Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin

Options
  • 08-11-2011 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi guys,

A few weeks ago I applied for a job in Leixlip as a Dutch Technical Support Analyst and last friday they said they wanna hire me, so now I'm making all sort of plans to move to Dublin etc.

I was wondering if one could give me a bit of advice about some of the neighbourhoods I'm thinking about renting a room in.

I'm a real city person, so living in Leixlip is not really worth considering. I'm prepared to bicycle 20 km every day to work (been doing that in Belgium for over a year) so basically anything between the M50 and the N81 & N2 is fine.
    However, I really like the idea of living close to Phoenix Park and I'd prefer to live as close as possible to Dublin centre as well.

By looking at google maps these were the neighbourhoods that fit my criteria best: Cabra, Drumcondra, Stoneybatter, Smithfield, Rialto, Crumlin & Goldenbridge.

Probably all of them are nice places to live in, it's just that I'm currently living in one of the worst areas of Antwerp to live in and I don't want to experience the same in Dublin. My current neighbourhood is notorious for it's many foreigners (~80% and 166 different nationalities), drug(ab)users buying and selling their stuff in broad daylight in shopping streets, alcoholics sitting all day on benches in front of houses, etc.
    Do any of the aforementioned neighbourhoods have similar problems?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Crumlin or Ballyfermot would probably be your Best Choice Rhand, real Dublin people in nice working class area. Unfortunately a lot of parts of Dublin City have Drug and Alcohol problems (like most cities today), but these two places would suit your needs best I think.

21/25

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Rhand wrote: »
    I'm a real city person, so living in Leixlip is not really worth considering.

Rhand, Leixlip is about a 30/40 minute bus ride from the City centre. I live in Celbridge which is pretty close to Leixlip.

There are plenty of buses and a train station with access to the city centre.
    By looking at google maps these were the neighbourhoods that fit my criteria best: Cabra, Drumcondra, Stoneybatter, Smithfield, Rialto, Crumlin & Goldenbridge.

Do you mean Islandbridge?
    Of all the places you mentioned above, I would go with Islandbridge. Maybe Smithfield.
    I wouldn't feel safe in any of the other places you mention. And before I get hung, that's my opinion folks!

You might also consider Lucan, Chapelizod or Palmerstown?
    uch wrote: »
    Crumlin or Ballyfermot would probably be your Best Choice Rhand

/Edit.

No offence uch but I lived in Ballyfermot for six years and I HATED it.
    I never felt safe. Low level intimidation from gangs of teenagers.
    Large bin area being set on fire outside apt ever few weeks.
    I even had a junkie try to get in my window one night.
    I really believe that if you come from those areas then you will be fine as you are a local.
    If, like me, (or Rhand) you come from somewhere else, they spot that straight off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If its the City it would have to be Smithfield / Islandbridge/ Chapelizod.

Ballyfermot and Crumlin arent exactly the city but not exactly the suburbs either. But the city would be the a mix of the top few.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Do you mean Islandbridge?

Not sure, on google maps 'Goldenbridge' is the area between Davitt Road and Emmet Road.
    Of all the places you mentioned above, I would go with Islandbridge. Maybe Smithfield.
    I wouldn't feel safe in any of the other places you mention. And before I get hung, that's my opinion folks!

You make it sound so bad :D
    You might also consider Lucan?

I don't know. I won't be for long in Ireland (2-5 years est.) and I really do wanna live in Dublin, so I'd prefer Dublin or it's nearest suburbs even if that means I'd have to bicycle more every day to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

uch wrote: »
    Crumlin or Ballyfermot would probably be your Best Choice Rhand, real Dublin people in nice working class area. Unfortunately a lot of parts of Dublin City have Drug and Alcohol problems (like most cities today), but these two places would suit your needs best I think.

What nonsense!!!! Ignore this delusional person! Crumlin and Ballyfermot are horrible places. Worked in Crumlin years ago, hated the place and its full of little scumbags. I would agree with other reply that Islandbridge would suit you. Smithfield is ok too and very central of course!

• Advertisement

Gingko wrote: »
    What nonsense!!!! Ignore this delusional person! Crumlin and Ballyfermot are horrible places. Worked in Crumlin years ago, hated the place and its full of little scumbags. I would agree with other reply that Islandbridge would suit you. Smithfield is ok too and very central of course!

