Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from UPC to 3G :(

• 08-11-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong section to post.

I'm finding myself possibly needing to move house soon. The new place is in the middle of nowhere. Not even a hope of slow DSL. I've been spoiled rotten with UPC for the past few years so I'm looking for alternatives to ease the pain.

The only viable option I have is 3G.

I'm currently analysing the area as to which 3G provider would suit best but I'm edging towards Three.

Other than simple surfing and email, PS3 online would be nice. none of this COD stuff, just simple PSN online games. I understand this may not be possible.

Can anyone recommend a decent router that has the following?

3G WAN [SIM or USB Dongle]
    WPA2 PSK WIFI
    Decent bandwidth usage stats

Nice to have:
    QOS
    OpenVPN Server
    NAT2 able for PS3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

RangeR wrote: »

I'm finding myself possibly needing to move house soon. The new place is in the middle of nowhere. Not even a hope of slow DSL. I've been spoiled rotten with UPC for the past few years so I'm looking for alternatives to ease the pain.

The only viable option I have is 3G.

There's always fixed wireless access in most areas, so no need to suffer the 3G blues : constant fluctuations in speeds and intermittent disconnects.

Tell us whereabouts you are going to and you might be able to find a reasonable fixed wireless providers for that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Yeah, I don't think [but am not totally sure] if fixed wireless is available in the area.

I'm moving here. Obviously not the EXACT location :) but within, I'd say, 3 miles.

Wolf Hill / Shanragh area in Laois.

Yeah, I don't think [but am not totally sure] if fixed wireless is available in the area.

I'm moving here. Obviously not the EXACT location :) but within, I'd say, 3 miles.

Wolf Hill / Shanragh area in Laois.

Ripplecom looks like it's available there but I suppose they'd need to do a site survey.

http://www.ripplecom.net/broadband-coverage-map

Very good. I'll give them a go. Cheers.

Very good. I'll give them a go. Cheers.

Some strings and a few tin cans would be better than 3G:)
    While it can be ok if there aren't many people using it (like 10 in a cell) the rest of the time it's pure rubbish

• Advertisement

bealtine wrote: »
    Some strings and a few tin cans would be better than 3G:)
    While it can be ok if there aren't many people using it (like 10 in a cell) the rest of the time it's pure rubbish

Yeah, tell me about it. I was dreading moving to 3G for serious [non mobile] internet. But needs must [circumstance, not financial].

Advertisement