Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Do you know what your bloodtype is?" and other questions you dont know the answer to

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

I'm O+, as for questions I dont know the answer to....

Do all people see colour the same way? For example, grass is green and the sky is Blue, but you cant actually describe green or blue, there just the names youre taught growing up. What you see is your brains represention of reflecting light, so is it possible that what I see as Red, somebody else would see as what (to me) blue looks like?

Sticking with colour, how do they add colour to something? For example paint, or clothes. These materials are exactly the same except for their colour. But the colour we see is actually just how quickly the light reflects off of a surface, materials dont actually 'have' a colour. So how can they change the colour without changing the material?

How do deaf people tell the difference between yawning and screaming?

If you scale up a hydrogen atom (1 proton, 1 electron) so that the proton was roughly the size of a dinner plate, the electron that orbits that proton would be roughly 8 miles away! How the fcuk does the gravity of a dinner plate hold a speeding object 8 miles away!!!

20100108063328!Exploding-head.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

O+ the most common, I can only recieve from other O groups.
    Anyway, I can't donate blood due to all the medications and whatnot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am B+ and have donated blood in Germany and the States but am not allowed to donate here because I have got Psoriasis on my elbows :confused:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Here's some answers...
    Sticking with colour, how do they add colour to something? For example paint, or clothes. These materials are exactly the same except for their colour. But the colour we see is actually just how quickly the light reflects off of a surface, materials dont actually 'have' a colour. So how can they change the colour without changing the material?

It's more to do with which wavelengths of light are absorbed / scattered by the object, so something that's red absorbs or scatters all wavelengths (colours) of light and only reflects the red.
    If you scale up a hydrogen atom (1 proton, 1 electron) so that the proton was roughly the size of a dinner plate, the electron that orbits that proton would be roughly 8 miles away! How the fcuk does the gravity of a dinner plate hold a speeding object 8 miles away!!!

It's not gravity, it's the electromagnetic force.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Gravity doesn't apply in an atom, instead the electron is held by electromagnetism, which is far stronger than the force of gravity.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

B+ for me.

Why are horrible and terrible synonyms, but horrific and terrific antonyms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Wold love to give blood in Ireland, but cant as im English, cjd and all that. Mind you, been here 18 years, thought cjd might have shown by now.

But the main question is, is my GF shagging my best mate:eek:? If so, why hasnt he told me how he rates her in bed :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Columbia wrote: »
    B+ for me.

Why are horrible and terrible synonyms, but horrific and terrific antonyms?

I think it comes from the late 18th century Romantic/Gothic movements, when words like "horror" and especially "awe" and "terror" were ambiguous and could have positive or negative connotations.

To be awestruck or terrified could be paralysing, but it was also considered to raise the mind to a new heightened stage of awareness.

Over time "horror" and "terror" came to be used exclusively in a negative sense, with "awe" usually being positive.

The hangover of that is we now have words that come from the same source but have opposite meanings, like the ones you mentioned above, or "awesome" and "awful" which now are antonyms, but could have been used interchangeably in the Romantic era.

"Terrible" and "terrific" is another good example.

I'm not entirely sure what my blood type is, but because I lived in England during the height of the BSE crisis, I can't give blood in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Dont know what blood type I am and can't donate because Im always anaemic..
    Must try again so that I can find out, this thread has made me curious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Rhesus B neg

I'm another that can't give blood here as I was in UK at height of mad cow disease. Shame as I always gave blood in the UK.

My question..... Why don't they run a test for CJD? They check for HIV, Hepatitis, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

O+

I also can't donate blood here because I lived in the UK during a certain period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭SurferRosa

A negative - found out after donating blood.
    The worst so far about being a woman with negative blood, is that if the father of your children is postive, (as my husband is), then you will need to have a painful injection in the bum, after the birth of your kids (if they are rhesus positive - which mine are), so that your body doesn't create antibodies that would potentially attack your next fetus.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

I had this conversation with my mother last weekend. I have the most common bloodtype and she has the rarest but I can't for the life of me remember what they are. :o

i duno
    i havent gotten around to giving blood

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I haven't got a clue, but I really should seeing as I have gotten so much blood taken in the past year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

No idea but I recently gave blood for the first time so I'll know once I get my little card out in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    What other questions should you know the answer to but dont?

Where does dust come from? I know I should know,but I just don't get it.

Also,how the hell do spiders find their way into my house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

no idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭opti76

AB neg only 1 in 167 people have it .. local blood bank have my phone number ...

im special

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Blood type A Neg - I knew all about it last time I had a baby and you have to get big nasty injections when you have Rh negative blood to protect future pregnancies.

A tracker mortgage is the ECB base rate + a marginal percentage that is usually less than the average market variable rate. When I got my mortgage 3.5 years ago I wanted to go on a fixed rate but the broker made a mistake on the forms and put me down for a tracker and I've been reaping the benefits ever since :D Mortgage started out at about €1200 per month in June 2008 and now its approx €670 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Ironic how this came up! Getting my tonsils out next week and was asked to get an FBC for my blood group. So went out to the doctors to get one only to find out she won't know what my blood type is after it?! Find out inside next week anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

A+ ...common as muck, I am.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

opti76 wrote: »
    AB neg only 1 in 167 people have it .. local blood bank have my phone number ...

im special
    We're both speshul as I have it too. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I have acid for blood.

