Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The End of JoePa in Penn State

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

themont85 wrote: »
    Jesus now that is harsh.

"Suspension of football operations for one year", what does that mean?

I presume that would mean, no games, no practices, no nothing football related for one year. If the rumours are true, I'd say most of us will be OAPs before Penn State returns back to anything resembling their former glory.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

ESPN reporting no Death Penalty:

"NCAA president Mark Emmert has decided to punish Penn State with severe penalties likely to include a significant loss of scholarships, multiple bowls financial penalties, sources close to the decision have told ESPN's Joe Schad.

But Penn State will not receive the so-called "death penalty" that would have suspended the program for at least one year, a source said Sunday."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8188629/penn-state-nittany-lions-not-facing-death-penalty-monday-ncaa-source-says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

$60 million fine
    4 year postseason ban
    20 Scholarships revoked per year for 4 years
    All wins vacated from 1998-2011
    Players free to transfer with no eligibility concerns

Holy Shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

60 mill fine is such a killer. Their football programme is crocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

$60 million fine
    4 year postseason ban
    20 Scholarships revoked per year for 4 years
    All wins vacated from 1998-2011
    Players free to transfer with no eligibility concerns

Holy Shít.

Jesus that's some penalty. I was at an SMU game last year and they still talk of the death penalty destroying the program and it's pretty sure that this will have pretty much the same effect on Penn State. There is no chance of them being competitive for at least ten years in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,450 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I fail to see how crippling the Penn State football program is the right decision here. BYU, USC, NC etc. were punished because their actions gave their program an unfair advantage over others. This is entirely different. I dont think a message needs to be sent, I'm pretty sure other universities already know not to harbor a child molester. I suppose this was all done to protect the reputation of the football program but it's sad that promising coaches and young players' careers will be destroyed because of the actions of others. You'd think there would be sanctions beyond bowl bans and scholarship stripping for such a crime. From the sounds of things, the announcement today is going to effectively be worse than the death penalty.

But do they ?

Penn State obviously did not, and it's not as if we are talking about something that happened in the distant past when attitudes to such crimes may have been different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

one year gross income from their football program. that's gonna hurt...

they're gonna pay it over 5 years, seems they can afford to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

Reading some comments about this, some say the NCAA have gone too far, some say not far enough and others say they got it just about right. So basically, every possible opinion is covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Dodge wrote: »
    Typical head in the stand stuff form the NCAA too. Will ban a kid for selling his jersey or swapping it for a tattoo

But cover up a paedophile and a) say nothing and b) allow him to do what he wants

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8191027/penn-state-hit-60-million-fine-4-year-bowl-ban-wins-dating-1998

The NCAA has hit Penn State with a $60 million sanction, a four-year football postseason ban and a vacation of all wins dating to 1998, the organization announced Monday morning in a news release.

"These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university," the statement said.

The career record of former head football coach Joe Paterno will reflect these vacated records, the statement continued.

Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period, the release said.

I think you might want to re-phrase your original comments.

To be honest, I still think that Penn State is getting off easy. I do feel for the kids who will be playing for the University over the course of their NCAA careers, because they will pay for the sins of the University. I can't imagine what sort of reaction they will get on the road over the next several seasons.

The 'Death Penalty' would probably have been humane in the long run.

Penn State is one of the highest grossing teams in the NCAA. Last season they raked in $53 million. They also had the 2nd highest fund raising totals in their history in the past six months.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2012/07/10/alumni_fundraising_second_highest_in_history.aspx

The Penn State Division of Development and Alumni Relations released its fundraising numbers for the previous fiscal year on Monday, revealing that more than $208 million was donated by “alumni and friends” of Penn State.

• Advertisement

@SigmundBloom: crux of the case RT @John_Infante
    NCAA’s consent decree goes further than cover-up, says PSU football also helped Sandusky attract victims.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Penn State is one of the highest grossing teams in the NCAA. Last season they raked in $53 million. They also had the 2nd highest fund raising totals in their history in the past six months.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2012/07/10/alumni_fundraising_second_highest_in_history.aspx

The Penn State Division of Development and Alumni Relations released its fundraising numbers for the previous fiscal year on Monday, revealing that more than $208 million was donated by “alumni and friends” of Penn State.

Good luck making close to that money with no post season for the next 4 years added to what will be an awful team.

This has to rank as the biggest punishment ever handed down to a sporting organization in the world surely?

Stev_o wrote: »
    Good luck making close to that money with no post season for the next 4 years added to what will be an awful team.

