Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHY DOESNT BRAY GET ITS OWN SECTION?

Options
  • 08-11-2011 7:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49

Greystones and Charlesland have their own section on the Wicklow section of Boards. Why doesnt Bray?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,302 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

In fairness, I'd say more than half the threads here are specific to Bray. There is a thread called "Best breakfast", but it isn't until you open it that you see it is about the best breakfast place in Bray. Hardly of much interest to the vast majority (geographically) of the county.

The Greystones & Charlesland forum started off as a hosted forum and was eventually moved to be a sub-forum of Wicklow. To be fair to them, it's a fairly active forum, but there really is no justification for its existence imo. Similarly, Bray does not warrant a forum of its own. If we were to go down that route then we'd end up with requests for a Mullingar sub-forum under Westmeath, a Portlaoise sub-forum under Laois, etc. It becomes pretty silly at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Zaph wrote: »
    The Greystones & Charlesland forum started off as a hosted forum and was eventually moved to be a sub-forum of Wicklow. To be fair to them, it's a fairly active forum, but there really is no justification for its existence imo. Similarly, Bray does not warrant a forum of its own. If we were to go down that route then we'd end up with requests for a Mullingar sub-forum under Westmeath, a Portlaoise sub-forum under Laois, etc. It becomes pretty silly at that point.

If you mean that the discussions happening in the Greystones/Charlesland forum over the last five years should have been taking place in the Wicklow forum, I have to vehemently disagree. Nobody outside of Greystones would ever read the Wicklow forum if that was the case.

Similarly, although it is a much quieter forum, if the Bray content increases as a proportion of the Wicklow forum, it will become a defacto Bray forum and the rest of the county won't be served.

Local discussions are of local interest. Having only broad regional forums serves to devalue local topics.

Maybe Boards believes local discussions are of lesser value, but personally, I've been a member for 10 years and have spent over 80% of my time here on the Greystones forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Zaph wrote: »
    I guess you could say the same about the Dublin 15 forum!

• Advertisement

I guess you could say the same about the Dublin 15 forum!

That's a fair point, but just looking at it on a purely statistical level:

Wicklow (excluding G&C) - created July 2007
    Threads - 936
    Posts - 6,808

Dublin 15 - created October 2007
    Threads - 1,037
    Posts - 16,954

I appreciate that the majority of posts in the Wicklow forum may be bray related, but the whole county has generated less than half the traffic of the D15 forum. and I could make similar comparisons against a lot of other forums. If you were to move Bray out into its own forum the Wicklow forum would probably have tumbleweed rolling through it, which does nobody any good either. The G&C forum is phenomenally successful considering the area it serves (over 30,000 posts), but that shouldn't be constantly used as proof that Bray, or any other town you care to mention, should have its own forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I don't think a Bray forum is warranted either!

It's just your comment about Mullingar sub forums etc struck me as a point that there is no merit in any very localised forum. :)

Advertisement