Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior cert Wood Work 2012

Options
  • 08-11-2011 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi guys
    Made this thread so we can ask questions and share ideas on the Wood Work Junior Cert project 2012.

what brief did you choose, what are your ideas, were did you find good information or inspiration etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 iang198

Hey,
    I think I am going to do the 1st brief (higher level) I think this is the easiest brief there! I think brief 2 is impossible and brief 3 is also quite easy. At the moment i am thinking of just doing a simple enough table for the 1st brief!!
    Any other ideas?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 158_cm

For my project i'm thinking of choosing no.2 as i think it's different to the rest and would stand out more.

For brief no.1 i think 900mm squared is the maxium size.you could either have a folding built in chess board or drawer or maybe both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 M1C4HTRON13

yer I think I'll do 1st brief.
    not because its easiest I'd just like to make a table.
    I like the Idea of a chess board:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 iang198

Hey,
    What do you have to do for the folio. My teacher didn't explain he just us to do it!
    Please Help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 confused with woodwork

what do we have to do in the folder that goes with the project?
    our teacher wont explain just tells us to do it :mad:
    im especially confused with the research and investigation part

• Advertisement

dose it not say in your wood work book?

investigation & research write about every thing you looked at, compare the joints you are thinking of using and the same with wood and finishes

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The House Of Wolves

Have a look in your book. Depending on what one you what, it will have a sample folio in it. It will contain a brief and then the folio that the 'student' made alongside their piece.

Research and investigation entails listing your sources where you got ideas from, ie., websites, books, pre-existing pieces. Include images of the pieces you got your design ideas from, notes about the pieces (I liked the tapered legs but I didn't like the way there was only three legs, eg.).
    You HAVE to include your sources, you will loose marks very easily. It's rather like science. If you don't include your sources, there goes a few marks. You must always credit the original writer/designer, something that will continue on to college and through life.
    Hope this helps! I'm also doing my JC this year and this was a good test for myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 soccer12

i am doing no 2 higher . does anybody have any ideas that could help me with the design and how do you do the investigation research ??? :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Examkid 2k12

Sup Guys??:D
    Yeahh im doing the first choise on the wood breif aswell i know how to do evrything but i just need a little help on the breif...
    we dont have a woodwork book..
    and my
    we just use the exam papers which is really bad because it does not explain topics...
    woodwork teacher is hardly ever in the class room...:eek:
    soo i waqs wondering if you guys could help me out please...:)
    thanks...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cassidy2012

hi guys
    im doing the first brief and i was wondering are u allowed to include photos in the investigation and research.
    any help would be greatly appreciated :D

• Advertisement

hi guys
    im doing the first brief and i was wondering are u allowed to include photos in the investigation and research.
    any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Sure put in loads of pic's and stuff like that.
    Just make sure u say were u got the pic's form eg include a web address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 marshman94

whats your brief say also if your only starting now id go for easy and cheerful:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fannyadams

hi guys, the deadline for junior cert woodwork is in like a month from now and i am no where near done.. what am i going to do?? any idea's ? or any predictions for whats going to come up in the woodwork theory exam this summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

fannyadams wrote: »
    hi guys, the deadline for junior cert woodwork is in like a month from now and i am no where near done.. what am i going to do?? any idea's ? or any predictions for whats going to come up in the woodwork theory exam this summer?

If you do TG.. the drawing question is a must in woodwork, practice practice practice short questions, do all of them OL AND HL.
    Revise, chisels, veneering, finishes, power tools etc, stuff like that usually comes up.
    I wasnt allowed do the frawing question in my mock( they took away the equip!! ) and I got 68% without even opening the book.

As for practical, I am doing brief one, All I need to do is make 1 large drawer and 3 small drawers and I'm done... not to mention that vigerous sanding!! My wood teacher goes in at break n sometimes after school so it's handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fannyadams

I don't do TG :/ I got 79% in the mocks and I did nothing. Woodwork theory is common sense :/ Its the Projects i'm ****ting it about :/

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Marcus95

I am really bad at sketching,i have a fare it of my portfolio done but the sketching ive done is not up to scratch HELP!!

Marcus95 wrote: »
    I am really bad at sketching,i have a fare it of my portfolio done but the sketching ive done is not up to scratch HELP!!

get like a graph copy page and sketch it on that.. it's easier as it's squared then trace over it on normal paper... that's what a guy in my class did and it looks good. You really need to work on it though because a big part of the exam is sketching :/

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭graeme157

I always wait til the last minute. Only 3 school weeks til the deadline left and I'm only half done the project and haven't even thought about the portfolio. Most of my class are finishing the project this week. I'll never get it finished. I had it coming though. Didn't start the project til after christmas when everyone else was 4 weeks into the thing. :)

graeme157 wrote: »
    I always wait til the last minute. Only 3 school weeks til the deadline left and I'm only half done the project and haven't even thought about the portfolio. Most of my class are finishing the project this week. I'll never get it finished. I had it coming though. Didn't start the project til after christmas when everyone else was 4 weeks into the thing. :)

We did the whole portfolio first. Then started the project after christmas.. most people will be done by next week.. then a FUN week of sanding and varnishing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MariaW4794

Hey what do you put under design ideas/ solutions in the portfolio?
    Also what do you put in it full stop? :L Im so confused :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭KirkCheated09

MariaW4794 wrote: »
    Hey what do you put under design ideas/ solutions in the portfolio?
    Also what do you put in it full stop? :L Im so confused :P

hehe hate to be doing the portfolio, we did ours before the project.

Advertisement