This has to rank as the biggest punishment ever handed down to a sporting organization in the world surely?

Bowl Money actually goes to the conferences, who then distribute it among their teams so unless the Big Ten impose their own sanction of withholding the money from Penn State, nothing will change there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

How long will it take Penn St to recover from this, 20 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Jesus now that is harsh.

No it's not, I think they got it spot on. Winning at all costs must not be tolerated. Paterno turned a blind eye and finally fell on his own sword. Thankfully they took down his statue on Sunday, which was long overdue imo. This really sends out a powerful message and rightly so.

How about this for coincidence.

The vacated wins from 1998 to 2011 means the last Penn State quarterback to have officially won a game for PSU is....
    ...Mike McQueary.

TaosHum wrote: »
    How long will it take Penn St to recover from this, 20 years?

Does it matter if the football program ever recovers ?

The people who blindly followed the 'Church of Pa'still can't see that he (and the University) have failed miserably in protecting those children at the sake of the reputation of the football program.

There is an incredibly vile cliche that will rear it's ugly head in the very near future. It will be how 'the healing will begin' once the Penn State football begins 'winning'. Trust me when I say that you will hear this statement uttered. The healing will begin when these people realize that their 'Saturday entertainment' was put before the safety and well being of children.

I don't think these people will ever 'recover'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

It might not be a Death penalty, its a big school and if you look at USC it seems their penalty has been water off a ducks back. But the real victims here, as usual, are the student athletes. This issue has been up in the air for about 9 months and to wait until late july to tell these kids their sporting futures are crocked is disgraceful IMO. Everyone, particularly the media are acting like the victims of this, with faux outrage. But the actual victims are now some of the guys who have been directly affected by all this. Now they are being punished again.

davyjose wrote: »
    It might not be a Death penalty, its a big school and if you look at USC it seems their penalty has been water off a ducks back. But the real victims here, as usual, are the student athletes. This issue has been up in the air for about 9 months and to wait until late july to tell these kids their sporting futures are crocked is disgraceful IMO. Everyone, particularly the media are acting like the victims of this, with faux outrage. But the actual victims are now some of the guys who have been directly affected by all this. Now they are being punished again.

they can move to another school with no restrictions. In fairness the NCAA have done their best to look out for the athletes in this situation imo.

• Advertisement

WOW. The football players are 'the real victims' ? Really poor choice of words.

The football players are all free to transfer without having to sit out a year. If the only reason that they are at Penn State is to play football then it doesn't matter which University they attend.

WOW. The football players are 'the real victims' ? Really poor choice of words.

The football players are all free to transfer without having to sit out a year. If the only reason that they are at Penn State is to play football then it doesn't matter which University they attend.

i guess some people dont want the facts to get in the way of a good argument hey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Really it hurts the whole university, even the academic side.

Oh ffs, Davy clearly meant the players were the real victims of this punishment.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Really it hurts the whole university, even the academic side.

As far as 'collateral damage', think about what this scandal has done to the value of a Penn State degree. Imagine what it must be like to go into an interview with Penn State on your CV at the moment.

The incoming freshman class knows exactly what this University has done. I don't feel sorry for any of them.

Oh ffs, Davy clearly meant the players were the real victims of this punishment.

Huh?

• Advertisement

Allow me to clarify: The kids that were abused were kids placed in the hands of Penn state. They were under the care of Penn state officials, left alone in the locker rooms with sandusky, etc.

My point is: the current football players (while older, and not actual victims), are the ones being punished. why should they suffer because the very same people they put their welfare in the hands of commited such gruesome acts of abuse and negligence?

they can move to another school with no restrictions. In fairness the NCAA have done their best to look out for the athletes in this situation imo.

In late July? This ruling could have been made the moment Sandusky was arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

As far as 'collateral damage', think about what this scandal has done to the value of a Penn State degree. Imagine what it must be like to go into an interview with Penn State on your CV at the moment.

The incoming freshman class knows exactly what this University has done. I don't feel sorry for any of them.

Not sure it would make any difference, unless the interviewer was really dumb tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

EQJUO.png

They got off lighter than they deserved imo.

• Advertisement

You know this is big news when, for the first time ever, college football is mentioned on Sky Sports News :eek:

Allow me to clarify: The kids that were abused were kids placed in the hands of Penn state. They were under the care of Penn state officials, left alone in the locker rooms with sandusky, etc.

My point is: the current football players (while older, and not actual victims), are the ones being punished. why should they suffer because the very same people they put their welfare in the hands of commited such gruesome acts of abuse and negligence?

