Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open restaurant on christmas day

Options
  • 08-11-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi

Like the title suggests im trying to find a place to eat on christmas day in navan anything at all will do but its nearly impossible to find anything.

Can any of the boardsies help me out and suggest a place that is open?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Not sure how far you would venture, but The Station House Hotel in Kilmessan are advertising Christmas Day sittings in their restaurant. Give them a ring:
    http://www.stationhousehotel.ie/events/christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

jaysus working on Christmas day they must be getting some money

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Vego wrote: »
    jaysus working on Christmas day they must be getting some money

They get it from the customers, have you seen the prices? In fairness though, if people want to be served meals on Christmas Day, you gotta pay big for it.

If someone asked me to work on christmas day I would tell them where they can insert the turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

If someone asked me to work on christmas day I would tell them where they can insert the turkey

Most of the workers in the station house are from overseas so Xmas day is not a big deal to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Most hotel restaurants would be open I would imagine?!?

chewed wrote: »
    Most of the workers in the station house are from overseas so Xmas day is not a big deal to them.

I wouldnt know >>>but lets say 40 % were polish for example Christmas is a massive thing for a mainly catholic country ...I know most of my work the eastern europeans have booked around christmas weeks off before or after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

That's true. Christmas is only celebrated in Ireland after all.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    That's true. Christmas is only celebrated in Ireland after all.

If you read my post, I said Christmas DAY (dec 25th) was not a big deal to a lot of the overseas workers! E.g. In Russia they celebrate it in January. And in Lithuania, Dec 24th is their Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tweenie

My sil is Latvian and gets stuck to work EVERY christmas. She thinks its because she has no children that she is always rostered. BUT she would prefer to be off

• Advertisement

as far as I know ...no one can make you work christmas day but I suppose if she refuses her shifts would be cut etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Chinese Restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

as far as I know ...no one can make you work christmas day but I suppose if she refuses her shifts would be cut etc

Unless its in your contract you have to work whenever your employer says.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

PauloMN wrote: »
    Not sure how far you would venture, but The Station House Hotel in Kilmessan are advertising Christmas Day sittings in their restaurant. Give them a ring:
    http://www.stationhousehotel.ie/events/christmas

I went there for dinner one christmas about 3 or 4 years ago and it wasn't the may west. €45 for chicken nuggets and chips for the one child that was with us - €80 for a measly starter and some horrible turkey and ham. We were miserable leaving and vowed never to go out for dinner again, even if it meant just having a cooked chicken in the fridge or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭INCONFIDENCE

Try the Valley Cafe for a memorable Chrismas Cod and Chips

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

jenizzle wrote: »
    I went there for dinner one christmas about 3 or 4 years ago and it wasn't the may west. €45 for chicken nuggets and chips for the one child that was with us - €80 for a measly starter and some horrible turkey and ham. We were miserable leaving and vowed never to go out for dinner again, even if it meant just having a cooked chicken in the fridge or the likes.

We had a terrible ordeal there one Mother's Day about 9 years ago - so bad we were actually upset & angry leaving. Apart from the place being overbooked, we were rammed in at a completely inappropriate table despite me ringing ahead and letting them know we would have a wheelchair with us. The waitress snapped the head off me twice, threw the menus on the table, dribbled gravy off a dirty plate from the last patrons on my Mum's clothes and then blamed me for her wheelchair being in the way of the door. My Mum ended up crying with embarrasment, my 2 sisters started to bicker and one of them & her husband left before we even got a chance to order. All this in the first 45mins.
    We stuck it out as my other sis's kids were starving and the food eventually arrived. We just ate it as quickly as we could to get out of the place. I know we should have left earlier but Mum was too upset to go out past other customers.
    When I complained to the owner he told me with all the smugness he could muster that no-one else complained and our waitress was one of his most complimented staff. At this point I almost lost it and told him I had been considering the venue for my wedding and that he could forget it now - total attitude change - so sorry, please let me give you a voucher to bring your Mum back - I politely asked him not to insult me any further and we left.
    It's a shame really - O/H's family had been loyal customers there for years and none of us have been back.

washiskin wrote: »
    We had a terrible ordeal there one Mother's Day about 9 years ago - so bad we were actually upset & angry leaving. Apart from the place being overbooked, we were rammed in at a completely inappropriate table despite me ringing ahead and letting them know we would have a wheelchair with us. The waitress snapped the head off me twice, threw the menus on the table, dribbled gravy off a dirty plate from the last patrons on my Mum's clothes and then blamed me for her wheelchair being in the way of the door. My Mum ended up crying with embarrasment, my 2 sisters started to bicker and one of them & her husband left before we even got a chance to order. All this in the first 45mins.
    We stuck it out as my other sis's kids were starving and the food eventually arrived. We just ate it as quickly as we could to get out of the place. I know we should have left earlier but Mum was too upset to go out past other customers.
    When I complained to the owner he told me with all the smugness he could muster that no-one else complained and our waitress was one of his most complimented staff. At this point I almost lost it and told him I had been considering the venue for my wedding and that he could forget it now - total attitude change - so sorry, please let me give you a voucher to bring your Mum back - I politely asked him not to insult me any further and we left.
    It's a shame really - O/H's family had been loyal customers there for years and none of us have been back.

I hope you put this up on Trip Advisor or Menu Pages.ie. It's important that people's complaints are up on these sites for everyone to see. I have also had bad experiences in the SH, but not as bad as you've described.

It's so typically Irish to say "...well no one else complained!" Drives me nuts!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Had xmas dinner there in the Station House many years ago. Don't remember it being too bad but way overpriced. Had a meal there a few times since and it was very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

kc66 wrote: »
    Unless its in your contract you have to work whenever your employer says.

Last time I checked my watch it indicated that the 19th century had past a good while ago...

Advertisement