Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beagle Puppy

• 08-11-2011 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi , Would anyone have info on beagle puppy's , looking to get for my 3 year old, any info would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hi , Would anyone have info on beagle puppy's , looking to get for my 3 year old, any info would be greatly appreciated

Have you researched the breed OP? Beagles are a high energy dog and need a LOT of excerice and interaction or they can become destructive. Have you had a beagle before - i've heard they can be a but stubborn and difficult to train? Also are you prepared for the pup nipping and biting your child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

[FONT=Calibri]Personally I wouldn’t recommend getting a puppy for your 3 year old, personally i would wait until your child is 5 or over etc.... Just my opinion.. your child is 3... puppies play bit and can be quiet sore , they can be very hyper etc... knocking your child over etc .... i wouldn’t get a puppy for a 3 year old.[/FONT]

Also beagles are lovely dogs but require TONS of time and exercise etc, they are hunting dogs so will need over 1 hour exercise each day (running not walking regardless of the weather), or they will become destructive.... they are hyper (lot of the time) , they are very strong and also need mental stimulation...etc

I am all on for getting a dog to join your family but in my opinion a puppy isn’t ideal when your child is so young, and def not a beagle if you have a young family... there is a high possibility after a few months your dog will end up being rehomed.

What about a dog or 18 months? What about a different breed?
    Lots of dogs are excellent with children ....

http://www.dogstrust.ie/dogs-for-rehoming/?nggpage=2

I have a cocker, he is excleent with kids although he too is a hunting dog, he is very well exercised etc.... so it keeps him happy and calm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Only get a dog if you want one for yourself, getting a dog for a child is a disaster unless the adults wanted one anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please dont get a dog for this reason. Iv elost count on the amount of people recently getting rid of their dog because their child doesnt want anything to do with it anymore and it was got for the child:mad:

Also, Beagles are not good pets for kids or the average home, they are hunters and require huge amounts of exercise, they are escape artists and you cant let them off the lead or they will be gone if they get a scent.

If you really want to get a dog, then i suggest a King Charles or Bichon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

also beagles dont bark they howl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭eoinburke67

A lot of negativity here towards beagles , how many of you actually have one just out of curiosity? I actually got a beagle puppy for a present last year from my parents after my junior cert and I must say from my own experience although it's my first dog and I'm no expert they don't require a hour of running each they as a lot of peoPle say, I have a game of fetch every day for 20 mins. I've got a good long throw and a big enough garden on a Hill which helps no doubt but after 20 mins she's done and ready to retire to the sofa. They are a active breed, after her nap from a game of fetch mine likes to trot around the house seeing where and what people are doing. They are not as loud as people say mine only ever barks when the door bell rings and I have never trained to to do it or not to bark in general also they do bark ask someone said they don't but they also do howl and bay due to their unique vocal cords. As for people saying their stubborn they are not. People say the way to train is with rewards like treats but I'd say for beagles they do love treats but the real treat it play time with you. It took my beagle a couple sessions of 5 mins to learn how to "give a hi five" in one day couldn't have taken a hour in total. She knows the basics sit, stay, down, into bed,into the pen, and even to go find her mat and bring it to me. They are a great pet. Most suitable for any half active family with kids I myself have 2 younger sisters one 12 and one 6. It was brought up earlier and I would agree a 3 year old is too young for a pup of any kind I'd say. Pups want to play and even with out meaning to hurt the child wait till its 5 or more but then fire ahead and get a pup if YOU want not the child. Another thing about beagles and must be taken into consideration is they are a hunting dog as stated before and are built to use their nose which no matter what will make them wonder off if not secured. Also as I said before about training they are not stubborn you just need to encourage them by what they like not what the general consesous is there is one exception. Training one to walk on a leash because you can't just go for a training session and let it loose in the middle of the road to play a game of fetch or what ever it likes tug of war etc. it must be done through persistence and from a early age. I couldnt count how many times I've been stopped by other beagle owners and asked how I've gotten mine to walk properly on the lead do well and tbh it's still not perfect new cars, dogs and people can cause problems but we are getting over that. All in all I couldn't recommend a beagle more. They are a good looking dog. Very trainable or else they would be useless at hunting and a great watch dog when it barks you know someone is about to ring the bell. They do need exercise but not what some people claim.

Just on a side note for people who may question me on the 20 mins of exercise keeping my dog content. She's 1 and a half years old and if anything the vet recentaly said I'm to increase her food because she is on the skinny side and I already give her slightly over the dosage relative to her weight. All the best getting a dog and hope you get the right one for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Hi OP
    I'll just give you my opinion and experience. I pestered my parents for a beagle when I was 13 and they finally relented and got me one. He was a lovely dog, very good natured and not a bad bone in his body BUT my god he needed loads of exercise (which me being a teenager hated doing:o) As a few people have said they are very stubborn and disobedient and will run off after every scent they get. Also as they are pack dogs they do not like being on their own much. Charlie used to howl if he was left outside for any amount of time.