If anything, the NCAA is allowing them to finish their degrees, football careers elsewhere. That could be the biggest gift that any of them ever receive in life. They can walk away from this mess and start fresh.

My question is 'why would any self respecting human being with a conscience want to pull on a Penn State football jersey?'.

My question is 'why would any self respecting human being with a conscience want to pull on a Penn State football jersey?'.

That's an astonishingly and disgustingly short sighted and ignorant view of things.

Nope. What is being punished here is the rabid Penn State Football culture that helped to create an atmosphere where such decisions could be made in the interests of not rocking the boat and hurting the football program. The culture that defended Joe Paterno and professed it's love for PSU even as the revelations became ever more sickening. The culture that will see thousands of people pay through the turnstiles to watch PSU play in Happy Valley next chance they get.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE LET'S FOOTBALL

The players can transfer or stay and play, whatever. But this program, the culture of Joe Paterno and Penn State has had its back broken - and it is the very least it deserves. It should have been ground into the dust.

This puts it better than I ever could:

Really is a sad day.
    There's just no solution here.

I think if the PSU cultists hadn't acted so cult-like, the penalties wouldn't be what we are hearing. Everytime I think the penalties are too much or punishing the wrong people, I read the comments section and have to be reminded that a significantly greater than zero amount of the PSU fanbase still doesn't get it. It's clinging to the old image of JoePa and their program that's bringing forth the hammer, IMO. If there was a lot of contrition, a lot of my bad, and so forth, I think everyone would move on. Fighting tooth and nail to protect the legacy of a child predator enabler makes me lust for some pain for the fanbase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,028 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Nope. What is being punished here is the rabid Penn State Football culture that helped to create an atmosphere where such decisions could be made in the interests of not rocking the boat and hurting the football program. The culture that defended Joe Paterno and professed it's love for PSU even as the revelations became ever more sickening. The culture that will see thousands of people pay through the turnstiles to watch PSU play in Happy Valley next chance they get.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE LET'S FOOTBALL

The players can transfer or stay and play, whatever. But this program, the culture of Joe Paterno and Penn State has had its back broken - and it is the very least it deserves. It should have been ground into the dust.
    No you have this all wrong. The whole college has been punished. The athletics, baseball, wrestling etc. programs have all been punished as a result of the reduction in scholarships.

The kids from poor backgrounds who have scholarships have to stay there in a very uncompetitive school. Yeah they are free to transfer to other schools but thats as walkons and a lot of them cannot afford to go to college without a scholarship. And there will be 10 less students getting scholarships each year which means that some kids who cannot afford to go to college will lose out.

The people that should be getting punished here are the ones that covered this up and not the young kids who weren't there then and had no part in this. But the kids are getting punished here and not the managers and administrators.

And as far as the football program is concerned, the Nittany Lions are one of the most well supported teams in college football. They will come back from this and people love to see a comeback story. There is the potential there now for them to become even more popular in a couple of years than they ever were.

eagle eye wrote: »
    And as far as the football program is concerned, the Nittany Lions are one of the most well supported teams in college football. They will come back from this and people love to see a comeback story. There is the potential there now for them to become even more popular in a couple of years than they ever were.

I'm going to deal with your last paragraph first because it is astoundingly incorrect:

Kids in the 4th grade now will be starting in college the first year Penn State is fully restored to 85 scholarships. This program is going to be one of the worst D1 schools period for the next five years. They will have no prime time TV slots for over a half decade, and it might be a full 10 years before they could realistically be competitive again - and that is a long time in terms of a program's relevance.

"More popular in a couple of years than they ever were"

?

Not even close. There may very well be a feel good story of renewal and regrowth, but it is a decade away and the cult of PSU will have vanished forever.
    No you have this all wrong. The whole college has been punished. The athletics, baseball, wrestling etc. programs have all been punished as a result of the reduction in scholarships.

The kids from poor backgrounds who have scholarships have to stay there in a very uncompetitive school. Yeah they are free to transfer to other schools but thats as walkons and a lot of them cannot afford to go to college without a scholarship. And there will be 10 less students getting scholarships each year which means that some kids who cannot afford to go to college will lose out.

The NCAA has suspended a number of rules regarding transfers:

- no loss of eligibility;
    - suspension of normal rules regarding approach of committed student athletes;
    - new rules allowing schools that take on PSU transfers to exceed scholarship limitations for this season with the proviso that they hit normal numbers by this time next year;

Players can up sticks and transfer and they will receive a full scholarship elsewhere if they do so.

