Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jack russel with little hair, would a heat bulb help in cold nights

• 08-11-2011 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭

i have three jacks, i love them, they are like cats for heat, i leave them in kitchen at night, but one of them has a very thin coat of hair, and very little hair on her underside, i know she feel the cold, and i have her wrapped in one of those fluffy blankets when i am going to bed, i also give the two others a blanket over them, i am wondering if i could find an economical way to heat their bed at night,
    the reason i cannot go for anything under them to heat them is, one of them has teeth like a paranah, i have bought loads of those microwave thingys and he has chewed the lot, i would be lucky if they lasted the night,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I would buy them each a decent coat that covers chest and belly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I would buy them each a decent coat that covers chest and belly
    i tried that too, they thought it was great fun, having tug of war until they tore coats off oneanother, they must not have like the style or colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

goat2 wrote: »
    i tried that too, they thought it was great fun, having tug of war until they tore coats off oneanother, they must not have like the style or colour

Dogs are little sh!tbags really aren't they? :D

You can get low watt electric heaters that you could put right beside their bed, with a plug in timer you could put it on for a few hours in the coldest part of the night?

I have one like this for my dog shed, and a superser :rolleyes:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dimplex-Wattage-Panel-Heater-Timer/dp/B002YI15BO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

We also have a Jack russel that feels the cold. She sleeps in the downstairs bathroom which isn't the warmest room in the house.

I'm wary of using any of those portable heater things, paranoid about fire, electrucution etc.

Does she sleep in a crate? I made a really simple fleece cover for our Jack russels crate and it makes a huge difference heatwise. She loves the privacy of it too. :D It covers the whole outside of the crate and has a flap over the door, like a little tent. It cuts out all drafts etc and insulates.

It's like this one but mine is homemade and very badly sown :Dshow_image_in_imgtag.php?filename=resized%2FDesigner_Canvas__4dd3217fdcdd7_120x120.jpg&newxsize=120&newysize=120&fileout=

We use a memory foam mattress which I think is much warmer. We put extra blankets in so that she can burrow under.

She also sleeps with my other dog and they help keep each other warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I use vet bed and a snuggle safe heat pad for our Pap, he's no undercoat so feels the cold. I got the snuggle safe heat pad on zooplus they stay warm for 5 to 8 hours depending. He loves it, he uses it as a pillow or sometimes lies halfway on it. If your guy feels the cold he'll be drawn to it.

• Advertisement

I use vet bed and a snuggle safe heat pad for our Pap, he's no undercoat so feels the cold. I got the snuggle safe heat pad on zooplus they stay warm for 5 to 8 hours depending. He loves it, he uses it as a pillow or sometimes lies halfway on it. If your guy feels the cold he'll be drawn to it.
    one of my dogs does feel the cold, i have those blankets that are plush fur and she is wrapped in that, but the problem with the heat pads, one of my dogs have teeth that wreck everything, he chewed all of those heat pads, yet he loved the heat and used to sit on them but by morning my little paranah of a dog had them chewed up,

today i bought a red bulb, one of those that are put over chickens, i bought the 150 watt bulb

Advertisement