Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet WiFi Radio Advice

Options
  • 08-11-2011 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭

Hi, Not sure if this exactly the right place, mods please feel free to move this.

Basically, I'm looking at getting an Internet Radio, and was wondering if people had experience of and advice?

I'm looking to get it with the intention of listening to stations like BBC Radio 4 and US NPR at my own convenience. I can do this already on my laptop, but want the convenience of a radio I can switch on and off quickly, with a smaller size and weight, pre-set stations, etc. Handy for bed-side locker, and portable if I'm doing house DIY etc.

If I could get it for under €100 it would be a great, and don't really want to pay more than €130. I'm not too bothered about DAB, as it only seems to be a few Irish stations already on FM, and some new RTE music stations. But DAB and FM would be a bonus. Any advice welcome

Wandering around shops recently, very few people seems to carry them (although DAB is quite common). Peats and Argos were the only places I've seen them. Looking at Amazon, after Sterling currency conversion and postage and packing, theres not much difference between just buying it in a shop. So, considering just buying it in Peats as its easier to have someone to actually talk to when buying it, or if you have to return it.

Peats seem to have 3 models within my price range, anyone any experience of them?
    VL61220 Pure Siesta Flow Clock Radio
    VL-61558 Pure One Flow Internet, DAB & FM Radio
    Roberts Stream 105 Internet Only Radio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

I have one of the PURE radios, available on amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pure+internet+radio&x=0&y=0
    The one I have is the Evoke Flow. Great sound off a small system. Alarms are great, the snooze handlebar is simple and works. No complaints.

Decent reviews online as well.

I'm looking for another myself soon, as I really love this one and need another for another room. The range of stations is amazing and most of them allow streaming from NAS servers in the house. The other ones to look at is the streamium from Philips and Logitech Squeezebox Radio (bit over your price range).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

I'm on the same mission, donaghs, and found this at Argos. Within both your and my budget but it's 1.5 kilos in weight!.

RadioRetro wrote: »
    I'm on the same mission, donaghs, and found this at Argos. Within both your and my budget but it's 1.5 kilos in weight!.
    On argos uk for 79 sterling.

I'd still pump for the squeezebox or Pure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

RadioRetro wrote: »

Thanks RadioRetro, this seems to fit the bill. Would like to read some reviews of it though, can't seem to find any on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Here's another one at a very good price in Power City: http://www.powercity.ie/?par=30-01-IR200&brands=QUALITYGOODS
    "QUALITYGOODS XTREME INTERNET RADIO" only €45.

Internet Radio only though, no frills with this device. Looks a tad big though as well, can't see any specs for dimensions or weight.

• Advertisement

donaghs wrote: »
    Here's another one at a very good price in Power City: http://www.powercity.ie/?par=30-01-IR200&brands=QUALITYGOODS
    "QUALITYGOODS XTREME INTERNET RADIO" only €45.

Internet Radio only though, no frills with this device. Looks a tad big though as well, can't see any specs for dimensions or weight.

I doubt its any good. Its probably rebranded version of another brands own version. But the name quality good xtreme makes me think the product is anything but quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Thats an mp3 only or possibly wma radio. I have seen those on sale locally for v little. I have a revo Mondo and a roberts clockradio/net radio and they at least handle AAC /mp3/OGG and a load of other formats. That aside I paid over a ton for each. Problem with net radio sets is actually "what" theyre able to decode. AAC has so many different versions that for example LBC97.3 london has an AAC feed neither will decode, the mp3 stream is v bubbily and only the wma stream is clean... Net radios are well handy if you have no data limits but beware what you buy.
    Revo are a little highend but tend to be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kathyrose

I was thinking about getting one of these, great reviews on it. Here is a link to what seems like a great price, has anyone dealt with bought from this company before. http://www.luzerntech.com/products/pw-stream205bk-robert-stream-205-stereo-dabfmwifi-internet-radio-new.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I was playing with a Pure. like a big black coconut or miniature rugby ball. Large central touch screen and speaker at either side.

Pluses:
    Very intuitive to use
    FM, DAB and Internet Radio

Minus:
    Quoted power output is fantasy
    Speakers look like 4" or less. Too small
    at €300 it's far too expensive.
    No AM bands, no LW or MW
    No AM SW or DRM SW

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

kathyrose wrote: »
    I was thinking about getting one of these, great reviews on it. Here is a link to what seems like a great price, has anyone dealt with bought from this company before. http://www.luzerntech.com/products/pw-stream205bk-robert-stream-205-stereo-dabfmwifi-internet-radio-new.html

Stupidly tiny poor speakers. Roberts used to have good audio quality due to a 6" speaker. Even their "revival" is 4" speaker though same size box as original!

Something that size would be better with a single mono speaker and stereo only on headphones.

It's horribly over priced for the Audio quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 kathyrose

I need something portable, a radio that works from mains and batteries. I first looked at the Pure Evoke Flow but the battery pack is sold seperate and extra expense and after reading the reviews on amazon on it put me totally off. I then looked at the Roberts Stream 83i cut i'm sure this was mains only. Having had read all the reviews the Roberts always seemd to have come out in top and as i did own a Robert FM radio one time and know that they make quality radio's. For my needs the Stream 205 Stream is ideally suited and the reviews are excellent. I have just ordered one at a very good price with free postage.
    When i recieve and use it i will post my thoughts on it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Channel 5 Gadget Show did a recent review of internet radios, might be of interest.

http://fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/videos/top-5/internet-radios

Advertisement