If you can offer all this to the dog go ahead and get one but if you have a small house, work long hours and aren't able to give it the exercise it needs you will end up with a very destructive dog! I got a miniature schnauzer pup a few weeks ago. I also have a 2 year old little boy and I have to be vigilant all day on keeping an eye on them. The puppy loves the toddler and vice versa but they are both babies. My little boy can be quite rough without knowing and could easily hurt the pup which could then lead to a bite. I have a crate for the dog that I put him in if I feel my son is getting too hyper. I would never ever leave them alone together. It's hard aul work tbh I have 2 babies now!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

I have a 2 and a half year old beagle who we got as a pup. Hes a great dog, fun to have around, doesnt howl when left alone and is great with the kids. My 4 year old girl and him are best buds and he will refuse to walk if she is around and not coming along.
    He gets two good walks each day, usually around 40mins to an hour each which can be a downside but we would walk lots anyways. I let him off lead in certain areas where Im sure he cant go too far and he does have decent if not bullet proof recall.
    There are lots of generalisations about dog breed traits that dont always mach the individual dog. My fella loves a walk in wooded areas where he can engage his nose and not just have a walk for the sake of exercise. He has only "escaped" once when he enlagred a hole in the garden fence and got into the neighbours yard.:rolleyes:
    Personally I think if the OP wants a beagle and is aware of the traits of the breed they should go for it. The benefits far outweigh the negatives IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

Please dont make such generalisations. My beagle doesnt howl, others may but he doesnt. He barks like any other dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

rafared wrote: »

Please dont make such generalisations. My beagle doesnt howl, others may but he doesnt. He barks like any other dog.

Making generalisations is exactly what the OP should be doing thou - the need to weigh up the pros and cons to make a decision on what breed suits their family? The fact that the dog might howl could be a major factor for some people (myself included) depending on where they live? My dog didn't bark or cry at night when he was a puppy and we brought him home - does that mean that everyone who's had a pup cry at night is making generalisations?
    BTW I heard that they can be stubborn from a trainer who sees hundreds of dogs a month and owns beagles so they are qualified imo to say that they can be stubborn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Just to add my 2 cents worth..
    Firstly, never get a dog just because a child wants one as at the end of the day it will end up to be your responsibility to walk, feed train etc the new addition the the family.

Re Beagles - I work with a small rescue & we have 4 beagles at the moment looking for new homes and thats out of 22 dogs. All very active, need alot of stimulation, 2 of them prefer the outdoors as opposed to being "indoor pets" - 3 of them are escape artists & one in particular is like Houdini & can open doors etc...

Based on that I would possibly say they may not be suitable for you BUT I would say possibly speak to someone very experienced with Beagles & from that you may be able to make a better decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Can I just add that I got my dog for myself not my son but I think it is good to grow up with pets around once the child and pet are monitored properly and the child is thought how to treat the pet. I'm a big animal lover and a groomer so I researched what breed would suit me and my home and lifestyle and I decided on a miniature schnauzer. And I'm not trying to say anything bad about Beagles they are beautiful dogs I loved mine dearly:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Do not get a dog for a child. A child cannot take care of a dog so it will be you who is doing the training and cleaning up the mess.

However if its you who really wants a dog then go for it but please do not buy a dog. There are too many dogs in shelters looking for a home. Please consider adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 AK Poker Club

Hi All
    Thanks for all the in put, Just to let you know,

The new pup is for the family, the 3 year old being the youngest of 3 boys oldest 11, its the 3 year old loves animals so this is why I'm focusing on our next dog around him, our last dog was a springer who died of old age over a year ago, we rescued him from the pound 9 years ago so doing the same again is not an issue, we live in the country on an acre site with access to fields behind our house so space and exercise will be a daily occurrence, I'm sure a beagle will need as much exercise as the springer did.

We are researching all avenues to get a beagle including recognised breeders and rescue pounds,

Thanks for all the replies, any further info is welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi All
    Thanks for all the in put, Just to let you know,

The new pup is for the family, the 3 year old being the youngest of 3 boys oldest 11, its the 3 year old loves animals so this is why I'm focusing on our next dog around him, our last dog was a springer who died of old age over a year ago, we rescued him from the pound 9 years ago so doing the same again is not an issue, we live in the country on an acre site with access to fields behind our house so space and exercise will be a daily occurrence, I'm sure a beagle will need as much exercise as the springer did.

We are researching all avenues to get a beagle including recognised breeders and rescue pounds,

Thanks for all the replies, any further info is welcome.

OP... if your heart is set on a beagle.... have a look below:

<snip>

best of luck :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

cocker5 wrote: »
    OP... if your heart is set on a beagle.... have a look below:

<snip>

best of luck :D

I not sure which part of no links to done deal you don't understand, you can have a 2 day break from the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

PM Sent Cocker5:)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi Beagles are driven by their noses. a neighbour had one, lovely looking dog, but took off at the first opportunity, they are working dogs so will need a LOT of exercise.

Advertisement