Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ventilation around gas boiler?

• 08-11-2011 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Just wondering id anyone has any advice about ventilation around a gas boiler in my kitchen, I'm linking to an album with pictures of the boiler and the vents.

There is a small vent over the sink and now the days are getting colder there is a constant freezing wind blowing through it.

we have a carbon monoxide detector in the same room, would it be ok to plug up the vent, is there some sort of valved vents I can install to stop the freezing winds of **** flowing through me whole house.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

For a start don't rely entirely on a CO detector, you may never know if its faulty or not.

If properly installed and maintained, your gas boiler should be a fully sealed unit, and no flue gases should enter the room. That said I don't think it at all wise to seal up the only source a ventilation in the room, not only because if the boiler ever leaks you may get a build up of CO but it also helps reduce dampness. If the wind is howling through it look at fitting a vent hood on the outside or relocate it to a less exposed wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭whizbang

if the vent is near the boiler, build a box around the whole lot.
    Otherwise change the vent cover an adjustable opening type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

A lot depends on the age, type of boiler and how it is flued, if its an older model it may need the vent for combustion air as well as safety, as the boiler is in the kitchen other things like extractor fans must be taken into consideration.

I suggest that you ask your R.G.I. about vent options next time you are getting the boiler serviced, some boilers can appear to be room sealed but there are a lot of older models that are not even if they look like they have balanced flues.

There are different vents available that are designed not to cause the type of draughts you describe however they can be expensive, where gas is concerned it could be dangerous to advise on different types best left to the person who is actually looking at the boiler.

Advertisement