Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council want to move on the Occupy Cork participants.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Cian92 wrote: »
    A friend told me there was a large police presence at the camp last night too

Wow, would have thought the Guards would deal with it without calling Police in from I presume Britain as that's the closest Police I know off

Sorry OP, just a pet peeve of mine..

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Oh come on - surely 'police presence' is a generic term.

In fact google 'guards' or 'garda' and you'll see that on the google search page the description under the garda website calls it the homepage of "an garda siochana - Ireland's national police service" (and they've presumably signed off on this description).

So if the Gardai are happy to describe themselves as the "national police service" what's wrong with the rest of us using the term 'police presence'?

They are problematic. You are on boards to just wind people up. If you had any respect, you would respect my wishes. I don't mind anyone replying to any of my posts.. but.

report them so and let the mods decide :) or use the ignore function as Owen suggested ;) no news on the tax forms though I take it ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Getting a bit sick of these topics descending into bitching
    Report posts if you have an issue rather than debate them.

Secondly....

RoverJames, you are not a mod. Please leave directing posters on what to do to the mods.
    Also I do not want to see you suggesting to any other posters that they not post on this forum.
    Take a break from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

to add to what Castie just said, use the report post feature, the ignore feature and try to ignore the wind up merchants please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Why is the occupy movement there. This might be something to do with it.

http://www.golemxiv.co.uk/2010/10/who-are-the-bond-holders-we-are-bailing-out/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

393280_10150539953874688_578869687_11522548_1418035534_n.jpg

Its all happening here too:eek:

http://www.ustream.tv/theother99

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

There are bigger eyesores in Cork than the Occupy crowd.

E.g. that Fas building across the river.

If they are not affecting your day to day life, why are you so opposed to their presence?

Threatening them with legal action and fines really is just a bitter paradox and says a lot about the whole situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Actually thats not a FAS building its a government building where space was leased by FAS and now is no longer

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Colloquially known as the Fas Building. The exact ownership of it doesn't change the fact that it's a carbuncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

lol you're right about the eyesore! But FAS gets blamed for everything so just setting the record straight that its the governments responsiblity for the upkeep.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

parsi wrote: »
    Colloquially known as the Fas Building. The exact ownership of it doesn't change the fact that it's a carbuncle.

There was a case to persevere it as an example of brutalist architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Fair play to them for protesting.
    Would be out there with them if I wasnt working. Some people are calling them doleheads but that's nothing compared to there neighbours. The corporate doleheads making a fortune for being incompetent.

Anglo building has to be the worst architectual vandalism you'll ever see.
    A 1970's style glass building next to an old school building like the Market tav. Sums up the property visually. It doesnt fit there ah sure build it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭warder6161

bbam wrote: »
    Wow, would have thought the Guards would deal with it without calling Police in from I presume Britain as that's the closest Police I know off

Sorry OP, just a pet peeve of mine..

guards ! if your that pedantic are they not gardai!

Police officer who was arrested at Zuccotti Park on the 17th speaks about it here:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/18624914

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

For a group of supposedly well educated middle-class people, the Occupy Cork folk come across as incredibly stupid and naive. Have heard several of them interviewed and not once could any of them say what their exact goal or aim was. Are they so stupid to think they will actually achieve anything, that they will make the powers that be sit up and take notice? :rolleyes: All they have achieved is managing to p*ss off the City Council and Electric Bar. Nothing more than a bunch of freeloading wasters with nothing better to do than sit around all week smoking their dope. When they do get up off their asses it's to claim their dole money.

The only way to make this goverment understand (and conversely the politicians througout the EU) is to hit them where it hurts - in the pocket. A total strike by people is the only card to play. Shut down all businesses for one day - the nuclear option would certainly have the desired effect. Marching, camping, and other time-wasting protests are absolutely useless and futuile. They achieve nothing. It's akin to writing a letter of complaint to North Korea authorities over the treatment of its people and expecting a reply. I wish people would realise this!

Advertisement