As for the bolded, they just go to school elsewhere!
    The people that should be getting punished here are the ones that covered this up and not the young kids who weren't there then and had no part in this. But the kids are getting punished here and not the managers and administrators.

The ones who covered this up did so because they felt winning was worth overlooking the repeated sexual abuse of defenceless kids. When winning means so much, this punishment hits them right in the jaw. For everyone obsessed with Joe Pa's winning record, for everyone so blinded by the "WE ARE PSU" nonsense that they could facilitate this horrifying behaviour.

The current students rioted last year when Joe Pa was forced to resign. They have defended him stoutly, protested at the removal of statues etc, etc. This is their wake up call, and it is NECESSARY that they receive this punishment to jolt them back to reality.

Everyone involved with Penn State is taking a beating here, because their records and their Big 10 titles and bowl games are gone for the next decade. They are being forced to reflect on where PSU football should properly rest in terms of priorities, and all through out this saga they have demonstrated an inability to do this of their own accord.

Also, I must confess that I find 'but what about the current kids' strand of opinion extremely distasteful - what about the now grown kids abused time and time again via the PSU Football program? I know there is no malice in people saying this, it's a simple way to break things down, but the above post does speak of a focus on the footballing effects of today's decision. This case is so much more important than the footballing fortunes of the current PSU roster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

The NCAA has suspended a number of rules regarding transfers:

- no loss of eligibility;
    - suspension of normal rules regarding approach of committed student athletes;
    - new rules allowing schools that take on PSU transfers to exceed scholarship limitations for this season with the proviso that they hit normal numbers by this time next year;

Players can up sticks and transfer and they will receive a full scholarship elsewhere if they do so.

All of the above is fantastic if these kids can find schools willing to take them on and honour their scholarships. Some of these kids might not get the opportunity to transfer to another D1 program who will want them and in some cases might have to settle for lower programs where scholarships are not available to the schools in the first place and where the kids pay for themselves.

The stupid thing is so many people are looking at the "Owe they can transfer out" too easy. Its not as easy as people make out and many kids will fall to the wayside in this. Are the NCAA going to help these kids find new schools and football programs willing to take them on? Not a chance.

Now having said that PSU deserve everything they got and more. And the idiots standing by Paterno and the school and just that idiots including a couple of friends of mine. Out of the 5 I know who are alumni 2 of them are brainwashed by the legend of the man.

By the way, if the kids have to stay and play out a couple of losing seasons they still get their education right? Hardly a disaster.

Also, I must confess that I find 'but what about the current kids' strand of opinion extremely distasteful - what about the now grown kids abused time and time again via the PSU Football program?

And do you honestly think they are now thinking "Well jeez, thank God Penn State won't play in a bowl game anytime soon. That makes me feel an awful lot better."...?

Eagle Eye is right, the wrong people have been punished here. Sandusky aside, the Freeh Report assigned the blame to four men - Graham Spanier (President), Gary Schultz (Vice President), Tim Curley (Athletic Director) and Joe Paterno.

Sandusky has been exposed as the disgusting monster he is. He will die in a prison cell, wearing an orange jumpsuit all by himself.

Joe Paterno is dead. Fired from his job, his reputation is forever destroyed and his legacy stripped. You won't find his name anywhere on a campus where he was employed for over 60 years. Today's sanctions remove his name from every NCAA record he had achieved.

Gary Schultz has been fired and is awaiting trial for perjury. He will serve a prison sentence.

Tim Curley, has been fired, and is awaiting trial for perjury. He also will end up in prison.

Spanier has been forced to resign and will never work in the education system again.

These are the people at fault here, and they haven't been punished anywhere near as much as they should be. Tell me this - how does Penn State losing 20 scholarships and bowl games affect any of the above 5 individuals? How does it punish them in any slight way for the wrongs they have committed?

It's simple - it doesn't. Today's announcement will not impact them in any way whatsoever. But who it will impact are coaches like Bill O'Brien, who left what some would call the cushiest OC job in the NFL to take on his first Head Coaching role in his career. How about young players like Jordan Hill who has worked his ass off for 3 years to finally have a chance at being the man on defence, now knowing he won't play in a bowl game for the rest of his collegiate career? Not to mention all the players who will take up the option of uprooting their lives to move college, whether that be to play in bowl games or to avoid being thought of as somehow linked to a child molester, as small-minded posters such as Rented Mule seem to think. These are kids that are younger than Sandusky's youngest victim, who would have had absolutely no idea what was going on - they probably had no idea they could even play football when Sandusky first raped a child.