Dont over Generalise, Crumlin is a massive area.

So yes there are areas where you probably wouldnt want to be, but also the vast majority of it is perfectly fine. With more of an elderly population.

So to generalise like that shows a lack of understanding.

You make it sound so bad :D

My French husband was minding his own business having a quiet pint in a local pub in Ballyfermot once.
    He was told to go back to Poland. :/

Were you my friend I would only allow you to consider Chapelizod, Palmerstown, Islandbridge or Smithfield. :)

I won't be for long in Ireland (2-5 years est.)

Get a short lease in the first place you rent, that way you can move if you don't like it.
    In fact, if you can get a short term room lease it would even be better.
    Being here and checking the place out before renting long term would be a good idea.
    Daft.ie would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

I live in Stoneybatter, it's a perfectly fine place to live, mostly professionals and elderly locals where I am.

I commuted to Maynooth (near Leixlip) last year and hated doing it, you'll have a hard time cycling to Leixlip during the winter months too.

listermint wrote: »
    Dont over Generalise, Crumlin is a massive area.

So yes there are areas where you probably wouldnt want to be, but also the vast majority of it is perfectly fine. With more of an elderly population.

So to generalise like that shows a lack of understanding.

I don't think that living in Crumlin or Ballyfermot is a good introduction to either Dublin or Ireland for our Dutch friend. Sorry my mind won't change on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Get a short lease in the first place you rent, that way you can move if you don't like it.
    Being here and checking the place out before renting long term would be a good idea.

Agree with this 100%. Rent somewhere short term, and use that as a base to explore the areas that you and others have mentioned. The areas mentioned are quite diverse. Each one has its good and bad points. You can't really get a feel for what these are, and how important they are to you until you are actually here.

I recently moved back to Dublin after a long period of time away. That is what I did as Dublin has changed a lot since I used to live here. I was very glad that I did. The monthly rent on a short term lease will be about double what you will pay if you are in a long term lease. However all bills (electricity, cable TV, internet, gas, bins etc etc) will be included in a short term let. They are not for a long term lease. So you won't have to worry about those expenses, or having to set up the connections as soon as you get off the plane.

Renting short term may be an additional expense, but you can not put a price on the peace of mind of moving into an apartment or house long term and knowing that you have done to leg work to make sure that the location really is the right one for you. Given the concerns that you have already expressed about where you live, there is only so much that you can find out on the internet. First hand experience is so much better.

• Advertisement

Regarding daft.ie, should I already start looking for a place or will most of those be gone by the time I arrive in Dublin (2 weeks from now)?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Two weeks? Wow, you are cutting it pretty close.

If it is a long term lease, the place is still available if the ad is still up on Daft.

If it is a short term lease, it may or may not be. It is not worth the companies time to take the ad down and put it back up again if the apt is only going to be booked out for a week or two a time. So while the ad may be up, it may not be available for your time frame. Call them and find out. As you need a home so soon, I'd telephone them. I have gotten a much better result calling on the phone than I do emailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Living in Leixlip is not that bad a choice, it's a suburb of Dublin, I'm open to correction but it's not the longest bus/train journey (40 minutes or so), to Dublin city centre and as far as I can remember, there are also night buses.

Have to tell ya Rhand, cycling in Ireland is a whole other story to cycling in Antwerp (well anywhere in Belgium). Cycling paths are few and far between, and not usually well looked after at all. There is also a pretty ****ty attitude to cyclists in Ireland.

I live in the Netherlands, and I cycle everywhere, I wouldn't DREAM of cycling too far in Ireland

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Two weeks? Wow, you are cutting it pretty close.

If it is a long term lease, the place is still available if the ad is still up on Daft.

If it is a short term lease, it may or may not be. It is not worth the companies time to take the ad down and put it back up again if the apt is only going to be booked out for a week or two a time. So while the ad may be up, it may not be available for your time frame. Call them and find out. As you need a home so soon, I'd telephone them. I have gotten a much better result calling on the phone than I do emailing.

