Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taking a car to Oz

Options
  • 08-11-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi,

Me and the family are planning a permanent move to Aus in 6-8 months.

We have a load of furniture so will be shipping a container over there anyway and now we're considering taking the car too as it will be handy to have and save us forking out for new. Also, we'd get very little here for our one (2002 Honda Civic).

has anyone done this before? Any idea on price for re-rego and cleaning when it arrives in Oz. Are cars expensive over there anyway?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Not sure is it worth doing it. Take a look at www.carsales.com.au n www.tradingpost.com.au will give you idea of prices on cars here .

You might get a good price for selling it n Ire n then be able to get a car up n the years here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Late 000's BMW or VW yes.

but 2002 Honda civic wouldnt be worth it considering it would then be classed as an import (making it maybe harder to sell), safer getting yourself a decent car when you get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Aussie201

Totally depends on yourself, If you want it then take it over. I got a quote about 6 months ago for 1000GBP and that was for a jeep. Cars are quite expensive over there just letting you know! I seen some back packers driving an old 1986 corolla i think it was..thought to myself it costed him nothing, turned out it costed 1500bucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

Aussie201 wrote: »
    Totally depends on yourself, If you want it then take it over. I got a quote about 6 months ago for 1000GBP and that was for a jeep. Cars are quite expensive over there just letting you know! I seen some back packers driving an old 1986 corolla i think it was..thought to myself it costed him nothing, turned out it costed 1500bucks!

Thanks all.

We're in the process of getting quotes so I'll see how much extra it costs seeing as we'll be adding it to our container already, maybe a 40ft instead of a 20ft.
    I was thinking of buying a bomb when we get there to do us until our car arrives, then having it as a second car.
    1000gbp for shipping the car, even with additional taxes seems to make it worth it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

dmaxontour wrote: »
    Thanks all.

We're in the process of getting quotes so I'll see how much extra it costs seeing as we'll be adding it to our container already, maybe a 40ft instead of a 20ft.
    I was thinking of buying a bomb when we get there to do us until our car arrives, then having it as a second car.
    1000gbp for shipping the car, even with additional taxes seems to make it worth it though.

i think it will cost a lot more than that, id say you will be looking at a 3-5 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

the 1000gbp is just for shipping, my brother done the same thing a few years back and its when it gets to the other side all the expense starts, unloading/dock fees, decontamination fees, delivery fees and various other taxes and charges. so tbh the question you should be asking the shipping company is not how much is it to send a container to australia, the proper question is how much is it to get a container delivered to such and such an address in australia, and let them deal with customs and dock fees and the likes so you get an exact and total price for your car delivered to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

gustafo wrote: »
    i think it will cost a lot more than that, id say you will be looking at a 3-5 grand.

brothers 20ft container cost about 6.5k 3 years ago, at the time he was under the impression that it only cost 2k to send a container to australia and it was all the hidden charges that the shipping company don't inform you of is what caught him, tbf to the shipping company it was nothing to do with them their job was just to get the container dockside in perth. shipping has come down in price since but i presume the charges at the other side remain the same.

Advertisement