Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council want to move on the Occupy Cork participants.

Options
  • 08-11-2011 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

I saw this in todays echo, the council have decided to move them on. I can't find a link. sorry. A friend told me there was a large police presence at the camp last night too

Any one know whats going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Operation repossession.

I can't understand how they have not been moved on before this, if any random group camped down there they'd be moved on, the right to protest does not include the right to effectively doss down on public property.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Brilliant news if its true, sooner they get booted out of there the better

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭warder6161

bloody right boot them out bloody eyesore walked past today about 5 people there and about 20 tents..do they really think they will make a difference tucked away in a corner of south mall !:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭THENORTHSIDER

too right move them on and lets just accept all the crap thats being bestowed on us, not open our mouths about it and ask for more:cool: Pay those that are incompetent more money and give them bigger pensions:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I wonder how long a family of travellers would have lasted if they had pulled up there.
    The right to protest is great but it should be the same rules for everyone, I think they should have been moved after the first night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

too right move them on and lets just accept all the crap thats being bestowed on us, not open our mouths about it and ask for more:cool: Pay those that are incompetent more money and give them bigger pensions:eek:
    It's nothing to do with what what they're protesting about, it's the fact you can't really set up camp for as long as you like in a public area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I would have been all for it if the participants were actual working citizens who actually pay tax but driving past them they all looked like hobos who have never filled a tax form or even know what PAYE is.
    They all obviously have nothing better to do than go camping in the city.

The only way the government is going to listen is if every person in Ireland stops what they are doing and decides enough is enough. But the majority have mouths to feed, mortgages to pay, lifestyles to pay for.

................... who have never filled a tax form or even know what PAYE is. ...............

What's a tax form?

One can be a PAYE worker for years and years without having to fill in one of these tax forms you mention. By definition a PAYE worker isn't self assessed, their tax is paid by their employer using the employees tax credits to decide how much is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

I would have been all for it if the participants were actual working citizens who actually pay tax but driving past them they all looked like hobos who have never filled a tax form or even know what PAYE is.

The only way the government is going to listen is if every person in Ireland stops what they are doing and decides enough is enough. But the majority have mouths to feed, mortgages to pay, lifestyles to pay for.

Couldn't agree more. Most of us couldn't spare the time away from gainful employment (be it PAYE or self assessed), its also very likely that most of us are funding these mis-guided idiots who's protesting isnt going to make a bit of difference:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I really hope they are gone before Friday - I hate to think that they would still be camped there on 11th November as Armistice Day is something that we all should remember and honour those who sacrified their lives for us.

I agree with the posters out there - imagine if we all tried setting up camp in a public place - we'd soon be moved on. There are better ways of protesting or making your point then being an eyesore in a city centre where we are begging for tourism which helps the economy. I view them as a hindrance not a help. They should put pen to paper, write to their TD's and Councillors, newspapers, phone in radio lines, or organise proper rallies - if they want to be a voice - that's the way to be heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Any tents not occupied are litter and should be removed. I would be in favour of the Council visiting the site at 3am to check the occupants are OK and removing any and all empty tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭badgerbaiter

Lazy good for nothings!
    How many have been dossing there yet stil claiming dole and benifits as if theyre at home looking for work?
    Im more annoyed at the wasters in this country than the so called "1%"
    get rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Plebian

Don't be so silly. Sure there are students or unemployed involved. So what? I know may who are recently unemployed and worked in construction. Others finish their security shift and go down to help at night. During the weekend, those working midweek are there for a few hours. There's a mix of people and backgrounds involved.

I've gone to the public assembly after work at 6 and the atmosphere is great. While the talks and lectures are educational. No electoralist politicians around too, who you vote in once every 5 years to represent...and eventually repress you like the Greens and the "new" government enacting the very same policies as the last.

The occupy movement is a global reaction to the lack of democracy and the bank bailouts to those who caused the economic crisis. It is more powerful than similar in the sixties as it is working in tandem with workers, both here and globally. I's also syncing into the household tax campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

warder6161 wrote: »
    bloody right boot them out bloody eyesore walked past today about 5 people there and about 20 tents..do they really think they will make a difference tucked away in a corner of south mall !:mad:

How Irish of you

RoverJames wrote: »
    What's a tax form?

One can be a PAYE worker for years and years without having to fill in one of these tax forms you mention. By definition a PAYE worker isn't self assessed, their tax is paid by their employer using the employees tax credits to decide how much is paid.

I'd really appreciate it if you didn't reply to any of my posts. thankyou.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Differing ideologies aside, fair play to them for moving without a fuss, and acknowledging it's a public place for use by whatever other percentage needs it. Though I must admit I was looking forward to seeing the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You're welcome.

Report them if you think they are problematic or inappropriate, I'll reply to any post I want to to be honest. If you don't want me or anyone else to reply to a post of yours best thing to do is not to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Lazy good for nothings!
    How many have been dossing there yet stil claiming dole and benifits as if theyre at home looking for work?
    Im more annoyed at the wasters in this country than the so called "1%"
    get rid of them

These days there is only so long you can spend in a day looking for work before you realise there is none.

