Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosting Wireless Signal

Options
  • 08-11-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I live in a large bungalow with thick walls. I have the standard eircom wireless router/modem. I have good wireless signal in the rooms adjacant to where I have the router but I am not getting good signal in all the rooms. To get around this I purchased a Belkin N wireless router and connected it to the eircom modem/router thinking it would give a better / stronger signal.

However - the Belkin signal is even weaker than the Eircom router. I have a second phone connection in the part of the house where I cannot get signal - any ideas what the best option is to ensure I have coverage throughout the house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Same situation .The only thing that worked for me was that I put the router in the attic it seems grand now . If you do put it up there make sure you have a switch that you can kill the power to the socket downstairs so if you have to reboot you won't have to go up into the attic

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sully025

pdelahunty wrote: »
    I live in a large bungalow with thick walls. I have the standard eircom wireless router/modem. I have good wireless signal in the rooms adjacant to where I have the router but I am not getting good signal in all the rooms. To get around this I purchased a Belkin N wireless router and connected it to the eircom modem/router thinking it would give a better / stronger signal.

However - the Belkin signal is even weaker than the Eircom router. I have a second phone connection in the part of the house where I cannot get signal - any ideas what the best option is to ensure I have coverage throughout the house?

I also have a similar problem eircom standard router, I have a new vodafone wireless router with bridging capabilites can someone send me on or point me in a direction where i can get the settings for the 2 routers to function together as in the vodafone router to act as the bridge and the eircom router to remain the internet access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

I have a similar problem. My brother has an eircom router (3 years old) in his house. The wireless on it was absolutely rubbish so I turned it off for him on day 1. He only uses a desktop so didn't need it. My mother lives in a separate house 10m away and I'd like to try to extend my brother's wifi signal to her house. Has anybody connected a range extender to an eircom router? I was thinking of getting a TP-LINK TL-WA83ORE but don't want to waste money if I'm being too optimistic. The total distance I need to cover is 20m including 1 6" solid internal wall and 2 external walls, once of which probably has alufoil backed polystyrene.

Advertisement