A lot of your anger seems to be directed at the fans. I guarantee you the vast majority of them are not rioting anymore (that was well before Paterno was suspected, way before the Freeh report). You will always have a minority of idiots who will still voice stupid opinions.

The wrong people are being punished here. Is it a disgrace? Not entirely, the fine of $60 million to go to various charities is a positive move. Allowing players to transfer if they wish was just and fair. But those who were in the wrong have not been punished at all today.

• Advertisement

It sends out a message that people who act out of order will be punished, but so will the school. Consider it a available life lesson for the kids, your actions have consequences for more people than just yourself so take that into account before you do something stupid. It also be a signal to colleges that they should have system in place were 4 people can't keep something like this in-house.

The way that I look at it is that the NCAA's job is to investigate and punish breaches of NCAA regulations. This was a grievousness breach of of the law and fell into the district of the courts who handed out a reasoned penalty to the primary perpetrator while also having pending cases against other suspects.

The NCAA getting involved in this to such an extent now gives precedent for other cases where schools and coaches look to cover up a case of illegal activity.

Not to belittle this case, obviously I am aware of the seriousness of it, but how does it differ from the Ohio State tattoo case? How would it differ from a case where a star QB is involved in stealing something and his school covered it up?

The answer is that in the eyes of precident it doesn't differ and now the NCAA would be forced to use these severe punishments for any case where a school looks to coverup activities by their football programme

frostie500 wrote: »
    The way that I look at it is that the NCAA's job is to investigate and punish breaches of NCAA regulations. This was a grievousness breach of of the law and fell into the district of the courts who handed out a reasoned penalty to the primary perpetrator while also having pending cases against other suspects.

The NCAA getting involved in this to such an extent now gives precedent for other cases where schools and coaches look to cover up a case of illegal activity.

Not to belittle this case, obviously I am aware of the seriousness of it, but how does it differ from the Ohio State tattoo case? How would it differ from a case where a star QB is involved in stealing something and his school covered it up?

The answer is that in the eyes of precident it doesn't differ and now the NCAA would be forced to use these severe punishments for any case where a school looks to coverup activities by their football programme

This is a good thing, no?

This is a good thing, no?

Is it a good thing if Ohio State had the same penalties for the "tattoo scandal" of last year? That is what the NCAA has left themselves open for. For anyone that doesn't know Jim Tressel, then head coach, was aware that numerous players were involved in a scheme whereby they would exchange their uniforms, bowl rings and other merchandise for tattoos.

The school did not make the NCAA aware of these violations of regulations, just as Penn State didn't alert them to this case, and were later found to have knowingly withheld information from the NCAA.

Do you think that using cases such as the OSU and other examples where schools don't report violations would deserve to be penalised as much as Penn State? In the eyes of the law, and NCAA bylaws, precedent has now been set for cases where schools coverup violations and a respective penalty for the crime has been determined

Really? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

And do you honestly think they are now thinking "Well jeez, thank God Penn State won't play in a bowl game anytime soon. That makes me feel an awful lot better."...?

Eagle Eye is right, the wrong people have been punished here. Sandusky aside, the Freeh Report assigned the blame to four men - Graham Spanier (President), Gary Schultz (Vice President), Tim Curley (Athletic Director) and Joe Paterno.

Sandusky has been exposed as the disgusting monster he is. He will die in a prison cell, wearing an orange jumpsuit all by himself.

Joe Paterno is dead. Fired from his job, his reputation is forever destroyed and his legacy stripped. You won't find his name anywhere on a campus where he was employed for over 60 years. Today's sanctions remove his name from every NCAA record he had achieved.

Gary Schultz has been fired and is awaiting trial for perjury. He will serve a prison sentence.

Tim Curley, has been fired, and is awaiting trial for perjury. He also will end up in prison.

Spanier has been forced to resign and will never work in the education system again.

These are the people at fault here, and they haven't been punished anywhere near as much as they should be. Tell me this - how does Penn State losing 20 scholarships and bowl games affect any of the above 5 individuals? How does it punish them in any slight way for the wrongs they have committed?

