Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running a belkin modem off a Speedtouch modem (to gain WiFi)

• 08-11-2011 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I apologise in advance for my ignorance / stupidity but I would really appreciate some help...

Five months ago we moved into a new apartment, and connected up our broadband; the ISP provides a Thomson Speedtouch modem (ST546 v6), which I understand from Tech Support is running software v4 (it was issued with V5, but rolled back to V4 for stability issues).

We prefer a WiFi network, so purchased a Belkin N Wireless Modem Router (F5D8636-4 v2); I connected it up ditching the ISP issued modem, and all worked well for four months. Suddenly it then refused to see the ADSL connection - orange light flashing.

So after four nights of 'fault resolution' with Belkin, they decided to send me a replacement, and in the meantime we resorted back to the ISP supplied modem; it worked perfectly, just no WiFi capability. I finally received the Belkin replacement last night. It didn't work - same problem, flashing orange light.

I have the correct user name and password for the ISP - checked it not once, not twice, but four times. The Thomson Speedtouch works, but doesn't provide a WiFi environment.

Can I connect the Belkin modem router into the back of the Thomson and transmitt/carry the WiFi signal that way, and if so, how? I tried (the obvious to me) plug a ethernet cable from the Thomson modem into the Belkin, but nothing.. I'm guessing there are a few important steps I missed.

I've tried changing the ethernet cables and the adsl cord, just incase there was a fault.. still no Belkin WiFi. My ISP won't support the Belkin modem router as they didnt supply it (fair enough), but is there a way to get the WiFi operational?

Please help.. if I have to call another Customer Services team where they don't speak English, I may cry*

(*Im a girl.. crying in the face of challenges is acceptable. Maybe)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

KiwiLost wrote: »
    I apologise in advance for my ignorance / stupidity but I would really appreciate some help...

Five months ago we moved into a new apartment, and connected up our broadband; the ISP provides a Thomson Speedtouch modem (ST546 v6), which I understand from Tech Support is running software v4 (it was issued with V5, but rolled back to V4 for stability issues).

We prefer a WiFi network, so purchased a Belkin N Wireless Modem Router (F5D8636-4 v2); I connected it up ditching the ISP issued modem, and all worked well for four months. Suddenly it then refused to see the ADSL connection - orange light flashing.

So after four nights of 'fault resolution' with Belkin, they decided to send me a replacement, and in the meantime we resorted back to the ISP supplied modem; it worked perfectly, just no WiFi capability. I finally received the Belkin replacement last night. It didn't work - same problem, flashing orange light.

I have the correct user name and password for the ISP - checked it not once, not twice, but four times. The Thomson Speedtouch works, but doesn't provide a WiFi environment.

Can I connect the Belkin modem router into the back of the Thomson and transmitt/carry the WiFi signal that way, and if so, how? I tried (the obvious to me) plug a ethernet cable from the Thomson modem into the Belkin, but nothing.. I'm guessing there are a few important steps I missed.

I've tried changing the ethernet cables and the adsl cord, just incase there was a fault.. still no Belkin WiFi. My ISP won't support the Belkin modem router as they didnt supply it (fair enough), but is there a way to get the WiFi operational?

Please help.. if I have to call another Customer Services team where they don't speak English, I may cry*

(*Im a girl.. crying in the face of challenges is acceptable. Maybe)

Belkins are crap, so that is the likely reason. You should be able to connect the Thomson Speed touch modem into the Belkin router. Now if you baught a Belkin Modem/Router, you will need to turn off the ADSL interface, usually disabling DHCP I think suffices or putting it into bridge mode. But a wifi router should just be plug and play, but Belkins are useless.
    Also if its a modem router, and it uses a DSL (phone line) connection, and your Thomson takes a DSL phone line connection you could just use the modem router as the main device, you can find your ISPs config settings online

Nick

Edit: I missed that your were actually using the Belkin as a modem, check with your ISP have the changed the login credentials or VPI/VCI settings, etc. for DSL. ISPs can usually update their own gear over the air, but not 3rd party stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 KiwiLost

Its a Belkin Modem Router, but Belkin Customer Service can't get it working - the orange ADSL light keeps flashing, and it wont return an internet connection.

I expected that plugging the DSL line into the Belkin, and running the 'Setup CD' should have worked, but it doesnt.

Any other suggestions? I paid €100 for the modem, expecting it to work.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

KiwiLost wrote: »
    Its a Belkin Modem Router, but Belkin Customer Service can't get it working - the orange ADSL light keeps flashing, and it wont return an internet connection.

I expected that plugging the DSL line into the Belkin, and running the 'Setup CD' should have worked, but it doesnt.

Any other suggestions? I paid €100 for the modem, expecting it to work.

I've had expierience with a Belkin in the past a good while I go I must say but couldn't get DSL to sync. Belkins India support were hopeless, told me to "plug the small box in", It took a while for me to discover he meant the DSL filter, which obviously I tried with or without (filtered socket was in place already so...).
    Anyways my advise is to contact your ISP and ask them for the settings, including:
    Login Name/Password for DSL broadband (make sure you tell them for the broadband)
    VCI/VPI details
    Encapsulation type, usually PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC-based likely
    Primary & Secondary DNS servers (You can use googles ones, 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4)

If you arn't in Ireland it is possible the Encapsulation and Multiplexing settings may differ, your ISP will tell you this, but it could be the Belkin is just junk, Linksys and netgear are much more hasstle free,
    Also try upgrading the firmware on the Belkin, can't hurt!

Good luck

Nick

Edit: Btw you don't need to use a CD to install the modem, plug it in and go the the default Gateway config page, usually 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.254 etc. You can find out the default gateway by going to Start>run>type cmd>OK type in the console windows ipconfig /all. The default gateway under your network adaptor is the modems config page!

Advertisement