Yeah, I'm not gonna phone Irish people while I'm still in Belgium. It's 1€/minute, a bit too expensive if you ask me. Guess I'll just mail a few interesting places.

Gingko wrote: »
    I don't think that living in Crumlin or Ballyfermot is a good introduction to either Dublin or Ireland for our Dutch friend. Sorry my mind won't change on that!

Not trying to change your mind. Just telling you that you are wrong. Saying an entire area the size of crumlin is bad is blatantly incorrect. It like telling someone to stay away from the city centre D1 or D2. Its an area of equal size.

Fathoms belief but if someone is looking for information be more exact in future.

btw i have no immediate affliation to crumlin, but i worked for years across the entire county. So have inside knowledge of the different areas.

Yeah, I'm not gonna phone Irish people while I'm still in Belgium. It's 1€/minute, a bit too expensive if you ask me. Guess I'll just mail a few interesting places.

Skype?? it makes cents

:D;)

Just so you know, you will get a quicker, more helpful response phoning.
    When I need something done in Ireland, I won't bother e-mailing.
    Getting a body on the phone is the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭donaghs

I'm a real city person, so living in Leixlip is not really worth considering. I'm prepared to bicycle 20 km every day to work (been doing that in Belgium for over a year) so basically anything between the M50 and the N81 & N2 is fine.
    However, I really like the idea of living close to Phoenix Park and I'd prefer to live as close as possible to Dublin centre as well.

How about somewhere between the Phoenix Park gates and Blanchardstown village? Its all a nice area. Close enough to town with bus and train links. May lack some of the liveliness of town, but also doesn't have the junkies and other "wrongdoers" you may come across in town or other suburbs. Close to M50 also, but would have to pay toll if driving to Leixlip. Train stops nearby on way to Leixlip also.

Sounds like a long cycle to Leixlip from anywhere near town. But its easy to get to the Strawberry Beds Lower Lucan road from Castleknock, and from there you could cycle to Lucan village and onto Leixlip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Living in Leixlip is not that bad a choice, it's a suburb of Dublin, I'm open to correction but it's not the longest bus/train journey (40 minutes or so), to Dublin city centre and as far as I can remember, there are also night buses.
    If you are after city life then you will be bored living in Leixlip. You are definitely better to live in Dublin and commute. Like others have said the roads/weather here are not as cyclist friendly as in other countries. If you are determined to cycle then either smithfield or anywhere near the quays or in the city center would be good to live. Simithfield and Stoneybatter are fine areas. I wouldn't rent in crumlin or ballyfermot myself. Drumcondra and Phibsborough are lovely areas but would not be as handy for cycling to Leixlip.
    Best advice on here is to rent a room short term and make a more informed decision after a while. You will have no problem getting a nice room, its a renters market at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

Hey Rhand,just been thinking a good couple of developments to consider would be Clancy Quay in Islandbridge and the Chocolate Factory just up the road from this in Inchicore,Ill talk to you later.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Not trying to change your mind. Just telling you that you are wrong. Saying an entire area the size of crumlin is bad is blatantly incorrect. It like telling someone to stay away from the city centre D1 or D2. Its an area of equal size.

Fathoms belief but if someone is looking for information be more exact in future.

btw i have no immediate affliation to crumlin, but i worked for years across the entire county. So have inside knowledge of the different areas.

As do I! We agree to disagree? Crumlin does not have good nightlife or cafes etc. It is bland and quite grim in Winter. Even the very layout and original planning of the area is not nice. I can't believe someone recommended Crumlin and Ballyfermot to our Dutch friend. Your ref to D1 and D2??? It's not the same thing! Their is a big mix of people in those areas with real city life. Crumlin / Ballyfermot are predominantly local (there are exceptions of course) and do not offer our Dutch friend the city experience he is looking for!

Plenty of nice and more interesting places to live in Dublin. Yea like the other guys say maybe close to Phoenix Park might be a good idea. Europes biggest city park with lots of space and a short cycle to centre. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭amandausa

I recently moved to Dublin from America -- I am living in Kilmainham which is close to Rialto - and I love it here. Lots of shops, pubs, close to museums - great for public transportation via luas and bus (less than 10 min to city centre) - quiet at night and seems nice people live around here...

Advertisement