Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your book buying limit?

Options
  • 08-11-2011 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Ive often found that i buy books too often and they sit around the house collecting dust.

The question is....is there a minimum ammount of books one would buy per month (generally in the same bookshop)? Or if shopping around is the case with so many bargins these days would it be more auspicable to buy books chosen beforehand (through catalouges,internet word-of-mouth) every weekend.

Im not a great reader and find the books I handle, are more current standing than the classics. I miss out on literature with themes(eg.frankenstien,dracula,gullervours travels) that have a stronger standing than some current tat about nowadays. So it would be a great help if i was pointed at a bookshop which would make do.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I don't really limit myself. I go through books quite fast (190 so far this year) so they don't get much of a chance to lie around the house before I read them. I'll usually buy a book when I see it for cheaper than usual. After I've read the books, if I liked them, they stay on my bookshelf. If I don't like them, I sell them.

For newer (but secondhand) books, I use Vibes and Scribes in Cork city. For very new books I just use my local bookshop. For classics I use my ereader and get the hundreds of free public domain ones. I also make great use of my local library.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I generally get two a week, I'm in Cork too so I would get them second hand in Vibes and Scribes. I really like that shop, it's got a nice relaxing atmosphere and I enjoy spending some time looking around. I like to support them so even though I do have a lot to read, I will always drop a tenner in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

For books that I really want I buy them off the places like amazon, and would generally buy 5-10 at a time.I usually take a trip to my local charity shop once a week and would buy 3/4 books for 1e ea. These are usually the easy read books. I always have a stack of books which is sometimes a bad thing as if I'm not too into a book, ill give up on it quicker if I have more to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭eire4

I generally have bought 4 books at a pop every time I am on to my last unread book. No idea why I settled on 4 but that has worked out fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

I buy at least 2 a week, which i read fairly quickly, I try and recycle them and donate those I won't read again to the local charity shop but I always end up buying loads there again bring home probably more than I brought up.
    I sometimes buy second hand books from Amazon usually for less than 5cents but with postage it can cost up to about 4.50€- still ok tho.

I have a question tho if no one minds...?
    Those with an Ereader do you still buy a lot of physical books?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I don't really buy books anymore. I work in a library so it seems a bit silly for me to buy them.

My mother, however, goes through books like water. She usually buys 3 a week. She also uses a library a lot but doesn't have my patience when it comes to waiting for a new title to become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

I don't have a limit, either...
    I usually don't go to bookstores unless I am through all the ones I wanted to read, though (which usually is the case, anyway, since I read pretty fast, hehe), but if I do I buy whatever I think I might like. :)
    I buy lots of books over the year...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

I don't really have a limit, but I wouldn't be spending €20 for one book or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

I tend to mainly buy my next book when I'm halfway through my current read. Amazon or ebay usually with an occasional visit to the secondhand bookshop at the top of my street (I used to use this more often but they are only open on certain days now, unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I have 45 books in a pile waiting to be read. That's at least 4 or 5 months worth of reading for me. I don't have a limit on the amount of book I buy at a time. I know I'll eventually get through them all. I do how a limit on the amount of money I'd spend on a book however. About €7 is the most I'd ever spend on one book. I mostly shop online, and in Chapters in town and a few good secondhand and bargain bookshops I've found. I never shop in Easons anymore -- their books are way over my price limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    I have 45 books in a pile waiting to be read. That's at least 4 or 5 months worth of reading for me. I don't have a limit on the amount of book I buy at a time. I know I'll eventually get through them all. I do how a limit on the amount of money I'd spend on a book however. About €7 is the most I'd ever spend on one book. I mostly shop online, and in Chapters in town and a few good secondhand and bargain bookshops I've found. I never shop in Easons anymore -- their books are way over my price limit.

7 Euro?
    That's really little...
    My fav paperbacks cost about 9 Euro each and that's only paperbacks and I bought them online, I usually buy hardcovers, though... kind of a collector when it comes to books :) I just love to see them there on the shelves, being pretty, hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭petecork

kickarykee wrote: »
    7 Euro?
    That's really little...
    My fav paperbacks cost about 9 Euro each and that's only paperbacks and I bought them online, I usually buy hardcovers, though... kind of a collector when it comes to books :) I just love to see them there on the shelves, being pretty, hehe.

I'm the same, usually up to 7.50 per book. do you check prices on different websites or just buy immediately? I usually buy from the book depository or amazon, but wait until the book is reduced if possible

eg
    An Idiot Abroad : The Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington

is 57% off at the moment, and if you keep a book in your wishlist, you'll usually find they'll reduce the price, sometimes just for 24 hours, but thats the time to buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 aodh90

there are certain books that money would not be an issue at all; the works of james joyce and dante i would have payed any amount of money for after a taster...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd try personally to achieve a balance in buying books: between amount purchased:read. I'll never get a 1:1 ratio, but the aim is to kept it about 1:2/3.
    I'm also a fan of Cork's Vibes and Scribes.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

I get to Cork a couple times a year.
    Where exactly is Vibes and Scribes located?
    Do any of you remember The Bookmart in Washington Street years ago?

Advertisement