We're going back to a time when there are no longer enough jobs for everyone. Past few decades you were either employed or a scrounger. You see even when times were good there were tons of relatively closed off 'poor countries' where people just sat on their arse or tried to grow some food to get by, those countries have since opened up and first world countries are outsourcing to them for cheap labour. We might never again see 95%+ employment

"Creating jobs" is not an option either. There are already too many jobs for the boys schemes running with the intent of squeezing more money out of the increasingly marginalised middle class. Take BER certification and Septic tank inspection for example, both industries created from scratch to give a few lads jobs and ordinary folk are being made pay to keep them afloat, a sort of glorified dole really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

eth0 wrote: »
    "Creating jobs" is not an option either.

For some reason this reminds me of the billboards during the last general election which said: "Lets get the country working". Anyone remember that?

What the fúck were 80-90% of the country doing during this recession if they weren't working?!

RoverJames wrote: »
    Report them if you think they are problematic or inappropriate, I'll reply to any post I want to to be honest. If you don't want me or anyone else to reply to a post of yours best thing to do is not to post.

They are problematic. You are on boards to just wind people up. If you had any respect, you would respect my wishes. I don't mind anyone replying to any of my posts.. but.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

They are problematic. You are on boards to just wind people up. If you had any respect, you would respect my wishes. I don't mind anyone replying to any of my posts.. but.

Seriously, get over yourself. Your post on not wishing him to respond to you is one of the most childish things I've seen on here. And that's saying something.

He can respond to your posts with his opinion if he likes.
    Same way everyone does.

Seriously, get over yourself. Your post on not wishing him to respond to you is one of the most childish things I've seen on here. And that's saying something.

oh how dramatic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

oh how dramatic :rolleyes:

Rather than asking people not to reply to your post, use the ignore function built into boards.

He can respond to your posts with his opinion if he likes.
    Same way everyone does.

ok. But I beg to differ that he replies like 'everyone else'

ok. But I beg to differ that he replies like 'everyone else'

Please dnt reply to my posts
    thank you..

anyway.,..
    Anyone heard of anymore news on what the council plan to do? It doesnt look like there moving anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭THENORTHSIDER

Hear Hear so right with the country awash with jobs they must be scroungers claiming our taxes.

All I say is fair play if more of us had bottle and stood up to whats gone on in this country then maybe we wouldn't waiting for cuts that will be inflicted on us in Decembers budget.

Just take a little peek at the figures below and wonder how these poor souls survive.

List of Pensions and Payoffs for Cabinet Ministers since 1997 excluding current (2011) sitting TDs and deceased TDs.

Name
    Annual Pension
    Average Life Exp.
    Total expected Pension
    Lump Sum

Bertie Ahern
    €148,000
    €2,960,000
    €160,000

Mary Harney
    €119,800
    €2,515,800
    €243,900

Joe Walsh
    €127,000
    €1,397,000

Sile DeValera
    €31,879
    €733,217

David Andrews
    €52,213
    €208,852

Noel Dempsey
    €111,120
    €2,333,520
    €328,469

Charlie McCreevy
    €126,746
    €2,281,428

Ray Burke
    €109,865
    €1,318,380

Brian Cowen
    €150,000
    €4,200,000
    €166,000

John O'Donoghue
    €128,293
    €3,079,032
    €310,370

Michael Woods
    €111,120
    €333,360
    €328,469

Mary O'Rourke
    €128,293
    €641,465
    €310,370

Dermot Ahern
    €111,120
    €2,555,760
    €328,469

Jim McDaid
    €75,487
    €1,283,279
    €227,000

Michael Smith
    €127,000
    €1,016,000

Frank Fahey
    €53,291
    €1,012,529
    €235,368

Martin Cullen
    €106,500
    €2,343,000
    €219,000

Mary Coughlan
    €130,161
    €4,295,313
    €312,239

Michael McDowell
    €31,013
    €589,247

Mary Hanafin
    €102,364
    €2,763,828
    €250,986

Eamon Ryan
    €49,074
    €1,521,294
    €164,014

John Gormley
    €63,652
    €1,718,604
    €212,274

Batt O'Keeffe
    €94,366
    €1,226,758
    €328,469

Tony Killeen
    €68,984
    €1,379,680
    €276,163

Pat Carey
    €91,603
    €1,374,045
    €240,225

Rory O'Hanlon
    €82,355
    €164,710

Dick Roche
    €94,782
    €1,421,730
    €274,160
    Total

€46,667,831
    €4,915,945
    €51,583,776

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Plebian

excellent reply* by Brian on the councils schenanigans.

What we need is to occupy local neighbourhoods with similar public assemblies (although not outdoor) which can act as a dual-power against the political class

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/11/11/a-message-from-occupy-cork/
    In relation to threat of fines and court action against Occupy CORK….While the threat of possible fines and court action does not particularly scare me, though I am hardly happy either, I do however find it a little bit insulting.

I will leave the rhetoric for another day but consider this, what about the bankers, market speculators, politicians, CEOs’ and others who got our country into such a economical mess as well as creating or enhancing other social issues. Where is the threat to them of fines and court action? Instead some still receive huge pensions and some have been given jobs in state agencies such as NAMA.

To me it seems we should be focused on the real people at fault forthe problems in our countries. Threatening people who oppose the injustices with fines and court action is only likely to infuriate those, whether involved with Occupy Cork or not, who feel there is something unfair and unjust about what has happened to this country.

Brian Houlihan (One of those participating in Occupy Cork)

Advertisement