It's simple - it doesn't. Today's announcement will not impact them in any way whatsoever. But who it will impact are coaches like Bill O'Brien, who left what some would call the cushiest OC job in the NFL to take on his first Head Coaching role in his career. How about young players like Jordan Hill who has worked his ass off for 3 years to finally have a chance at being the man on defence, now knowing he won't play in a bowl game for the rest of his collegiate career? Not to mention all the players who will take up the option of uprooting their lives to move college, whether that be to play in bowl games or to avoid being thought of as somehow linked to a child molester, as small-minded posters such as Rented Mule seem to think. These are kids that are younger than Sandusky's youngest victim, who would have had absolutely no idea what was going on - they probably had no idea they could even play football when Sandusky first raped a child.

A lot of your anger seems to be directed at the fans. I guarantee you the vast majority of them are not rioting anymore (that was well before Paterno was suspected, way before the Freeh report). You will always have a minority of idiots who will still voice stupid opinions.

The wrong people are being punished here. Is it a disgrace? Not entirely, the fine of $60 million to go to various charities is a positive move. Allowing players to transfer if they wish was just and fair. But those who were in the wrong have not been punished at all today.

Good post JH. Until this post, I thought it was a fair punishment. The thing is though, how could the NCAA have punished them severely enough without touching scholarships and bowl games?

The way I see it, is that this was allowed happen in the Athletic Department, therefore that department has to be punished severely and to do that the NCAA had to take away its ability to compete. Best way of doing that is by taking away the lure of PSU, so that top high school kids wont go there.

I understand that none of the student athletes currently at PSU had anything to do with it, but what else do you do apart from letting them leave on a transfer?

Is it a good thing if Ohio State had the same penalties for the "tattoo scandal" of last year? That is what the NCAA has left themselves open for. For anyone that doesn't know Jim Tressel, then head coach, was aware that numerous players were involved in a scheme whereby they would exchange their uniforms, bowl rings and other merchandise for tattoos.

The school did not make the NCAA aware of these violations of regulations, just as Penn State didn't alert them to this case, and were later found to have knowingly withheld information from the NCAA.

Do you think that using cases such as the OSU and other examples where schools don't report violations would deserve to be penalised as much as Penn State? In the eyes of the law, and NCAA bylaws, precedent has now been set for cases where schools coverup violations and a respective penalty for the crime has been determined

Different violations/rule breaking etc should carry different levels of punishment demanding on the severity of the violation. That should always be the case. A College who sweeps a couple of free tattos under the carpet should not get the same punishment as a College who covers up for a paedophile and gives him a free reign to continue abusing. I surprised this even needs to be explained tbh.

Really? :confused:

As I said earlier the NCAA is not an organisation that can carry out legal proceedings. They can simply punish schools for failing to abide by their charter of agreement to membership. In the eyes of the NCAA now any issue whereby there is a coverup of violations by a school now has a precedent. So therefore they would both be dealt with in the same manner in future.
    Different violations/rule breaking etc should carry different levels of punishment demanding on the severity of the violation. That should always be the case. A College who sweeps a couple of free tattos under the carpet should not get the same punishment as a College who covers up for a paedophile and gives him a free reign to continue abusing. I surprised this even needs to be explained tbh.

Like I said the violation is the same in both cases. The NCAA is not an organisation that can hand out criminal prosecutions they can only hand out punishments based on violations of NCAA regulations. in the Penn State case, as in the OSU example I cited, it would be a failure to report activities of their football team.

The NCAA has now left itself open to any failure to report criminal activities by a player or coach as a punishable offence. I used the others as examples of offences that would now fall in the same domain as this case. There are no "extra ordinary" cases in law there are simply cases and precedent that is set.

The NCAA has now set a precedent and it is not for incidents of child sex abuse it is of instances whereby a school fails to report illegal activities on their campus.

In late July? This ruling could have been made the moment Sandusky was arrested.

it was the Freeh report that the punishment was based on though, it was only released last week.

• Advertisement

Like I said the violation is the same in both cases. The NCAA is not an organisation that can hand out criminal prosecutions they can only hand out punishments based on violations of NCAA regulations. in the Penn State case, as in the OSU example I cited, it would be a failure to report activities of their football team.

The NCAA has now left itself open to any failure to report criminal activities by a player or coach as a punishable offence. I used the others as examples of offences that would now fall in the same domain as this case. There are no "extra ordinary" cases in law there are simply cases and precedent that is set.

The NCAA has now set a precedent and it is not for incidents of child sex abuse it is of instances whereby a school fails to report illegal activities on their campus.

It hasn't really left itself open. The NCAA can administer any punishment they see fit, it doesn't matter if it's as equal as the last on for the previous offence. They have no rules set in stone that say X violation will lead to Y punishment. It's no different to everyone other Governing body.

Advertisement