a plumber on one of these boards whose spelling is not great. His handwork, by contrast, is excellent and he is a really helpful chap, if you get my drift...

*sigh*

So you're seriously suggesting the ability to use spell checker and presumably basic text editing tools is of no importance to a "graphic designer"?

And your only reason is that you know a plumber who's really good but cant spell for sh1t???

Talk about arrogant and unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Now now ladies.............deep breaths.....Opens a can puts feet up on desk this could be a good one.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Valdez

What type of work experience are you looking for? Just graphic design? Or print media too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Well think about it what if you have to design something and next thing you see a spelling mistake after printing about 1000 copies of it.

Well think about it what if you have to design something and next thing you see a spelling mistake after printing about 1000 copies of it.

The printer will print from plates which he is supplied with.
    The typesetter will set type from the copy he is supplied with
    The author is responsible for the copy he supplies!
    The client will check a proof before he gives the go-ahead to print.

Do you know any more about printing that you are not sharing with us?

For the OP; have you tried contacting your local parish with a a view to helping them on their newsletter layout? How about the amateur sports clubs? There's some stuff you could get involved with there. It's difficult to get into the mainstream so your area might just as well be voluntary. Posters for quiz nights mand the like. Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

The printer will print from plates which he is supplied with.
    The typesetter will set type from the copy he is supplied with
    The author is responsible for the copy he supplies!
    The client will check a proof before he gives the go-ahead to print.

Do you know any more about printing that you are not sharing with us?

For the OP; have you tried contacting your local parish with a a view to helping them on their newsletter layout? How about the amateur sports clubs? There's some stuff you could get involved with there. It's difficult to get into the mainstream so your area might just as well be voluntary. Posters for quiz nights mand the like. Just an idea.

That part of your post is the key really, great advice for the OP indeed.

Advertisement