Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Wiring Question

• 08-11-2011 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

The light in my kitchen has never been changed since my house was built in the early 70s. It was one of those long flourescent lights and recently it stopped working so I thought I would swap it out for one for something a bit more modern. Normally I wouldnt mess with the wiring of my house but after looking at how to install my new light it seemed to be pretty similar to changing a plug (Blue neutral Brown live etc) so I thought I'd give it a go myself.

I removed the old light and found a different wiring scheme than I was expecting, there were 2 red wires and a single black wire. I also noticed when I removed the kitchen light the sitting room light stopped working. I Googled this configuration and found out that the red wires are supposedly the live wires and the black is neutral. I also read that sometimes its normal to have adjoining lights wired into the same circuit. So I gave it a shot and lo and behold the new kitchen light works, as does the light in the adjoining room, Woo!!. I was delighted with myself but then I realized that the light in the adjoining room will only turn on when the kitchen light is turned off, otherwise it wont work. Anyone have any idea where I went wrong and how to fix it?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

get an electrician in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

This would fly better in the elec section

Proceed with care:)

seems to me that the wiring is a-ways.

I don't know what u googled but I think you mis read it

In a correct installation:

The single wire to the light from the switch is what is called the switched live.

The double wire at the light fitting is the return/neutral and is looped from one light fitting to another and then back to the board.

In your case it is possible that the live is looped and the neutral is switched.

How many wires are at the switch in the kitchen and in the adjoining room: the issue u describe could be from the following:
    some switches have L1 L2 and C as 3 terminals and, [ i think this sequence is correct]: in one position L2 and C are closed and in the other position L1 and L2 are closed.

In you case turning off the kitchen switch may be closing the neutral for the adjoining room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

Carlow52 wrote: »
    This would fly better in the elec section

Proceed with care:)

seems to me that the wiring is a-ways.

I don't know what u googled but I think you mis read it

In a correct installation:

The single wire to the light from the switch is what is called the switched live.

The double wire at the light fitting is the return/neutral and is looped from one light fitting to another and then back to the board.

In your case it is possible that the live is looped and the neutral is switched.

How many wires are at the switch in the kitchen and in the adjoining room: the issue u describe could be from the following:
    some switches have L1 L2 and C as 3 terminals and, [ i think this sequence is correct]: in one position L2 and C are closed and in the other position L1 and L2 are closed.

In you case turning off the kitchen switch may be closing the neutral for the adjoining room

Oops, Didnt realize there was an Eletrical sub forum, if a mod could move this there that would be great.

The switches for both rooms are on a 2 gang light switch. Each switch has a black wire coming from it which is going into the wall and the switch for the kitchen has a red wire that is connected to the swich for the adjoining room in the same terminal as a second red wire which is going into the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Elysian wrote: »
    Oops, Didnt realize there was an Eletrical sub forum, if a mod could move this there that would be great.

The switches for both rooms are on a 2 gang light switch. Each switch has a black wire coming from it which is going into the wall and the switch for the kitchen has a red wire that is connected to the swich for the adjoining room in the same terminal as a second red wire which is going into the wall.

Thanks.
    Don't know then:)

It would be useful, at the switches, to know if the red is the live and the 2 blacks are the switched lives to the lights.

I presume you didnt change anything at the switches?

ps should have said in my earlier post that you cant rely on colours:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Don't know then:)

It would be useful, at the switches, to know if the red is the live and the 2 blacks are the switched lives to the lights.

I presume you didnt change anything at the switches?

ps should have said in my earlier post that you cant rely on colours:)

Thanks for your help so far man, the wiring of the switches remains untouched. If I have the wiring backwards and the red wire is not actually the live wire would the light still work with the live wire in the neutral terminal on the light?

• Advertisement
Advertisement