Is it burning away at your little dick? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

O- here. I'm such a giver

How do they get the figs into the fig rolls? :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

A-
    But I have had a few piercings so haven't given blood for nearly two years because they don't want it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bridget84

I found out my blood type because of that blood type diet thing.
    You can order test online here http://www.inhealth.ie/Products/Blood-Group-Test__4071.aspx?gclid=CJWx3922qKwCFcgc4QoddjhI_g

I was hoping to be an O but turned out to be an A.
    Lucky Os are more cancer resistant than unlucky As.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

RachaelVO wrote: »
    I think you're call the Universal Giver, and O+ is the universal receiver!

You're just too generous for your own good Url ;)
    AB+ is universal receiver, can only donate to other AB+ folk. Selfish bastards.

I was thinking that it was incorrect too when I saw that post. I find blood types really interesting. I'm a blood type nerd :o I'm AB+ - tis awesome because I'm rare and speshul. Nah, not really, I've never needed a trasnfusion anyway. I can never give blood either because my iron is always too low. Also, outside of Ireland they think our blood is tainted by mad cow disease so they don't want it!

My Mum is AB too and my Dad isn't sure. He told me one day that he though was O but I told him if he wasn't either A or B then he wasn't actually my father. He hasn't said it since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

B+, but no one ever wants my blood because of the places I travel to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The doctor says my blood type is HIV+. Apparently it's quite common these days.

I don't know what my PPS number is, nor my bank account details. And for some reason, after 11 years, I can still can't remember the first 4 digits on my credit card.

Oh, and I don't know where Wally is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

O+ I only found out when I was pregnant. This thread just reminded me I should give blood. Can you just walk in or do you need an appointment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭smck99

My blood type is IB positive......IB positive they aint stickin no needle in me!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

ziggy23 wrote: »
    O+ I only found out when I was pregnant. This thread just reminded me I should give blood. Can you just walk in or do you need an appointment?

You can just walk in - where are you based? They have two permanent clinics in Dublin (D'Olier Street and Stillorgan).

I'm O+, so is my (non-identical) twin brother, and both my parents. Myself and my brother give blood every 90 days, usually in D'Olier street in Dublin!
    O+ may be 'bog standard' in Ireland but because it's so common, they always need a good supply of it!

Did you know? (From the giveblood.ie website)
    The most common blood group in Ireland is O positive (47% of the population)
    The rarest blood group in Ireland is AB negative (1% of the population)
    The most common blood group is O, accounting for about 46% of the world's population. However, in some areas other blood groups predominate, in Norway for example, type A is the most prevalent
    People in the West of Ireland are predominantly of blood group O
    There is a higher concentration of Group A blood in counties which historically received Viking, Anglo Norman and English population settlements
    There are more people with Rhesus negative blood on the East coast than the West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

You can just walk in - where are you based? They have two permanent clinics in Dublin (D'Olier Street and Stillorgan).

I'm O+, so is my (non-identical) twin brother, and both my parents. Myself and my brother give blood every 90 days, usually in D'Olier street in Dublin!
    O+ may be 'bog standard' in Ireland but because it's so common, they always need a good supply of it!

Did you know? (From the giveblood.ie website)
    The most common blood group in Ireland is O positive (47% of the population)
    The rarest blood group in Ireland is AB negative (1% of the population)
    The most common blood group is O, accounting for about 46% of the world's population. However, in some areas other blood groups predominate, in Norway for example, type A is the most prevalent
    People in the West of Ireland are predominantly of blood group O
    There is a higher concentration of Group A blood in counties which historically received Viking, Anglo Norman and English population settlements
    There are more people with Rhesus negative blood on the East coast than the West

I'll be in town tomorrow so will definitely drop in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

O Rh Positive here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Lustrum

GarH wrote: »
    O Rh Positive here.

Are we related? Or is O Rh Positive just the cool kids blood :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Found out recently that it was O-. Wanted to donate a few years ago (based in the US) but couldn't because of the mad cow thing, still can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CL888

A+ here too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

O Neg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

O Neg here to .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

O neg.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AB+ is universal receiver, can only donate to other AB+ folk. Selfish bastards.
    AB+ is used for babies or something

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm probably wrong, but I think I remember reading that AB+ is the universal donor for platelets (supposedly the opposite way around to blood donation)!
    But even if you have a rare blood type, they'd still be delighted with your blood - I imagine there are very few AB+ blood donors, and blood only has a shelf life of about 4 weeks so they need a constant supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm probably wrong, but I think I remember reading that AB+ is the universal donor for platelets (supposedly the opposite way around to blood donation)!
    But even if you have a rare blood type, they'd still be delighted with your blood - I imagine there are very few AB+ blood donors, and blood only has a shelf life of about 4 weeks so they need a constant supply.

My mum, who is also AB+ used to get called by the blood centre all the time to come in, especially if someone had had an accident or something. This was years and years ago but she was told for serious cases they prefer type specific blood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I don't know what blood type I am. I also don't know what height I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

B-. They told me when I donated. I don't know my exact weight, but I can guess within about 5-6llbs of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

AB+ is a universal donor for blood plasma (blood without any cells or anything in it). Not sure what plasma is used for, I think it's for people with clotting problems and so forth, thins out of the concentration of red blood cells.

O- is the universal donor, that's the one used "for babies". My wife has a number of times gotten pushy phone calls from the IBTS telling her that, "You have to come in, babies need your blood". It's one of the reasons I haven't given blood yet tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

seamus wrote: »
    My wife has a number of times gotten pushy phone calls from the IBTS telling her that, "You have to come in, babies need your blood". It's one of the reasons I haven't given blood yet tbh.

They're like that. Someone I know couldn't give blood any more for medical reasons and when he let them know (so that they'd stop sending him letters) he got a letter back that could only make someone feel like a terrible person for not giving blood any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

O- neg here :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement