Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sell photos online

• 08-11-2011 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here sell there photos online. I'm not on about from your own site but through different site. Do you or can make a nice bit of money from it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

How long is a piece of string?

but to be serious about it.. It all depends on how good you are. If you are good at one type of photography and stick to it for a few years constantly uploading great work that has a market you COULD make some nice money from it.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

dazftw wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string?

but to be serious about it.. It all depends on how good you are. If you are good at one type of photography and stick to it for a few years constantly uploading great work that has a market you COULD make some nice money from it.

Possibly the best advice I have seen in a long while.

Photography is not a quick way of making money it takes years to build up an income - some people think if I buy a camera I could do weddings and make hundreds or even thousands per wedding and for some reason they dont think about the cost of the equipment, insurance, and the amount of learning they need to do before they can charge money for their service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I've only used one or two sites, just dipped my toes in the water to see what they're like. For most of them I've uploaded about 10 images and then forgotten about them).

Getty through Flickr:
    You can contribute 5 photos of 'Ireland' per month to the Getty Ireland group. They’ll be considered for addition to Getty Images.

There's also a Getty group that you can add 25 or so images per month for consideration.
    If Getty sell any you get a very small % of the sale, about 15%! For me I've had only 3 sales (about 15 images on Getty) but for 1 of them I got about €150, twice. It was a rugby photo bought by ESPN EMEA, it appears that they have to buy it each year so hopefully it'll be an annual thing for me!

I sold one through photos4me.com. Link goes to my portfolio, I've only 8 images there. I added 7 of them ages ago and then forgot about it, uplaoded 1 yesterday.
    Image sold (Galway Races Final bend ), I get £39 for it (higher % than Getty).

3. http://photodune.net/ Just heard about this one, I use a Foresttheme template and this is 'linked' to that. Someone just told me about it today so am going to look at it.

There's loads more sites out there......it's like picking a hotel in Bangkok- so many choices....

Overall here's what I think based on reading articles etc:
    1. You add some photos and let it be, if you get an odd sale or two grand.
    2. You spend a lot of time and effort at it, upload 1,000+ images, try to take photos that sell and expect more sales. It can be time consuming- uplaod large size file, think of as many key words as possible (vital), get model release form if anyone's in the photo etc.

Good luck with it,
    Pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

dinneenp wrote: »
    if you get an odd sale or two grand.

Two grand? :eek: Yes please!!! :D

Advertisement